Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 10:35 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
VA benefits are not necessarily tied into combat. Has he been evaluated by the VA? That is the first step to potential additional benefits including caretaker.
The problem is that because of the long waiting lists, they are farming out vets who need nursing home care to other nursing homes that are privately run or county facilities. They are generally in poorer areas. It doesn't sound like he'll make 5 or 7 years. They might be better off looking for a facility themselves.

OP if he goes to the hospital for 3 days he'll be eligible for inpatient rehab. Request a veteran's home for the rehab. It might be a foot in the door for him staying long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 10:50 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The problem is that because of the long waiting lists, they are farming out vets who need nursing home care to other nursing homes that are privately run or county facilities. They are generally in poorer areas. It doesn't sound like he'll make 5 or 7 years. They might be better off looking for a facility themselves.

OP if he goes to the hospital for 3 days he'll be eligible for inpatient rehab. Request a veteran's home for the rehab. It might be a foot in the door for him staying long term.
You misunderstood my post. Unless he is evaluated in in the VA system he is an unknown to them. Yes, some veterans drag this out 30 years and more. It has nothing to do with soldier & sailor homes or similar facilities. There are funds available for those eligible for them. This can make the difference between facility and home health; also funds for caretakers may be available. There is no way to speculate by what has been posted here. OP may be able to guide her friend. Otherwise - veterans associations all over can direct her.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:03 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Back in 2014, New York City, Eric Garner was selling individual cigarettes on the street for a dollar a cigarette. A pack of cigarettes was going for $14 or more.

(Eric Garner was selling Newports...a cheaper brand.) Presumably, the more premium brands would go for higher.
What? I smoked Newports for 35 years. They were never any cheaper than the others.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:17 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Back in 2014, New York City, Eric Garner was selling individual cigarettes on the street for a dollar a cigarette. A pack of cigarettes was going for $14 or more.

(Eric Garner was selling Newports...a cheaper brand.) Presumably, the more premium brands would go for higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What? I smoked Newports for 35 years. They were never any cheaper than the others.
Yeah. Newports are the same price as Marlboros in my area. And always have been.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:30 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
No you shouldn't. Not because it's illegal, but because you're making it worse. Enabling the issue. Say nope sorry!
People who know I've got COPD (smoking for 50 years) ask me why I continue to smoke (just 10-12 a day using Indian tobacco) and I ask them: If you had AIDS, you'd still use condoms to protect yourself?

Once you get AIDS or COPD the damage is irreversible, all you may add is one or more years on this poor excuse for a planet.

My Aunt, when diagnosed with emphysema, quit smoking for a year, and yet, she continued to have the respiratory attacks. Frustrated, she started smoking again, and lived another 3 years.

I say provide him with the smokes! Otherwise, I might even consider this a case of Elderly Abuse.

Addictions are addictions are addictions! If you're on your high horse and are unable to quit one of your many addictions, how on earth, how on earth do you expect someone else to quit their addiction!!!

When I worked at a LTC/Rehab facility, the family of an emphysema patient, told me to make sure he has no access to cigarettes, and if you see him with one, to extinguish it. Sorry, family! That emphysema patient could sue the facility on the grounds it was a violation of his Patient Bill of Rights!

Last edited by tijlover; 09-24-2019 at 12:50 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 04:58 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
People who know I've got COPD (smoking for 50 years) ask me why I continue to smoke (just 10-12 a day using Indian tobacco) and I ask them: If you had AIDS, you'd still use condoms to protect yourself?

Once you get AIDS or COPD the damage is irreversible, all you may add is one or more years on this poor excuse for a planet.

My Aunt, when diagnosed with emphysema, quit smoking for a year, and yet, she continued to have the respiratory attacks. Frustrated, she started smoking again, and lived another 3 years.

I say provide him with the smokes! Otherwise, I might even consider this a case of Elderly Abuse.

Addictions are addictions are addictions! If you're on your high horse and are unable to quit one of your many addictions, how on earth, how on earth do you expect someone else to quit their addiction!!!

When I worked at a LTC/Rehab facility, the family of an emphysema patient, told me to make sure he has no access to cigarettes, and if you see him with one, to extinguish it. Sorry, family! That emphysema patient could sue the facility on the grounds it was a violation of his Patient Bill of Rights!
It depends. If he’s on oxygen which is highly flammable they certainly can restrict it. I’ve worked in nursing homes for 20 years though, the only cases I’ve seen where they prevented someone from smoking was where the family insisted.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:46 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Yeah. Newports are the same price as Marlboros in my area. And always have been.
Curious. Newports have always been cheaper in Texas. I'm shocked this thread hasn't turned into a "bash smokers mercilessly and make them the worst enemy in the universe" thread so far. I'm really surprised you can't mail tobacco. Thanks for the link, fellow poster. Like many others, I quit smoking years ago, but it's good to know for future reference.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
That doesn't sound right.
Just read that in 2018 it was anywhere from 10-14 bucks. And we love to vote in “sin” taxes that don’t effect us that do that sin.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:47 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

Yeah, I will. Must be a powerful addiction.

Just needed to vent. Thanks!
Very powerful. Vent away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It is a powerful addiction.

I quit several years ago now and I still wish I had one, several times a day.
I quit 16 years ago and still miss smoking. Especially on Sunday morning with a pot of coffee and the NY Times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, and yet I had several people ask me cheerily, "Don't you feel better now that you quit?"

I thought that was the most idiotic question. OF COURSE NOT. NICOTINE made me feel better. Now I don't have it, and I feel worse.

You get used to the new normal, though.
Hahaha! Yes, that is truth. Nicotine is a great drug.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It depends. If he’s on oxygen which is highly flammable they certainly can restrict it. I’ve worked in nursing homes for 20 years though, the only cases I’ve seen where they prevented someone from smoking was where the family insisted.
Family can insist all they want, but I've always respected and defended the Resident's Bill of Rights, even though I've seen nurses trample all over it, not realizing potential lawsuits against the facility. And, of course, if the patient takes his oxygen outside on the patio with him, it's a no-brainer he can't smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships