Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 11:19 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times

Advertisements

I started thinking about former bullies in school. But then it got me wondering- what is the difference between someone who is bullying and somebody who is being "mean" or a jerk?

I remember people were definitely jerks to me from time to time. But I'm trying to decide if it was true bullying or just kids being rude.

Tell me your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 02:43 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,681 times
Intent.

Not everyone who is perceived to be mean is mean.

Not everyone who is mean is being mean out of malicious intent.

Those whose actions are targeted for the purpose of causing discomfort and/or physical or emotional pain are engaging in bullying or harassment.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:22 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Somebody who is mean will be mean to everyone they don't like in the same manner. You usually try to interact with them first. That is how you find out they are mean.

A bully will target an individual or a small group. The bully will ignore that you don't want to interact with them and will usually instigate the negative interaction.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:33 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Bullies get physical.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Bullies get physical.
Not necessarily. Are you familiar with online bullying?

This is how USLegal describes bullying:

Quote:
Bullying is generally defined as an intentional act that causes harm to others, and may involve verbal harassment, verbal or non-verbal threats, physical assault, stalking, or other methods of coercion such as manipulation, blackmail, or extortion. It is aggressive behavior that intends to hurt, threaten or frighten another person. An imbalance of power between the aggressor and the victim is often involved.
https://definitions.uslegal.com/b/bullying/

Old 10-01-2019, 10:14 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
A bully deliberately seeks out targets to terrorize and comes looking for them over and over to pick on them. A meanie doesn't seek out targets and more likely prefers to simply avoid or ignore people he doesn't like.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:40 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Well, some people exhibit bullying behaviors as a general rule. We had one poster on C-D post about being talked over and his comments dismissed in a meeting. That is a form of everyday bullying. And, IMO, bullying is usually mean.

So, I think I would characterize bullying as a form of mean behavior. Bullies are mean, usually. But I suppose being mean, as we usually think of meanness, does not necessarily include bullying. I can certainly imagine an insecure, powerless person being mean.

Bullies exert power over others buy exhibiting physical or social dominance.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:48 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A bully deliberately seeks out targets to terrorize and comes looking for them over and over to pick on them. A meanie doesn't seek out targets and more likely prefers to simply avoid or ignore people he doesn't like.
Some people define bullying as repeated actions, not just one, isolated incident. The best example is a child who is not invited to a birthday party, while their parent may say that their child was being bullied by the one act of not being invited, IMHO, it is not a pattern of behavior.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:52 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Some people define bullying as repeated actions, not just one, isolated incident. The best example is a child who is not invited to a birthday party, while their parent may say that their child was being bullied by the one act of not being invited, IMHO, it is not a pattern of behavior.
Yes, and not inviting someone to a party is not bullying.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes, and not inviting someone to a party is not bullying.
If it is a repeated and advertised act of exclusion, for example, it could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships