Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of complaints about how hard it is to meet one's neighbors and I am wondering about people who have had success with this and what their approach was.

I'm on vacation this week and have the time and the energy to engage in my favorite outdoor activity, yardwork. As a result (and possibly because I've been reading so many sad stories about this situation here on C-D) I've managed to meet two other neighbors who were also working in their yards.

So, the methods I've used to meet my neighbors are
  • Seeing a neighbor out in their yard who doesn't appear busy and saying "Hello, we haven't met. My name is Ellie." Then I usually learn where they went to school, who their family is, etc.
  • Going to a yard sales a few doors down and introducing myself as above and adding that I'm their neighbor. They usually tell me whose house I bought and half their life story before we're done.
  • Walking through the neighborhood and complimenting someone on whatever it is they happen to be doing to their yard. "I like that sandpile you have right there," and they reply "yeah, the kids love it, come join them if you want to."
  • Or, if I'm lucky, some other neighbor will flag me down and offer me a fresh cabbage from his garden, and I get to answer lots of questions and agree to keep the fence line mowed.

Now I'm not claiming that this is the answer to society's problems, but I do know that next time I go for a walk or drive down the street, whoever I see will wave and say hello.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Good suggestions! I've met a few of my neighbors while shoveling snow or walking a dog. I even talk to people in line at my post office.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,446 times
Work out a lot. Wait till summer. Get outside with your shirt off and start digging something or fixing something or even just washing your car. At least it was a good way to meet the women of my neighborhood

Old 04-13-2008, 11:51 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Work out a lot. Wait till summer. Get outside with your shirt off and start digging something or fixing something or even just washing your car. At least it was a good way to meet the women of my neighborhood
Yep, I'd talk to you.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
i am in a new developement and new to the state, so my usual shy self has had to come out of my shell. back "home", i didnt really know my neighbors by name unless i lived there for years. we would just wave and know eachother by sight.
if it was just me i would probably continue "my way", but i have a little one--and having a kid breaks the ice. other people with kids walk by and once the kids start to find eachother, the grownups kind of have to start talking or just stand there like dumbies...

Old 04-13-2008, 05:15 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
I make it a point to speak and say hello to everyone I come in contact with.
Most people will speak back but there have been a few in my life that have given me strange looks and have said nothing back. Hard to believe but it's true.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
After moving from a big city to a very rural area, we have been very fortunate in the "meeting the neighbors" area.
The day we signed the closing papers, we came out to our new place. We were walking through our woods, came out to the clearing to find a bunch of neighbors on our driveway on tractors, 4 wheelers and such. Very friendly and welcoming.
The remaining were met when doing "yard work". We had some clean up to do and we were building a shed. Of course, when a man hears a power tool, they usually have to find out what is going on.
We have met and made really good friends here, unlike the in the city. The type of friends that would be "chosen family".
I had been wanting to clean some scrub brush out of my front acres. Had mentioned it to one neighbor. Within 3 days, I woke up to find a backhoe and two tractors working on my property, doing exactly what I desired. When I asked "why and how much" , they replied "nothing mam, this is how we work out here in the country, we are neighbors and we take care of each other". I even offered to pay for the gas for their machines and they refused.
It has been a year now. I have to admit, that moving rurally did take a bit of adjustment, but I wouldn't change it for the world ! I LOVE the closeness of the community.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
We have lived in the neighborhood about 15 years.

When we drive by, we always wave to the neighbors and they wave back.

I don't know their names, and really don't care.

I only know them as The People Across the Street, the Chinese Lady, The Fat Guy in the Wheelchair, the Mexicans, the Black Guy With the White Wife, The Other Black Guy, The Old Guy With the Cats, The Terrorist, The Cancer Guy's Widow, The Crazy Guy, Wood Man's Widow, etc.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

I only know them as The People Across the Street, the Chinese Lady, The Fat Guy in the Wheelchair, the Mexicans, the Black Guy With the White Wife, The Other Black Guy, The Old Guy With the Cats, The Terrorist, The Cancer Guy's Widow, The Crazy Guy, Wood Man's Widow, etc.
LOL--we have neighbors like that too, only their names are Thorazine (he seems heavily medicated), Thorazine's brother and the Prevert (our registered sex offender).

Other than the unsavory types, we know most of our neighbors from working outside and walking the dog. The majority are good people.

In August there is a national Neighbor's Night Out and we always have some sort of get-together on our block--they range from simple to elaborate, depending on who organizes them. We also have a neighborhood garage sale every year. Both of tose are good ways to meet your neighbors.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

lol--we used to have:
the cowboy-cause he wore a cowboy hat to mow the lawn--in NJ no less.
the shop rite cold cut lady who said hi on the street sometimes, but never when we were getting cold cuts--acted like she didnt know us though she lived across the street
"these people"--the ones directly next door
the old man--from across the street
the old lady that takes walks--from down the street
too funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships