U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Honesty is the best policy or shut up
lose lips sink ships. shut up, keep a friend. 17 51.52%
SPEAK up, wouldn't you want someone to save you from you!! 10 30.30%
other, always has to be an other. 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:12 PM

8,181 posts, read 11,900,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
actually we are, my girlfriend wants to quit her good paying job with benefits with Comcast to sell this full time.

Now I admit, I am really conservative, I like knowing where my paycheck is coming from every week, I know many young folk will gamble and a lot of folks say you have to go all in to get your dream.

But considering from what I've read (thanks again for all those who gave useful information) 98% of folks fail at these things.

yeah, that's my definition of financial ruin or at the very least a financial disaster.
Well then, with all due respect, if this is such a cut-and-dried situation in your mind where your friend will face financial ruin if you don't speak up, then what the hell is the purpose of this thread?

Why are you asking for other people to weigh in on the matter if you're so certain that there is only one correct course of action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,443 posts, read 3,628,914 times
I would be embarrassed to be in one of these so-called "businesses". Even more embarrassing is how some people think they are "business owners" because they do MLM.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:44 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,399,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well then, with all due respect, if this is such a cut-and-dried situation in your mind where your friend will face financial ruin if you don't speak up, then what the hell is the purpose of this thread?

Why are you asking for other people to weigh in on the matter if you're so certain that there is only one correct course of action?
because I value information. there is such a wide variety of people on the cd that I often hear opinions t hat I have not thought of. because I recognize that my way of thinking is NOT the only way of thinking.

I value information. I don't recall I ever said I was certain of any thing.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:47 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,399,615 times
Lol, someone message me to say what mlm is. My apologies,
It stands for multi level marketing. Many folks think its similar to a ponzi scheme.
Anyway it's a business model where yiu make money by recruiting folks under you

Old 06-18-2019, 06:24 AM

7,056 posts, read 1,773,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
It's an infection and my advice is take a step back and let it run it's course. In the meantime do whatever it takes to avoid talking about it with her. I'm in my early 40's and have seen different waves come and go in my age cohort... candles, supplements, jewelry, fitness, etc... I'm sure you've seen all of that too....
I would say it can be an addiction. Especially for those who go from one MLM to another and never realize how foolish they look when every few months or so they tell everyone they just found the next greatest MLM ever.

When I was 16 back in the 1980's I got into Amway. My mom actually had to sign me up because you technically had to be 18. I was naive and believed all the hype all I had to do is follow the steps and work hard and I would retire by 18. After a few months the reality set in and I stopped wasting my time with it. Sure one can make money off MLM's if they get in right at the beginning and leach off all the ones coming in later. But to me even that is very unethical because you are expected to be poster child for the MLM and get the newbies to believe they can do the same thing, which is virtually impossible. After my first experience I became very cynical about MLM's and never did another one.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,433,244 times
Quote:
First, thanks all for the advice on my other question about hosting a mlm party. This is more of a "what would you do" type of question. To recap, a very nice friend of mine has decided to do a MLM called "it works". My original question was about hosting a party, lol after replies I graciously said no but offered to take her brochure and pass it around.

Anyway, my next intention was to make a small purchase (~ 50 bucks) of something thereby supporting her.
so I posted a question on the health and fitness page about that. SMH, long story short. it's overpriced health stuff.

So I get to church on Sunday and it's dress down sunday, meaning you can come as you are. she's got a shirt on with a big "IT WORKS" emblazoned on it. I'm sure she wore it so she could launch into her routine when folks naturally ask "what works" She's whole hog in, lol as my Tennessee grandmother would say.

Here's my question:

I'm really ready to be "negative nelly" and tell her about her chances of becoming a millionaire doing this are slim to none. and to NOT quit her day job with comcast to focus on this thing ( she's considering it)

To answer the question I know is coming. Yes, I like this young lady. I would not say we are best of friends but we do hang out occasionally and we always have a good time.

lol, some one suggested I should keep my lips zipped.

I wasn't going to do it meanly, just kind of give her the websites and articles I found from suggestions here and other places.

It's a moneypit and I would hate for her to lose a good job and a lot of money.
The larger issue is that is it dangerous to market health products if you are not a dietician or in the medical/pharmacy field. What if someone she sold it to had a serious reaction?

My sister is a registered dietician in the state of NY. She would never endorse this stuff.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:17 PM

5,449 posts, read 2,289,752 times
Quote:
First, thanks all for the advice on my other question about hosting a mlm party. This is more of a "what would you do" type of question. To recap, a very nice friend of mine has decided to do a MLM called "it works". My original question was about hosting a party, lol after replies I graciously said no but offered to take her brochure and pass it around.

Anyway, my next intention was to make a small purchase (~ 50 bucks) of something thereby supporting her.
so I posted a question on the health and fitness page about that. SMH, long story short. it's overpriced health stuff.

So I get to church on Sunday and it's dress down sunday, meaning you can come as you are. she's got a shirt on with a big "IT WORKS" emblazoned on it. I'm sure she wore it so she could launch into her routine when folks naturally ask "what works" She's whole hog in, lol as my Tennessee grandmother would say.

Here's my question:

I'm really ready to be "negative nelly" and tell her about her chances of becoming a millionaire doing this are slim to none. and to NOT quit her day job with comcast to focus on this thing ( she's considering it)

To answer the question I know is coming. Yes, I like this young lady. I would not say we are best of friends but we do hang out occasionally and we always have a good time.

lol, some one suggested I should keep my lips zipped.

I wasn't going to do it meanly, just kind of give her the websites and articles I found from suggestions here and other places.

It's a moneypit and I would hate for her to lose a good job and a lot of money.

Your heart is in the right place, but you underestimate the amount of brainwashing MLMs perform on the credulous, a weird and toxic brew of team spirit and appeals to naked greed.

My wife's SIL has been peddling Arbonne for years. She's gotten a little more circumspect about it, but for a while she would buttonhole anyone she could to be in her pyramid scheme, including at our dinner parties. We literally had to stop inviting her for a while because she was harassing our other guests to sign up. I was going overseas on an intense business trip for two weeks once, and she practically begged me to buttonhole people in that country to be part of her network. As if I would be meeting with people I barely knew and whip out the Arbonne brochures. That's how disconnected she became from reality.

I don't know about you, but I personally don't think church is a place to promote one's business. Her sporting a big, garish t-shirt in a worship service should tell you how far her value system and sense of propriety has been skewed.

All this is to reinforce that nothing you say is going to convince her. If she approaches you to be part of this Ponzi scheme again, simply say "I'm just not interested." There are times when you can't save people from themselves, especially if she's not a family member or your very closest friend.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,473,586 times
Sometimes it’s useless to say anything. One of my closest life long friend has gone into one mlm after another for decades.

Each time I told her it was mlm and I wouldn’t buy anything.
Each time she said “this one is DIFFERENT”.
Each time it was the same.

She would buy a load of product that she couldn’t sell, couldn’t sign up anyone to be her downline, ended up with tons of product and tried to save face by saying how she gets it at wholesale and she loves using it herself. She has done this with makeup, pills, powders, shakes, vitamins, and household products.

This last one has gone the way of all before and she is drinking her special shakes instead of buying the groceries she can’t afford, still totally convinced that this was is different and oh so healthy. I have given up telling her anything anymore. They are led away and enticed by their own lust and greed. No common sense can change it.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:37 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,980,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would be embarrassed to be in one of these so-called "businesses". Even more embarrassing is how some people think they are "business owners" because they do MLM.
Agreed! If you're doing an MLM, it is NOT your business.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:12 PM

5,103 posts, read 2,743,062 times
Watch this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or