Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 09:28 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Because I don't bend right over and capitulate it means I'm not hearing what others are saying, or learning from it?

I don't agree with what's been posted because I haven't heard a refutation of what I've said. Most of it's been the same crap I hear in real life. Just because it's over the internet doesn't give it more merit.

It's just like people who say "You haven't seen/done enough yet". No, just because I don't agree doesn't mean I'm inexperienced or that I need to "learn more'. It means that two people have come to two different conclusions based on their own life experiences.
What it means, my young friend, is you've been around but you're still green. Because tattoos and scars are different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 03:52 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Jimmy, people who are angry at life need anger counselling. Get to know yourself better and then you will understand others better too.

As other have said, life reflects back at us what we need to learn to progress. It is like ALL the people we meet hold a mirror up to us so we can see ourselves in our true light and what we need to work (on ourselves) next.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:37 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Just remember, OP, if you are trying to teach someone something that, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down?"

Do you know what that means? It means you turn people off if you present your sour side to them. You can't accomplish your goal that way. Before you can instruct other people you need to make a credible bond with them. Then they'll listen to you. (And even then they may not choose to change.) But you stand a better chance of informing people if you don't hurt them in the process.

And a note - there's a reason those old sayings have survived. Just like you keep hearing the same thing over and over from people on the internet - the reason why is because there is truth in them.

Grandma went to the parade to see her grandson, Johnny, march with the band. Everyone was marching left, right, left except Johnny. He was marching right, left, right.

Grandma exclaimed, "Just look at that! Everyone's out of step except my Johnny!" Consider and grow wise.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:03 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Because I don't bend right over and capitulate it means I'm not hearing what others are saying, or learning from it?

I don't agree with what's been posted because I haven't heard a refutation of what I've said. Most of it's been the same crap I hear in real life. Just because it's over the internet doesn't give it more merit.

It's just like people who say "You haven't seen/done enough yet". No, just because I don't agree doesn't mean I'm inexperienced or that I need to "learn more'. It means that two people have come to two different conclusions based on their own life experiences.
So you hear the same things IRL and on the Internet and you refuse to believe that what's being said has any merit. Your mind is not just closed shut, it's been locked and the key has gone missing. Many people are telling you the same thing and yet they're all wrong and you're right.

I'm not sure why you're so angry and so defensive but I would urge you to get some counseling because neither will serve you well in life.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm combative...

There you go again, trying to start an argument...

Old 10-03-2019, 04:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Because they need to be taught a lesson, the lesson that their BS will not go unquestioned and I will not stand idly by and keep my mouth shut. I WILL put you in your place if you come at me with that BS.
Sorry. I should have asked why do you engage with people who consider you a liar?

When somebody thinks you are a liar, the content of the debate no longer matters. The original opinion no longer matters. Feelings matter. So are your feelings more important or is the other person's feelings more important?

The minute somebody thinks you are lying, they don't respect you. Why do you engage with people who don't respect you? They will not learn the lesson you intend to teach.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
I want to try and make people see things from the other point of view. I love playing devil's advocate and making people question what they believe, as well as myself.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:41 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
I want to try and make people see things from the other point of view. I love playing devil's advocate and making people question what they believe, as well as myself.
Looks to me that you're more intent on browbeating them into agreeing with you rather than having a dispassionate discussion.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:04 PM

17,732 posts, read 9,187,561 times
OP, you seem to have a poor disposition. When someone has earned that type of reputation, others are often unwilling (or at least hesitant) to engage them.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:24 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
I would make this known to other people to see if they are willing to be participants in your personal growth. They may not have the skill to help you challenge yourself or the inclination or the time.

BTW, seeing things from a different point of view takes skill. They can't just be forced to see another point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships