Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 07:20 AM

293 posts, read 190,738 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've had an ongoing issue about this and I need to put a stop to it. Basically, my issue is that I'll say something that can sound like I am trying to start an argument, and the person that I am talking to (boyfriend, friend, or family member) will try to change the subject or will basically put up 'verbal warning signs' to get me to stop talking before it's too late to turn around.

I'll then ignore these warnings and just keep talking until it turns into an argument. It's almost like I feel like, even if I am given a 'warning, stop talking or else there will be an argument' I feel as it is word vomit and I have to get it out and I can't keep it in.

This has gotten me in trouble before, and I want to stop. Any advice on how I can stop this/work on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Think before you speak.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:14 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
It all boils down to your overwhelming insecurity, which makes you needy. You have to have constant validation, or you begin to freak out. We've discussed this before in other threads.

It's hard to tell exactly what kind of solution to suggest without knowing specifically how these conversations go, but it reads as if you are feeling insecure and anxious that people aren't listening to you or don't want to discuss something, and you feel the need to shove in all the things you want to say?

You need therapy to overcome your emotional deficits. Why won't you go?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:01 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
Hi all,
I've had an ongoing issue about this and I need to put a stop to it. Basically, my issue is that I'll say something that can sound like I am trying to start an argument, and the person that I am talking to (boyfriend, friend, or family member) will try to change the subject or will basically put up 'verbal warning signs' to get me to stop talking before it's too late to turn around.

I'll then ignore these warnings and just keep talking until it turns into an argument. It's almost like I feel like, even if I am given a 'warning, stop talking or else there will be an argument' I feel as it is word vomit and I have to get it out and I can't keep it in.

This has gotten me in trouble before, and I want to stop. Any advice on how I can stop this/work on it?
I know someone similar. He had an opinion on everything, was a know it all and argumentative. No topic was too trivial for him to let alone. I would dread going to family events knowing he would be there and his argumentative nature was widely discussed behind his back. At parties people would walk away from him but it didn't seem to make a difference. It also interfered with his employment. I believe he was diagnosed with some form of ADHD and is now on medication.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:14 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I know someone similar. He had an opinion on everything, was a know it all and argumentative. No topic was too trivial for him to let alone. I would dread going to family events knowing he would be there and his argumentative nature was widely discussed behind his back. At parties people would walk away from him but it didn't seem to make a difference. It also interfered with his employment. I believe he was diagnosed with some form of ADHD and is now on medication.
That’s tough.

For one, the guy probably didn’t know he was doing it. Two, people are avoiding him and he probably doesn’t even know why.

I know people like that. You say the sky is red and they will tell you no it’s blue even though it’s red at the time.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:28 AM

171 posts, read 79,477 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Can you give more info, examples of how such talk looks like?

Old 09-26-2019, 06:49 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
You seem to be aware of the problem. What is preventing you from stopping the behavior?

Old 09-26-2019, 12:10 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Friend of mine does this, or rather used-to. My best friend, actually. It's just his nature. He was a jackass when younger, up into his 30s when he wised up. I will use no such pejorative toward OP, but that's the best descriptor for my buddy and his loud mouth.

Oh, the solution was simple: he was and is highly competent. When a little nervous he turns up the chatter. He and I discussed because my tendency is the opposite, I am a raging introvert left to my own devices, and highly competent as-well judged by what I do for a living and objective reviews from industry experts. SO: two smart guys, both a little frustrated at lack of advancement. Why?

Extroverts sometime view those who stop talking as idiots or incompetents. I find that amusing sometimes to hear, and look at them with contempt. But now, what do I do? I stop, think of a good question or comment that contributes to the flow of information, and politely interject it and defend it if-needed.

My buddy? He just says to himself, "stop now, let's listen to others." You, OP, are reading the emotional Tea Leaves right in those warning signs. Just say, internally, "stop now, let's see what transpires!" Maybe nothing, the other party is upset to the point of violence. Great: you've stopped it (maybe) and not made things worse.

When my buddy made things worse, others thought less of him. He was "that jackass," braying when he shouldn't have, and skipped over for promotions. It hit his pocketbook, hard. That's a helluva teacher. Wait, will happen to you, and maybe you'll wise up, eh? Pain is a primitive yet effective teacher.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:16 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Think before you speak.
LISTEN more carefully, THEN think, THEN speak.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:26 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Are you sure you need to stop talking?

Or is it possible that the real issue is your tone or vocabulary?

Or, if you're female, is it possible that you're just stuck with some people who feel that it's preferable that women be demure and never argue?

It's hard to know what to tell you, since you don't provide much information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships