U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 PM

49 posts, read 7,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I did that a while back and fortunately the person was adult enough to forgive me and give me a second chance. So hopefully this person will be the same way.

So if they decided they didn't want to hang out with you they aren't an adult?
Lol!
Whatever makes you feel better about being dropped when you're dropped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 AM

158 posts, read 48,875 times
Well, I just popped the card in the mail. I went for cute and warm over groveling and self-flagellating.

However, this morning, I realized that I had missed another appointment last Friday ... and hadnít even noticed. (The person I stood up didnít email me.) This was just a Skype meeting for a language exchange and I donít know this woman that well (probably why she didnít bother emailing me), so Iím not feeling that anguished about it. But I did just send her an apology email and asked for a second chance.

Wow. I have been feeling quite distracted recently. I hope itís that and not some sudden cognitive decline.

Also, I need to develop better calendar habits. Iíll have to look into the suggestion I got upthread, but other suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:04 AM

3,763 posts, read 2,970,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Well, I just popped the card in the mail. I went for cute and warm over groveling and self-flagellating.

However, this morning, I realized that I had missed another appointment last Friday ... and hadn’t even noticed. (The person I stood up didn’t email me.) This was just a Skype meeting for a language exchange and I don’t know this woman that well (probably why she didn’t bother emailing me), so I’m not feeling that anguished about it. But I did just send her an apology email and asked for a second chance.

Wow. I have been feeling quite distracted recently. I hope it’s that and not some sudden cognitive decline.

Also, I need to develop better calendar habits. I’ll have to look into the suggestion I got upthread, but other suggestions are welcome.
Google Calendar is quite simple to use (I was wondering why you described it as "a pain") and will prevent these episodes as long as you check your calendar. If you have an Android, the calendar syncs between computer and phone. I didn't know there was a feature to have one's daily calendar emailed to oneself in the morning as mentioned upthread, but that might be something else to look into. I wouldn't worry about this being a cognitive decline. I can't imagine trying to keep my appointments in my head! There is no sense in doing this with the myriad technology out there.

I can't remember the last time I took an appointment card at the dentist, hair salon, etc. No need when I can simply enter the appointment in my phone and it goes to the cloud.

I also have access to my husband's Google Calendar as well as my parents', as well as one of my clients. It's very useful. (I only asked my parents for access because I used to get worried when I couldn't reach them at home or on cell. They are some of the busiest retirees I know!).

Old 05-24-2019, 03:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 648,447 times
I use my Google calendar all the time. It has replaced my paper calendar. If you have an Android phone, you can put a widget on the screen of your phone to show you the next 4 appointments on your calendar so you'll always have them on the screen and know what's coming up.

If you don't have an Android phone to use a widget, just print your Google calendar and hang it up somewhere that you'll see it every day so you can see what's coming up.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 PM

9,183 posts, read 9,159,768 times
Quote:
This just happened. I just got an email from a friend saying: ďWhat happened? I thought we were meeting for lunch?Ē And I did this:

Yes, this is a woman I really, really like, yet rarely see (mainly because she travels a lot). Weíve gotten together only twice in the last year or so. I was so happy when she reached out to me last week. And then, I forgot. I do use Google Calendar, but I find it a pain and generally only use it for appointments I think I may forget. Not for events in the near future Iím looking forward to.

I just sent a deeply apologetic, but hopefully not groveling email. And I canít find her number. Not much else to do I guess, except feel stupid ... and realize that at 55 I really need to start using the calendar all the time.
I'm just baffled by people who don't have telephone numbers for people they consider friends.

But, yes, there are more things you can do:

1. Look harder for her number.

2. When you connect with her, make a point of asking her for her number, especially if she has more than one.

3. Make it clear that your apology includes your taking her out to a lavish lunch, to make amends. And there's nothing wrong with groveling in this case.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM

2,863 posts, read 6,383,819 times
Quote:

However, this morning, I realized that I had missed another appointment last Friday ... and hadn’t even noticed. (The person I stood up didn’t email me.) This was just a Skype meeting for a language exchange and I don’t know this woman that well (probably why she didn’t bother emailing me), so I’m not feeling that anguished about it. But I did just send her an apology email and asked for a second chance.

Wow. I have been feeling quite distracted recently. I hope it’s that and not some sudden cognitive decline.

Also, I need to develop better calendar habits. I’ll have to look into the suggestion I got upthread, but other suggestions are welcome.
I am 57 and retired and I put all sorts of "appointments" in my calendar. We have Apple devices and I use an app called Pocket Informant that uses the native Apple calendar data but I like the interface better. My wife uses the regular Apple calendar. We also have it set up so I/we can put the appointment on our individual or family (joint) calendar depending on what it is.

Things I used it for:
-Pet vaccinations due
-Home filters due for changing
-Certifications/licenses/passports expiration dates
-Monthly tasks are set for the first of each month
-Premiere dates for my favorite TV shows
-Anything I need to remember to do. For example I needed to phone someone after the Memorial Day weekend so I put that on for Tuesday.

The critical things I set an alarm for, the others I don't.

My wife is awful about letting me know about social events she has committed US attending. I have finally gotten her trained to put everything on the calendar so I am aware of it.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 PM

10,994 posts, read 17,487,206 times
I use the iphone calendar for everything or I would miss a lot of appointments.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:36 AM

3,132 posts, read 1,637,921 times
I had 2 friends over for dinner the other night. I texted them in the afternoon to get input on the menu and both responded and I said “oK see you at 730.”

One got here a little early and we spent time chatting and didn’t realize that 730 came and went and it was now 750 and the other friend hadn’t arrived. At 8 pm I texted her and asked if she was OK. “Yeah, why?” “Um, because you said you were coming over and it’s 8:00.”

She had thought we were meeting 2 days later! Luckily she lives close by and came right over.

We had a good laugh about it.

As for your situation— the card was good. I would refrain from grand gestures — it would add more embarrassment for your friend and would smack of being more about you redeeming yourself than being about her anyway. People make mistakes. You issued a heartfelt apology. Move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or