Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Honesty is the best policy or shut up
lose lips sink ships. shut up, keep a friend. 25 49.02%
SPEAK up, wouldn't you want someone to save you from you!! 17 33.33%
other, always has to be an other. 9 17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Humor me and explain what MLM is in layman term?
My Little Monkey? More Laughing Moments?
Hard to give advice when the key concept is put into initials.
Very good! Gave me a chuckle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Maybe. I'm more of a live and let live type of gal. Who are you to tell Granny what she can and cannot wear?? If Granny is happy what's it to anyone else except maybe Mr. Granny Lol (yes I'm actually laughing).
Then why are you asking others if you should be a "negative Nelly" and try to talk your friend out of participating in the MLM program?

And why is one of the responses in your poll to "Speak Up! Wouldn't you want someone to save you from you?"?

Wouldn't that be flying in the face of your position above about Granny?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Then why are you asking others if you should be a "negative Nelly" and try to talk your friend out of participating in the MLM program?

And why is one of the responses in your poll to "Speak Up! Wouldn't you want someone to save you from you?"?

Wouldn't that be flying in the face of your position above about Granny?
Worrying about a friend's potential financial ruin and worrying about an internet stranger's use of "lol" on a forum are worlds apart.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Worrying about a friend's potential financial ruin and worrying about an internet stranger's use of "lol" on a forum are worlds apart.
Sad that that has to be explained.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Quote:
Sad that that has to be explained.
No, what's sad is that that wasn't the "grandma" comparison.

And we're not talking about anyone's financial ruin, "lol."

Care to try again?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:

Care to try again?
The friend is talking about quitting her job to join a MLM that no one will want to buy and will cost her money to be a part of. How isn't that financial ruin?

Old 06-13-2019, 11:51 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:

Care to try again?
actually we are, my girlfriend wants to quit her good paying job with benefits with Comcast to sell this full time.

Now I admit, I am really conservative, I like knowing where my paycheck is coming from every week, I know many young folk will gamble and a lot of folks say you have to go all in to get your dream.

But considering from what I've read (thanks again for all those who gave useful information) 98% of folks fail at these things.

yeah, that's my definition of financial ruin or at the very least a financial disaster.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:08 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
actually we are, my girlfriend wants to quit her good paying job with benefits with Comcast to sell this full time.

Now I admit, I am really conservative, I like knowing where my paycheck is coming from every week, I know many young folk will gamble and a lot of folks say you have to go all in to get your dream.

But considering from what I've read (thanks again for all those who gave useful information) 98% of folks fail at these things.

yeah, that's my definition of financial ruin or at the very least a financial disaster.
I’ve never run into this particular situation with friends. The similar thing I have run into was a friend who picked a very nasty man to marry. I didn’t realize how awful he was at the beginning, but I watched her cut out friend after friend who DID try to warn her. I kept my mouth shut and helped her pick up the pieces time after time.

And after he alienated practically all her friends he tried to kill her.

And I stood by her then, but when she said “Why didn’t anyone tell me?” I told her that she cut out all the people who did warn her, but that’s part of what an abuser does...and to not feel guilty about it.

When she said why didn’t YOU tell me? I told her someone had to be left to help when this blew up in her face.

After a few years in therapy, she got it... and a lot of her friends came back to her.

Your choice is to clam up, or maybe approach it this way. Tell her you are only going to tell her this just once, and never bring it up again.

Give her a list of links on how bad MLM marketing is. Don’t tell her she’ll fail at this because everyone pretty much does, tell her this is a very very difficult path to take. Try to spin your negativity at this venture in a positive way.

And for the love of Mike do not buy anything.... it will never end.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:12 AM

740 posts, read 455,774 times
Quote:
actually we are, my girlfriend wants to quit her well-paying job with benefits with Comcast to sell this full time.

Now I admit, I am really conservative, I like knowing where my paycheck is coming from every week, I know many young folks will gamble and a lot of folks say you have to go all in to get your dream.

Your friend should never quit her job until she becomes successful (which is slim at best). MLM is supposed to be a side gig, it's never meant to be a full-time job. Very few people ever become successful in MLM.

Even though I'm not anti-MLM, I do not believe most people have the sales skills and the marketing skills to be successful in MLM. This is coming from a guy who spent over a decade in sales and has been learning the ins and out of sales for over 10+ yrs. To be successful in sales, you must be able to sell to strangers day in and day out. Years after years. Not bug your friends and family to death.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:21 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

She would be very stupid to quit Comcast. My son works for them for a few years now. He's very happy there. Benefits are good. They may not rehire hernif this fails. Tell her that too

If I was your friend, I'd appreciate seeing what you had on this company. I also think you should be honest and say they don't sell anything you'd buy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships