U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 PM

5,649 posts, read 8,630,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your friend/acquaintance is being scammed.

I would bring it up once when you meet again about elderly men and women in the US being scammed. Many times from someone in Eastern Europe.

I don't normally watch Dr. Phil but last week caught part of an episode where this exact thing was happening. An elderly widow who showed no signs of dementia was being scammed out several thousand dollars(I believe it was in the six fiugures) by the time his son and DIL got wind of it. The show even tracked down where the woman lived(also much younger and pretty) and no one recognized her photo.

It does happen, I doubt very much it's just a case of him showing you a photo on his phone that he put there, he is being taken for a ride.

It's up to you how you want to handle it, if it was me I would least attempt to inform him of scams like this and if possible try and track down his former wife or adult children and inform them.

At least you know you tried.
Thanks Seain. John did text back that heíll call me sometime tomorrow. I have no idea how to track down his family, and I donít know any of his friends. I think Iíll just try to meet him for coffee and inform him of scams as gently as possible and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:04 PM

172 posts, read 68,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, a 30-year-old "Ukrainian" ballet dancer supposedly is in love with a 70-yr-old American geezer? How obvious can you get.

And btw, "Olga" isn't even a Ukrainian name. It's a Russian name. If he doesn't believe that it's a scam, you could drop that on him. Such a classic fake scenario; the guy behind the keyboard couldn't even bother to come up with a nationality-appropriate name.

Plenty if Ukranian women are named Olga. Plenty of ethnic Russians named Olga live in Ukraine.

That said I think the only scam in this is that there is a woman named Olga and she wants to use John to get to the US and stay in the US. The reason why it takes her time to respond to his messages is because she is talking to several men at the same time. Whoever comes through first will be the husband. She will be accepting money from all the others like John.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM

172 posts, read 68,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Thanks Seain. John did text back that heíll call me sometime tomorrow. I have no idea how to track down his family, and I donít know any of his friends. I think Iíll just try to meet him for coffee and inform him of scams as gently as possible and leave it at that.
He probably won't listen. To end this once and for all I suppose you can tell him that you plan to call immigration. And maybe it is a good idea to do so.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM

564 posts, read 152,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Yes, this is what I need to figure out.... Did he actually meet her in person in Kiev? He was very vague at dinner on it and I did not have time to question him fully. And he had no other pictures from their time together - just the posed picture of her. My friend believes that Olga is indeed a real woman with a real 7 y.o. who wants a better life by marrying an American (even a 70 y.o. who doesn’t speak her language)...

He said she speaks very limited English, but is now taking classes so they can communicate. He also mentioned something about her needing to know some English for the Visa or marriage license (can’t remember which), which I didn’t really understand..
You could ask the photo of that “ ballerina” and do a search- reverse search, google image search- you may find the same photos with a different name.
The scammers are not even Russians- they could be some ethnic groups in London, India, etc.
If you can get a hold of photos, name and address your friends sending money- DM me.
Maybe I can help. ( helped one person- the scammer was a guy from Canada and London, using a Russian girl’s name)
Another option: say that you are so excited to welcome her- and can you meet/chat with her on Skype?
Or on the phone?
If you discover that “ internet is slow”, she does not have money for computer” excuse- it is a definite scam

Sometimes, even travel agencies could be a part of scams for dating travel: some serious money- I am talking tens of thousands of dollars. Then they make some excuse why “Olga” could not be there for “ meet and greet”
Your friend may have dementia setting in...
Or brain cancer.
One of distant relatives lost quite a bit of money to fake charities and such- which was extraordinary ( 50 y o computer science person) - the family insisted on checkups- brain cancer was the diagnosis

Last edited by Nik4me; 05-21-2019 at 09:33 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 PM

805 posts, read 220,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Sure, but why even waste your time when you could be engaging a real, actual woman? Bored?
Amusing and hopefully keeps her too busy to do it to someone who won't know it's a scam?

Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 PM

564 posts, read 152,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I have someone trying to scam me as I write this. I'm totally aware of how to spot these things. This "woman" writes all this flowery BS about building a future together without even meeting me. I mean, these people really go after desperate men, which I am not one. Its really funny when you call them out on it and they get all defensive. I told this one that no American woman writes crap like this, especially before meeting in person. I'm trying to figure out their angle if its not money. Its not like I'm giving out personal info.
It is money, honey...

Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 PM

8,507 posts, read 5,324,585 times
Just stay out of it, he will know sooner or later.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 PM

1,928 posts, read 944,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Amusing and hopefully keeps her too busy to do it to someone who won't know it's a scam?
Sure, if that makes you happy. *quietly and slowly backs away*

Old 05-22-2019, 01:57 AM

5,078 posts, read 2,461,261 times
Whether it is your friend, you, or us who is being scammed, inevitably it is obvious that a con man is at play, male or female.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:29 PM

1,893 posts, read 637,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Whether it is your friend, you, or us who is being scammed, inevitably it is obvious that a con man is at play, male or female.
Yes- there's been a lot posted here about trashy women who are scamming men, etc. and that's certainly happening, but as a female I've gotten FB friend requests from guys who have no other friends and just put up a profile. I checked 2 of them on Google Images and found that both were genuine military; one picture was from an article in the Toronto Globe and Mail and the other guy was the subject of on-line articles about how many fake profiles had been created for him, and he was happily married.

Anyone, male or female, can take an attractive woman's picture (with or without her consent) and use it to scam unsuspecting men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or