U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 PM

5,335 posts, read 3,382,401 times

Advertisements

I tried it, OP, and it didn't work out - mainly because email allows for such a close intimate frequent OPEN way of communicating which can have a different effect on friendship than how friendships were BEFORE the existence of email.

Your friendship might work out though. An attempt at re-knowing a person, does not, of course, fail in all instances.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 AM

3,918 posts, read 2,554,134 times
Keep in mind just because he sent you a friend request on Facebook doesn't mean he wants to hang out with or talk to you in real life. He may but I wouldn't count on it. Many people send friend requests just so they can increase the number of "friends" on Facebook.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM

86 posts, read 32,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Keep in mind just because he sent you a friend request on Facebook doesn't mean he wants to hang out with or talk to you in real life. He may but I wouldn't count on it. Many people send friend requests just so they can increase the number of "friends" on Facebook.
Well he has over 600 friends on Facebook. Do they treat friends like "followers" or something?

I have noticed to that most of my friends on Facebook don't message me unless I message them.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 PM

5,407 posts, read 8,101,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
Well he has over 600 friends on Facebook. Do they treat friends like "followers" or something?

I have noticed to that most of my friends on Facebook don't message me unless I message them.
FB friends are not "real friends". Sure some of them may be in one's personal life, but on average, 70+% of most people's FB friends are people they've never even met or maybe met once.

Unless a person has the type of job in which they travel all over, meet many different people, etc., I don't believe they know all the people they have as FB friends.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 PM

3,918 posts, read 2,554,134 times
Quote:

Yes, they're more like followers. He probably has never even met many of his "friends" IRL. People who have a large number of friends like he does are interested in pumping up that number. I guess they think it makes them look popular.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 PM

5,904 posts, read 5,252,185 times
When I read the title I thought he may have reached out to you but it sounds like you are just picking a person from your past and thinking maybe they will be your friend.

He has a family. His spare time won't be spent with you. You probably won't talk on the phone more than once. You will never go anywhere together. I am sure he already has people he does things with in his spare time.

You have to find a person in the same stage of life and situation as you are.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:11 PM

797 posts, read 1,421,301 times
Quote:
I am sorry to hear that, how incredibly rude of them.

I think you missed my point and I wasn't really being literal. Facebook friends are not really friends and many people friend request others without having a real interest in being friends. I only count real life friends as friends.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM

213 posts, read 67,876 times
I agree it’s probably just a Facebook request.
My earlier reply was because I was burned before.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:02 PM

86 posts, read 32,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I think you missed my point and I wasn't really being literal. Facebook friends are not really friends and many people friend request others without having a real interest in being friends. I only count real life friends as friends.
I miss having real life friends. There is just something too unpersonal with online friends. I think that is what I miss, someone who I can just hang out with in person and goof off with.

Internet friends are NOT a replacement for real life friends. Took me a while to learn that one.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,567,011 times
Quote:
Hey guys, a little background with me and my old friend. I knew him since he was literally in diapers. We were friends for a lot of my childhood, then we stopped talking and became friends again in middle school. To make it short, he was a trouble maker so I stayed away from him. Like almost a decade later, he has a wife and kids I think.

Should I try to be friends with him again?
Naw….He likely is the same personality that made you quit being his friend earlier.....Why go back. Make some new adult friends....people who have things in common with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or