U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,617,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Iím really not judging this girl. I just think if there are more opportunities out there, why not take them?

Yes you are. Women dontít need to shape their life and choices according to other peoplesí Standards. She may be happy with her choice, she may take pride in her job,who knows but Iím really thankful for all the people who provide services we need to function in society be it Doctor, plumber, garbage collector, or shop assistant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I guess & different strokes for different folks, i realize that, but IDK I just dont understand if there are opportunities to grow your skillset & career, why wouldnt you?

I guess it comes down to ppl wanting it easy but I dont see how anyone grows as a person from constant monotony day in & day out
But you are deciding what skill sets others should have when in fact some people can be working as a waiter/ress or cashier and enjoying learning to skydive, do photography, learn a language. Growing as a person is not dependent on a certificate from a college. There are plenty of people academically educated who have no growth intellectually or emotionally.
The world is filled with educated derelicts.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:13 PM

7,552 posts, read 4,814,136 times
Quote:
I guess & different strokes for different folks, i realize that, but IDK I just dont understand if there are opportunities to grow your skillset & career, why wouldnt you?

I guess it comes down to ppl wanting it easy but I dont see how anyone grows as a person from constant monotony day in & day out
You will never understand it because that is not who you are. It's not your thing, but it's someone else's thing. Why can't you just accept that? It seems like you're looking for a reason to judge other despite adamantly claiming you aren't. Your definition of ambition is not someone else's. Not everyone cares about the same things you do and that's okay. And that's all there is to it. No need to keep asking why just leave them alone and quit thinking about them. There is nothing to understand.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:14 PM

9,428 posts, read 13,357,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
But you are deciding what skill sets others should have when in fact some people can be working as a waiter/ress or cashier and enjoying learning to skydive, do photography, learn a language. Growing as a person is not dependent on a certificate from a college. There are plenty of people academically educated who have no growth intellectually or emotionally.
The world is filled with educated derelicts.
Im not telling anyone what to do with their lives. If you would read, I am simply asking the reason behind such a mindset.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Im not telling anyone what to do with their lives. If you would read, I am simply asking the reason behind such a mindset.
Well youíd need to ask her. As it is I donít see how anyone can presume there is anything wrong with her decision or mindset.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:43 PM

5,362 posts, read 2,724,371 times
Quote:
Iím really not judging this girl. I just think if there are more opportunities out there, why not take them?
Maybe she doesn't want to. If you're looking for the reason why, maybe that IS the reason why. And trust me, it's a legitimate reason. But if you really want to know, go ask her, not us, but don't be surprised if she tells you it's none of your business. She'll be right.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:08 PM

579 posts, read 121,501 times
I guess one could also look at the OP another way too. If everyone was very ambitious and became the best person they could be, then...

There would be no under achievers around for them to see, that would make them feel better about themselves.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I guess one could also look at the OP another way too. If everyone was very ambitious and became the best person they could be, then...

There would be no under achievers around for them to see, that would make them feel better about themselves.
well dagnabbit

Old 05-17-2019, 06:44 PM

13,106 posts, read 17,674,359 times
Quote:
Looking at some of your posts - did you progress?

Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 PM

4,532 posts, read 1,350,256 times
Quote:

Quote:
You said she dropped out of college. Do you know why? You said she's smart, but it's possible college courses were too difficult for her. Or maybe her family was having financial problems and she needed to drop out to work full time. Or maybe she got raped (1 out of every 4 or 5 women are raped at college) and it completely messed up her life. Or maybe she got involved with drugs. Or maybe [fill in the blank].

The bottom line: It's not your business, and you don't need to understand "such a mindset".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or