U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:18 PM

5,383 posts, read 2,997,103 times

Advertisements

Checkers are often union scale, and they make better money than you might think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 03:25 PM

4,496 posts, read 1,346,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Checkers are often union scale, and they make better money than you might think!
Some food store workers get good benefits and a pension.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:28 PM

6,359 posts, read 2,285,056 times
JDawg,

I have a BIL that hasn't held a job in...about 10 years. His wife works, and they get income from a little house they rent out in the city...but it's barely enough for them to get by. They don't ask other people for money, but he's the kind of guy who LOVES to tell other people what they should do, and he's the kind of guy that measures out the toilet paper so someone doesn't use too much.

He used to be a union employed iron fitter until he hurt his back way back in the day, and then for a time, he worked as a carpenter for our local school district, but he got fired from that job...and now he does nothing. If it's not a union job, it's not good enough for him.

He has all the time in the world to better himself, go back to school, heck, even get a job at McDonald's...but nope, he'd rather stay home, smoke some dope, and tell everyone else what to do.
Yeah...he's a low ambition kind of guy.

Heck, I'm a low ambition person. I'm pretty content with my life at this point...I don't need more.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,616,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm sure this has been posted before but an acquaintance of mine got me thinking

She is 37. Dropped out of college, has no degree (not even associates) and works @ a food store. Now there is nothing wrong with this, she obviously earns enough to make a living, but for me, I don't understand why someone like this would not take measures to get themselves into a better job situation.

I have no idea if she is happy doing that job or not, I just know for myself, I am ambitious and I would do something like that as a temporary situation while either trying to go back to school or get a new job, but this woman has been in the same scenario since 20 years old.

This person doesn't seem to do want to do either. I get college isn't cheap, but with online colleges being the new thing now & the fact that she IS working, I don't see online college being so out of reach for her. They are very accommodating to working people and if she looked into financial assistance, maybe she would qualify .. or you take out a loan like a responsible adult.

Does anyone know anyone like this? If she is happy, it's not anyone's place to judge, but I don't really understand this mindset. Wouldn't you want to strive for the very best in life?
We値l talk about sitting in judgement of others and projecting a sense of superiority

Old 05-17-2019, 03:50 PM

1,389 posts, read 539,160 times
Quote:
I'm sure this has been posted before but an acquaintance of mine got me thinking

She is 37. Dropped out of college, has no degree (not even associates) and works @ a food store. Now there is nothing wrong with this, she obviously earns enough to make a living, but for me, I don't understand why someone like this would not take measures to get themselves into a better job situation.

I have no idea if she is happy doing that job or not, I just know for myself, I am ambitious and I would do something like that as a temporary situation while either trying to go back to school or get a new job, but this woman has been in the same scenario since 20 years old.

This person doesn't seem to do want to do either. I get college isn't cheap, but with online colleges being the new thing now & the fact that she IS working, I don't see online college being so out of reach for her. They are very accommodating to working people and if she looked into financial assistance, maybe she would qualify .. or you take out a loan like a responsible adult.

Does anyone know anyone like this? If she is happy, it's not anyone's place to judge, but I don't really understand this mindset. Wouldn't you want to strive for the very best in life?
Everyone on this planet takes different paths in life.At the end of the day..it doesn't make anyone better then any else if one chooses to take the route of college over someone who doesn't. I know you're not saying that BUT it's suggested that she could do better if she went to college or did something besides what she's doing. Maybe she's happy maybe she isn't or maybe she is content with what she is doing.At the end of the day..it doesn't matter what path we all take..all of us no matter degree or not will come to an end and it is up to us if we were happy in our lifes or not.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:50 PM

9,381 posts, read 13,345,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
JDawg,

I have a BIL that hasn't held a job in...about 10 years. His wife works, and they get income from a little house they rent out in the city...but it's barely enough for them to get by. They don't ask other people for money, but he's the kind of guy who LOVES to tell other people what they should do, and he's the kind of guy that measures out the toilet paper so someone doesn't use too much.

He used to be a union employed iron fitter until he hurt his back way back in the day, and then for a time, he worked as a carpenter for our local school district, but he got fired from that job...and now he does nothing. If it's not a union job, it's not good enough for him.

He has all the time in the world to better himself, go back to school, heck, even get a job at McDonald's...but nope, he'd rather stay home, smoke some dope, and tell everyone else what to do.
Yeah...he's a low ambition kind of guy.

Heck, I'm a low ambition person. I'm pretty content with my life at this point...I don't need more.
I知 really not judging this girl. I just think if there are more opportunities out there, why not take them?

Old 05-17-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
We値l talk about sitting in judgement of others and projecting a sense of superiority
Thanks for being rude. You値l go far in life

Old 05-17-2019, 04:42 PM

1,222 posts, read 891,376 times
Someone has to work at the grocery store. Why can’t it be her? Maybe she’s content not having a massive amount of responsibility and stress and making enough to get by.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:58 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,616,221 times
Quote:
Thanks for being rude. You値l go far in life
I have thanks

Old 05-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Someone has to work at the grocery store. Why can稚 it be her? Maybe she痴 content not having a massive amount of responsibility and stress and making enough to get by.
I guess & different strokes for different folks, i realize that, but IDK I just dont understand if there are opportunities to grow your skillset & career, why wouldnt you?

I guess it comes down to ppl wanting it easy but I dont see how anyone grows as a person from constant monotony day in & day out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or