Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:52 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's not so much about her, but the mindset in general … what makes certain people ambitious and others not?
Could we turn that and ask what makes some people avaricious and others not? What you see as ambitious she may see as materialistic, and maybe she's content with what she has. Maybe you could look at it as she's smart enough to realize when she has enough to live the lifestyle she wants without making herself miserable constantly wanting ever more.
Quote:
I guess it comes down to ppl wanting it easy but I dont see how anyone grows as a person from constant monotony day in & day out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think this is very, very common. There are people who don't aspire to be educated, to be informed, to be cultured. No, people don't strive for "the best." Isn't that obvious when you see all the people who eat at fast food joints and watch junk TV? They're more interested in what's easy and effortless.
I think this is a common mistake, people assuming that not going after a 'respectable, well paying career' means someone is lazy, uninformed, etc. Another mistake is assuming that someone without a formal education must not be intelligent, not interested in growing and learning. The word 'educated' is not a synonym for intelligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 05:04 AM

307 posts, read 255,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
Honestly, in retrospect, if I were to do it all over again, I'd have saved my tuition money, kept reading books for self education, and never quit waitressing. I'm somewhat successful in my career, but eh...I think living more simply is more appealing to me as I grow older. Your friend may just have the right idea.

Yep me too...I love learning but I think that that college was a waste of my time ultimately (although I loved art school..I ended up with a BFA in Graphic Design that I never really used). At any rate I kinda envy people in low stress jobs...that's what I'm after right now...I have kids at home and really don't' want to have a high stress job that makes my life more chaotic. I'm also a homebody the downside to low stress jobs is that they often don't pay that much...and of course not all low paying jobs are low stress...I've worked for some non for profit companies that had horrible atmospheres!

Last edited by BabyBear1234; 05-18-2019 at 06:09 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 05:54 AM

157 posts, read 93,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
the downside to low stress jobs is that they often don't pay that much..
For me, that also kind of goes along with my "If I had the chance to do it over." I imagine I'd be living a lifestyle requiring less income in the first place. (Though, I suppose I might be romanticizing that off grid, rustic life somewhat.)

And, regarding waitressing, anyway...no need to hit the gym after 8 hours of waiting tables 5 days a week. Life becomes simpler already.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:11 AM

307 posts, read 255,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
For me, that also kind of goes along with my "If I had the chance to do it over." I imagine I'd be living a lifestyle requiring less income in the first place. (Though, I suppose I might be romanticizing that off grid, rustic life somewhat.)

And, regarding waitressing, anyway...no need to hit the gym after 8 hours of waiting tables 5 days a week. Life becomes simpler already.

Yep, I would definitely try to live more within my means. I'm now paying (literally in the form of student loans) for the stupidity of my youth!

The job I have now is somewhat physical also so that helps keep me in shape..although I do enjoy exercising (walking/weights) so I make time for that throughout the week.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:17 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I have a friend who has worked at a grocery store for years. She worked her way up and is now one of the sub-managers and makes quite a decent living.

There is NOTHING wrong with that unless you want to live over your means. Sure, she doesn't make a huge dollar amount, but she has her own condo and lives quite happy and content.

To each their own OP.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:15 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't know. I would hate cashiering.
I DID hate being a cashier. Most better jobs required typing, which I didn't know how to do, so I checked into secretarial schools and ended up attending one, and that led to a management career in public transportation.

Sometimes dissatisfaction is what one needs to get moving. Others who weren't me might have been fine continuing as a cashier and in a retail job.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:44 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
I guess & different strokes for different folks, i realize that, but IDK I just dont understand if there are opportunities to grow your skillset & career, why wouldnt you?

I guess it comes down to ppl wanting it easy but I dont see how anyone grows as a person from constant monotony day in & day out
But you don't KNOW that her day is constant monotony - you know what YOU would consider it. If she's working retail, there could be a lot of rewards in that. When I was working at a chain bookstore, I made some of the closest friends in my life and still am close to them 20 years later, and I met a lot of people most would describe as "high achieving" who had burned out or realized the path to material/professional success was not what they thought it was or maybe what they wanted. One of the smartest guys I met there was an older man who had mostly worked at minimum wage-type jobs and never went to college. He mostly did what he wanted with life, living very frugally and just kind of drifting. That is the life he wanted, and he's one of the happiest people I know.

You cannot sit in judgment of other people's lives solely based on your personal standards.

I went to an Ivy League college. Never got a graduate degree. My two best friends have multiple grad degrees among them. I could "improve" my life by going for another degree, but ... I just don't want to devote my time to that. I have other interests, and my job is pretty awesome. It's the life I want.

You have NO IDEA what life she wants. Even if she posts it on facebook that she wants XXXX, you don't know because people don't put their true selves out there necessarily. So stop rubbernecking and offer your wise advice only if she asks.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:02 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Quote:
I'm sure this has been posted before but an acquaintance of mine got me thinking

She is 37. Dropped out of college, has no degree (not even associates) and works @ a food store. Now there is nothing wrong with this, she obviously earns enough to make a living, but for me, I don't understand why someone like this would not take measures to get themselves into a better job situation.

I have no idea if she is happy doing that job or not, I just know for myself, I am ambitious and I would do something like that as a temporary situation while either trying to go back to school or get a new job, but this woman has been in the same scenario since 20 years old.

This person doesn't seem to do want to do either. I get college isn't cheap, but with online colleges being the new thing now & the fact that she IS working, I don't see online college being so out of reach for her. They are very accommodating to working people and if she looked into financial assistance, maybe she would qualify .. or you take out a loan like a responsible adult.

Does anyone know anyone like this? If she is happy, it's not anyone's place to judge, but I don't really understand this mindset. Wouldn't you want to strive for the very best in life?
Yes, the entire state of Oregon! LOL. I loved it there when I lived there, per the beauty and outdoor activities. But many people up there are completely satisfied just riding their bike to their little job as a barista. I am a little jealous of that kind of emotional peace, but being a fighter and a competitor by nature, also find it annoying.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:14 AM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
not everyone wants to work at a cubical farm. I know people like this who prefer a small life and they don't tend to get caught up into the superficial niceties of life. Let them be who they want to be. Not everyone is driven to the same level as it should be. Contrary to common belief, we're not ALL EQUAL in our abilities or desires. some people march to a different drum. It's not your job to control them. Although it seems like you see a much greater potential, she sounds more content than you do. I suspect you are her mother. So it's natural to want more for those you love.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:22 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
What people choose to do with their life is their business. I chose to quit a full-time job that I’ve worked at for over a decade in retail to live on ssdi. Management was horrible and refused to give me Sundays off so I could attend Church. My faith in God is more important than $$$. If anyone wants to judge me for not working then that’s their problem
You went on SSDI, so you could go to church?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships