Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 06:06 PM

108 posts, read 73,143 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, a little background with me and my old friend. I knew him since he was literally in diapers. We were friends for a lot of my childhood, then we stopped talking and became friends again in middle school. To make it short, he was a trouble maker so I stayed away from him. Like almost a decade later, he has a wife and kids I think.

Should I try to be friends with him again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
To me, friendships are 50/50, but I realize that someone has to make the very 1st initiation, so hey, if you want to, try & see!

I'm sure you'll be able to sense or tell if he wants to start a friendship again & if you guys do, remember, friendships are 50/50 in which no one person's doing most of the calling, initiating to hang out, etc. because no one's any better than the other person, so they need to EQUALLY value the friendship.

But remember, since he's married w/ kids, expect him not to get together much...maybe about once or twice a year, IF even that. I have an SO, but no kids yet, but w/ my schedule & my (single & childless) cousin's, we can only manage to get together about once a year & we talk on the phone once a month, which comes around fast.

Hope it works out!

Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm sure you'll be able to sense or tell if he wants to start a friendship again & if you guys do, remember, friendships are 50/50 in which no one person's doing most of the calling, initiating to hang out, etc. because no one's any better than the other person, so they need to EQUALLY value the friendship.

Hope it works out!
He sent me a friend request on facebook out of nowhere one time. I never messaged him back but now I did; so I want to see where it goes. He was pretty cool but he just was a troublemaker. I really hope that he has changed and settled down on all those things.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:19 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
I have done that.
For me it wasn’t cheap.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I have done that.
For me it wasn’t cheap.
What do you mean by it wasn't cheap?

Old 05-15-2019, 06:22 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
He sent me a friend request on facebook out of nowhere one time. I never messaged him back but now I did; so I want to see where it goes. He was pretty cool but he just was a troublemaker. I really hope that he has changed and settled down on all those things.
Having a wife and child is a fairly strong indicator. Not a slam dunk, but a good start. No reason not to give it a shot and see where it goes! If he PMs you back and asks you what afternoon you're free to go out robbing liquor stores and holding up banks just for old times' sake, you'll know it wasn't such a bright idea after all, and you can come up with some sort of excuse.

By the way... none of my business, but... you do realize your screen name is misspelled, right? They can fix that for you, you know.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Having a wife and child is a fairly strong indicator. Not a slam dunk, but a good start. No reason not to give it a shot and see where it goes! If he PMs you back and asks you what afternoon you're free to go out robbing liquor stores and holding up banks just for old times' sake, you'll know it wasn't such a bright idea after all, and you can come up with some sort of excuse.

By the way... none of my business, but... you do realize your screen name is misspelled, right? They can fix that for you, you know.
I hope I hear a reply from him. I need some kind of real life friend after my last one moved away.

I guess I can message them to see if they can correct the typo.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:10 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
Hey guys, a little background with me and my old friend. I knew him since he was literally in diapers. We were friends for a lot of my childhood, then we stopped talking and became friends again in middle school. To make it short, he was a trouble maker so I stayed away from him. Like almost a decade later, he has a wife and kids I think.

Should I try to be friends with him again?
Why ask us? Especially since you provide no information. You don't give us any reason to imagine you should be friends. Were you going to base a friendship on his having a wife and kids?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
People friend request on Facebook at the drop of a hat. I have many "Facebook" friends who requested me and I truly believe they wouldn't give me the time of day.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
People friend request on Facebook at the drop of a hat. I have many "Facebook" friends who requested me and I truly believe they wouldn't give me the time of day.
I am sorry to hear that, how incredibly rude of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships