Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times

Advertisements

I'd imagine there are people like this everywhere - the walking briskly, seeming busy, trying to portray being important type, who passes like the wind by you. I find them so irritating and phony. A lady of this nature in my office quit a long time ago and guess what... her position was never filled again and somehow the company manages to stay afloat!

What's your experience with these folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 AM

786 posts, read 1,175,593 times
Hey, I resemble that description! Even the part about passing wind when I walk by you!! Lucky for me, my admin watches out and closes my office door when I fall asleep snoring with my feet up on the desk.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,081 times
That's why I love not working in an office. My biggest obstacles are big buffy men who like to grunt and walk around looking at themselves in the mirrors and say things like "hey if I pass out, could you resisitate me?"

Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
Hey, I resemble that description! Even the part about passing wind when I walk by you!! Lucky for me, my admin watches out and closes my office door when I fall asleep snoring with my feet up on the desk.
So, you try to look indispensable, too? I mean, it's kinda needed these days, but some have always been this way.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,009,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
That's why I love not working in an office. My biggest obstacles are big buffy men who like to grunt and walk around looking at themselves in the mirrors and say things like "hey if I pass out, could you resisitate me?"
So what would be the answer to that question?? Hee Hee

Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Guess you meant resuscitate... Heck no, I'd hit them on the head with a pan and finish the unfinished business!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 AM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Absolutely they are a thriving species, and I am one! It is about looking busy, appearing professional, flying under the radar, and giving an appearance (whether or not it's grounded in reality doesn't matter) of brisk efficient productivity.

Also by projecting that "very busy" look, then other staff are less likely to stop you and either (a) ask you to do something (take on another project, as in do their work for them) or (b) chat, gossip, waste your time.

every office I've ever worked has eyes and ears everywhere and plenty of people who not only watch and see everything you are doing every minute, but willing to call and tell others what they saw you doing. The 5th day of my new job, i was helping a director load materials into their car for a conference, and within 10 minutes someone from another department called my supervisor and told her she saw me out in the parking lot instead of at my desk! I could not believe it!

Another job i had the supervisor herself would lurk in hallways, go into closed closets, and put her ear to the bathroom walls to hear what people were saying and doing. She then reprimanded people and disciplined them. Crappy place to work, i got out, but it does reinforce the message that "how it looks" is acted on, often more so than what kind of job a person is doing!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Guess you meant resuscitate... Heck no, I'd hit them on the head with a pan and finish the unfinished business!
LOL i thought he meant "if i dropped to the floor could you resist me?" ROFL

Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Just came back from a smoke break. Because recently our activities have been restrained to only one, pretty limited, area, it's impossible to avoid dear coworkers. I go outside for a BREAK, not to listen to loud shop talk! Oh, yeah, that's also one of those people you wonder how they don't choke while talking, since they never take a breath!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode? I think George (working for the Yankees) figured out that if he appeard overworked and stressed to everyone, they'd leave him alone and think he was doing a great job.

In the office, appearances and impressions are often more important than what you actually accomplish. I had a job where I worked my butt off, was very stressed, capable of doing a higher level of work, more educated than my boss, yet I was going nowhere in the position. (I eventually left) Now I have a job where I do one thing in a week and get praise and visibility all the way to the top, even though I'm not stressed at all. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships