Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 08:12 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,155,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Diss, if this person were truly your friend, she'd know how uncomfortable you are in such situations and wouldn't have pushed you into it.
An argument could be made that she pushed him into it because she is a true friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 08:45 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
An argument could be made that she pushed him into it because she is a true friend.
Good to see that the "introvert = bad, extrovert = good" argument is still running rampant here.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:15 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
texan2yankee's comments seem uncalled for, but he/she is correct that you won't have these opportunities as you get older...and you'll likely regret having passed on them.
This has got to be one of the most brilliant posts in this thread. The coolest, most off-the-wall meeting situations happen when you're YOUNG. When you get older, you no longer have those opportunities. Case in point: I was 19, drinking at a party at some guy's house. I went into the backyard to smoke a cigarette, and started talking to some girl. Suddenly, we saw the Red and Blue Lights of Death out front. So we snuck out the back gate, ran down the alley, and hid in a nearby train station. We talked for a while, then she called a cab and I caught a train. She look a liking to me, so we exchanged numbers. I knew she was into me, because she started rubbing her hair against me and holding my hand with fingers intertwined. Unfortunately, young and stupid me ruined everything by calling her too many times. But what if I didn't? Can you imagine how cool it would have been to date someone after having met while narrowly escaping the cops? Such meeting encounters just don't happen when you're older. Yeah, you meet in more "adult" ways, which is fine, and yet... it lacks that fun intriguing factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
we have many chances to be emotionally brave and vulnerable, or not, early in life. eventually, those chances diminish to zero and there are no more chances.
That's Blue Pill talk. In reality, being vulnerable is a kiss of death for a man. Yeah, it's politically correct, and may even win approval in the short term, but in the grand scheme of things, it's an easy way to lose a woman's respect. And once a woman's stops respecting a man, she loses attraction toward him.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:47 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Diss, if this person were truly your friend, she'd know how uncomfortable you are in such situations and wouldn't have pushed you into it.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Good to see that the "introvert = bad, extrovert = good" argument is still running rampant here.
Nah, just offering a different perspective.

Being pushed outside your comfort zone can often be rewarding.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Sorry if I don't find telling someone that a trait of their core personality is "wrong" to be "just offering a different perspective."

I know society at large thinks it's okay to dump all over introverts that way, but that doesn't mean it's not an antiquated notion we should stop clinging to.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,292 times
Quote:
If someone did that to me, we would not remain friends.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:53 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Sorry if I don't find telling someone that a trait of their core personality is "wrong" to be "just offering a different perspective."

I know society at large thinks it's okay to dump all over introverts that way, but that doesn't mean it's not an antiquated notion we should stop clinging to.
Extroverts can frequently benefit from being pushed out of their comfort zone, too.

djsuperfly, your insecurities are showing.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Extroverts can frequently benefit from being pushed out of their comfort zone, too.

djsuperfly, your insecurities are showing.
All you are again saying is:

Extrovert=right
Introvert=wrong

You're so conditioned to believe this that you find it to be "insecurities."

Old 05-21-2019, 06:28 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Except that none of those posts mentioned introvert/extrovert. You inserted that.

And I'm saying that as a proud introvert, btw.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:59 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:

There is a difference between being pushed out of your comfort zone (I am 'pushed' at work often) and being ambushed while being totally unprepared, by someone who is supposed to be a friend and wants to help you.
I'm pretty sure most of you who think this is someone trying to help, would be talking out of the other side of your mouths if one of your friends tried to force you into doing something you thought was pointless or stupid. "What do you mean you don't drink, I think you need it to be sociable, guess what's in that glass in your hand!" -being bent to someone else's belief because they think it's good for you is not friendship.

Last edited by DubbleT; 05-21-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships