U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times

Advertisements

The creative spellings are brilliant marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:26 AM

792 posts, read 325,370 times
Is it worthwhile to tell?

Think about it.

It's not. He started a brewery ~5 years ago. It's successful. People love it. He did that spelling EVERYTHING WRONG the entire time. Maybe the kind of people who take risks and dive in and throw everything they've got into a brewery just before retirement are just a different kind of people from the ones who find spelling, punctuation, and grammar important to society. I tell businesses all the time, when their signage is wrong... but I'm nothing to them. They'll either do it or they won't; I'm not usually insistent. With friends, they're used to me correcting things or commenting... I'll even correct myself. "OMG - you HAVE to see this! Come quick! ... LY." They take less offense because it's not a judgement, just a flat correction. If you correcting things casually isn't already a known trait of yours, by him, then you can't start now.

There is one time though that I emailed an owner because I was sure the counter person was NOT going to tell her boss what I'd said... and she didn't. lol. The owner was annoyed as well and told me to mind my own business. I didn't. She and her husband opened a bakery just months before their retirement... everything they had was in it and their product is great. But then they started selling macarons but incessantly calling them macaroons... for sale online. Well, macarons and macaroons are two COMPLETELY different things. I explained that this wasn't an issue of me being a stickler on spelling but that people looking for macaroons online - finding macarons instead - aren't going to buy. She responded, after two days, that she KNEW that already (?? lol, okay) but she DID then change it immediately, across everything on their site, in the shop, and on all social media. They're doing very well. I'm glad for them. They're really nice people.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:44 AM

5,321 posts, read 5,266,988 times
No, or if it is that bothersome to you and you need to get it off your chest "I love the way you guys use alternative spelling, it's so creative".

Best of luck.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:20 AM

9,640 posts, read 4,900,051 times
While misspellings really bother me, I tend to overlook it when it comes to product names. I assume that it's intentional to have a "creative" spelling in order to make it more memorable.

I probably wouldn't say anything to him. If he's been in business for several years, I guarantee someone has mentioned it.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:32 AM

6,359 posts, read 2,285,056 times
I'd stay out of it. He's apparently successful and respected. He's doing fine.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 AM

6,886 posts, read 1,734,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I frequent a local brewery and the owner has become a personal friend of mine. I've known him fairly well for about two years. The guy is around 60 and just started this business several years ago - he couldn't have been younger than 55 or so when he started it. My family has connections and friendships with him going back to my dad and a couple of uncles. With all the family ties, he's like an extended uncle to me now.

The problem is that apparently neither him nor any of his staff can spell worth a damn. "Blackberry" became "BlackBerrie," and this was printed on a massive line of cans he had done for retail sale. There are misspellings on his public ads, on beer labels, etc. When you go in the taproom, probably a third of the beers on the chalk board he has are spelled incorrectly. It's a huge distraction.

The guy has massive talent as a brewer and has been discussed numerous times on beer fora and state Facebook beer groups as one of the best breweries in his state, but these spelling errors are making the place look like it's run by imbeciles. His beer board is spelled so incorrectly that people who aren't familiar with him or his brewing may not even know what some beers are/supposed to be.

How would you approach him on this?
Perhaps you should also contact the people Chick-fil-A and the cows they use in marketing. The cows are also horrible spellers.

In reality it sounds like marketing to me. It is just not possible that everyone working there cannot spell not their customers and all are oblivious to all of this.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 AM

6,606 posts, read 3,806,188 times
How about just worrying about your own grammar? "Neither him" should be "neither he".

Old 05-23-2019, 08:10 AM

5,347 posts, read 2,238,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I frequent a local brewery and the owner has become a personal friend of mine. I've known him fairly well for about two years. The guy is around 60 and just started this business several years ago - he couldn't have been younger than 55 or so when he started it. My family has connections and friendships with him going back to my dad and a couple of uncles. With all the family ties, he's like an extended uncle to me now.

The problem is that apparently neither him nor any of his staff can spell worth a damn. "Blackberry" became "BlackBerrie," and this was printed on a massive line of cans he had done for retail sale. There are misspellings on his public ads, on beer labels, etc. When you go in the taproom, probably a third of the beers on the chalk board he has are spelled incorrectly. It's a huge distraction.

The guy has massive talent as a brewer and has been discussed numerous times on beer fora and state Facebook beer groups as one of the best breweries in his state, but these spelling errors are making the place look like it's run by imbeciles. His beer board is spelled so incorrectly that people who aren't familiar with him or his brewing may not even know what some beers are/supposed to be.

How would you approach him on this?

You don't. It's not your place. The guy is obviously successful.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:40 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,666,184 times
He is selling beer not coaching for a spelling bee.
Enjoy the beer, his success and the relationship and mind our own spelling.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:11 AM

16,789 posts, read 14,438,341 times
Are you prepared to serve as his personal proofreader? Or are you only interested in pointing out his faults?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or