Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 02:21 PM

27 posts, read 40,653 times

Advertisements

https://www.aplaceformom.com/blog/20...ndparents-day/

Don't ask them if they knew the Wright Brothers and Henry Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 09:00 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
If I were those kids I would ask for stories about my Mother. What bad things did she do? ;-)

Old 10-09-2019, 07:54 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
If I were those kids I would ask for stories about my Mother. What bad things did she do? ;-)
Lol! My one grand daughter often comes to me with the intrigue of : hey mimi is it true that my dad did xyz when he was 7? Usually a laugh follows when I say...why yes he did! Then I add a bit of further truths involving it.

Her dad is my son. So some times I simply must give her a reminder that just cuz he did that antic doesn't make it a free for all for them . They can learn without doing.

I would find it extremely uncomfortable if 15 years went by and suddenly my grand kids started acting interested. They had 15 years prior to hone that skill. It's my place to show interest...and they are doing fine at being blasé to my interests.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:02 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I would find it extremely uncomfortable if 15 years went by and suddenly my grand kids started acting interested. They had 15 years prior to hone that skill.
Well, maybe, maybe not. As a grandparent, I have a strong yearning and unconditional love for all my grandchildren. The 3 adopted ones have special needs. The youngest had severe failure to thrive, but after a couple of years of therapy, all of a sudden he opened up and talked with me and wanted hugs. Pure joy.

In the OP's family, with one boy autistic, there might be a touch of that running through the family, maybe the grandma also has a natural inability to communicate as fully and openly as others do naturally. Just a thought.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:27 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Whenever I think I am going to have a problem speaking with someone I just think of the alphabet... start at A, think of something pleasant that starts with it and on and on. Works every time!

Old 10-12-2019, 09:36 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
^ Apples... We have had lots of conversations about apples... And pot! She just told me the funniest story about skipping school and smoking weed with friends and how they got hungry and baked a cake. My grandma came home and saw the cake and was apparently livid... Because my mom had served her friends an unfrosted cake.

Had some not so fun moments but all in all a good visit. I'm glad we are 3/4 done though.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
My grandkid is almost 15 and will soon be learning to drive. I wish she would ask me how I learned to drive and what it was like taking my test to get my drivers license; and what car I learned on and what was the first car I owned.

She could also ask me who were my best friends at her age and what kinds of things we did for fun.

She could ask me how I earned spending money, did I have a curfew, how did I stay in touch with my friends without cell phones.... and, as a young teen who has always had access to a computer she could ask me when I became familiar with technology and how it impacted my life.

I think she might be interested in learning how air travel has changed in my lifetime....from making reservations to going thru security. And I’d love to hear about how she feels about air travel and the places she would love to see.

There are so many conversations I’d love to have with my grandchild, but all she wants to do when she visits is bury herself in her iphone and chat with her friends. And her parents are ok with that.

So I commend you for thinking about how to build a bridge between your sons and their grandmother.
Than why don't you say something to the parents(one of them is your child).

It's a shame you even have to do this, but it sounds like you need to.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I am looking for some ideas of good, easy and pleasant conversation starters and ideas that my boys and I can use with my mom who is coming to visit this week. Although I talk to her on the phone once a week or every other week we only see her once a year. I feel like I will mostly be fine, but even I have been blindsided by uncomfortable topics or statements. My boys are simply inexperienced with having conversations with older people and I want to guide them and give them help and confidence. I was mostly the same at their ages and I don't recall anyone actually helping me. I did a quick internet search, but the recommendations were more personal than I want to get into.. my mom has always been a private person... so I'm starting to wonder if we should treat this as someone we aren't exactly intimately related to.. like meeting some friend of the family? What kind of questions could my boys (13 and 16) ask to have a nice time with my mom at dinner?
Kids are generally not expected to start conversations. Let them learn by themselves. Adults will say things like "What are you studying at school?" What you really need to teach them is to be patient with older people who say "My, how you've grown!" If you're lucky, you might get your sons interested in hearing your mother tell them stories from her childhood or yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships