Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 02:06 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times

Advertisements

To me, “bettering oneself,” is not about what job/career path you choose and how you are climbing the educational/money/title ladder. It is about how you treat people and make a positive impact on the world and others around you... this may have nothing to do with your career choice.

I highly dislike when people talk about their education/job/career and judge others’ choices. I highly dislike when people ask me “So what do YOU do?” Gross. Talking to someone with the OP’s sentiment would have me looking for the nearest exit. Too bad so many people, including some of my family, are this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 02:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Indeed. When you tell someone to better themselves, you are basically saying, you are not good enough [for me].

Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Indeed. When you tell someone to better themselves, you are basically saying, you are not good enough [for me].

I think that, bottom line, that is the case. And honestly, I don't even have a problem with that.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:39 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, it should not, but it often does. A healthy relationship also requires that both have a somewhat similar level of expectations and aspirations so that neither one feels left behind or superior.

I think women are on average more demanding (to put it mildly) on men than the other way round. Might have to do with traditional roles...
I guess this is a relationship needs thing, but that kind of thinking is a deal breaker for me. It seems old school - as you said, traditional roles. While men might seem less demanding than women, you can't force them to respect you either. It's not too hard to figure out, as they would tend to be paternalistic if they felt superior.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Perfect answer. I recently took a day off because of a blizzard and my cell phone rang and texted several times throughout the day although I wasn't getting paid because I wasn't in the office. It was simple questions that I didn't mind answering but the point is the day off the time clock was not a day off of work completely. I agree that no one is likely to be calling OP's friend to ask her where the soup is stocked while she's home trying to catch up on Grey's Anatomy.

I really wish people would stop judging those that don't have "good jobs" in their opinion and just appreciate the fact that they choose to be an honest productive member of society in any function. Thank god that someone is willing to make my sandwich or lay tar on roads so that I can drive down to Jimmy Johns and grab lunch on my break from my "big important" job. Praise be to the ones that maintain the sewer systems and pick up the garbage so we don't have to live in filth. Lastly thank you to the food store worker for keeping those shelves full so that I don't have to maintain a garden, can vegetables, raise my own chickens and hunt my own food. I don't have the vaguest idea where a taco even lives or how to trap one on my own!

What I do know is that I have a very small house, my car is going on 10 years old but still looks and runs like new and my engagement ring cost less than my current phone. My job doesn't pay big bucks but I love what I do and who I work with and not everyone can honestly say that. Not everyone needs bigger and better "things" or money to fill their life. I'm also still paying student loans for a degree I no longer use and wish I hadn't gotten. For all we know the OP's friend is happier than all of us and goes to sleep smiling every night and wakes up laughing. Maybe the last laugh is that by quitting college and simplifying her life she has bettered herself way beyond what OP could every understand.
Perhaps the best post in this thread.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
To me, “bettering oneself,” is not about what job/career path you choose and how you are climbing the educational/money/title ladder. It is about how you treat people and make a positive impact on the world and others around you... this may have nothing to do with your career choice.

I highly dislike when people talk about their education/job/career and judge others’ choices. I highly dislike when people ask me “So what do YOU do?” Gross. Talking to someone with the OP’s sentiment would have me looking for the nearest exit. Too bad so many people, including some of my family, are this way.
I totally agree! Self-improvement is not solely career-wise, but emotionally, spiritually, etc. too. I don't know why so many are all about "what a person does" either. Society has it in their mind that one's career/job is what defines them. That shouldn't be the case at all.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I totally agree! Self-improvement is not solely career-wise, but emotionally, spiritually, etc. too. I don't know why so many are all about "what a person does" either. Society has it in their mind that one's career/job is what defines them. That shouldn't be the case at all.
I think it’s sad that people can be totally defined/stereotyped by a particular job (as the OP did to her friend). I think this is a big American thing... I would love to live in a place where no one ever asks that, so there are no pre-conceived notions from it when you meet people.

I like getting to know people without the filter of their career/accomplishments/social class, etc... And btw I am proud/happy with my work/business - I just don’t feel like talking about it on my downtime. I like to compartmentalize it.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:41 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I hope they didn't poop them out.

I wish people had a desire to better their spelling.
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's kind of disturbing and paternalistic to be thinking about this woman in this way, as well as narrow minded. She's just going about her life, and you feel a need to question it, yes judge it as something "wrong" and question why she wouldn't be doing what you think is best.
Who is this directed at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think some of those types get stuck thinking someone is going to come along and save them instead of them looking at what THEY could do to improve their own lives. I knew a woman like that when my daughter was growing up and friends with her kid. She was always broke, always having problems with the daughter, and she kept saying, 'The problem is that I don't have a husband to help me with any of this."

She'd been married and divorced three times--two grown sons with the first husband who left her for a younger woman, daughter with the second crazy husband who went to prison, no kids with the last one, who'd married her to get a green card and stay in the USA until his REAL fiance could come up from Costa Rica, which everyone else figured out immediately but she acted shocked and surprised when it ended the way it did.

A husband was not the solution she needed. Taking responsibility for her own life would have gotten her farther.
I think that was the case on those sites. It was predictable. Some single mom with no marketable skills all of a sudden the found herself broke because she got a divorce.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
It could be worse, she could be "working" for one of these Multi-Level marketing "business opportunities."

Old 05-21-2019, 03:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:

Excellent comments. Jackie Kennedy said "If you fail as a parent, it really doesn't matter what success you have in life".

Being kind to people and making a difference is so much more important

Quote:
I think it’s sad that people can be totally defined/stereotyped by a particular job (as the OP did to her friend). I think this is a big American thing... I would love to live in a place where no one ever asks that, so there are no pre-conceived notions from it when you meet people.

I like getting to know people without the filter of their career/accomplishments/social class, etc... And btw I am proud/happy with my work/business - I just don’t feel like talking about it on my downtime. I like to compartmentalize it.
It's so refreshing to travel in Europe, especially Ireland and the UK, people actually can have conversations about various subjects. All Americans know how to say when they meet someone say a party is "what do you do?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships