U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,403,062 times
Personally I feel your son needs to cut the strings and grow up. He should be cheering you on and asking what he can do to make your move as comfortable as possible... tell him he isnt that old you cant kick the ever living crap out of him.. he needs to think about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,557,727 times
I'm here, but both of our sons and their families have moved. I wish they could be closer. Having said that, I am very happy for them. Their lives are better for not having stayed in this very rural area. We travel, telephone, email and manage to stay as 'close' as possible. You have an opportunity that you should take. If you are in good health and can do the job, go for it. You may regret it someday if you let this pass you by. Just sit down and have a parent/child talk. Mother/son talk. He'll understand in the long run. I wish you Good Luck.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 AM

28,227 posts, read 13,017,716 times
I'll just echo all the great advice given here. Don't let this opportunity pass you by-your son will come to accept your decision. Best of luck in your new journey!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 AM

65 posts, read 128,345 times
Thank you so much everyone!! I sincerely appreciate your thoughts on this. I am finding it very challenging trying to understand his behavior. However, I know there is no doubt in his mind that I love him and have always wanted the best for him and cheered him on even if I didn't agree with what he was doing. I expected the same but not having his approval is not going to stop me, I can't let that happen. I went back to school and worked so hard to land this job. I am getting older and this is it! My last chance! Again, you're all awesome, thank you.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,123,657 times
I hate to say anything negative about your son, but, since you mentioned it, yes, I do believe he is being selfish. It makes me think that your moving would be good for your son also. It will force him not to be too dependent on you, and at his age, he needs that. I'm sure, in time, he will be happy for you, and he will be fine once he becomes accustomed to the change. Congratulations on your job.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:12 AM
NCN

13,973 posts, read 11,389,253 times
He is just probably concerned about how to take care of you when you are older. You will probably stay young longer if you are happy and productive. Tell him you appreciate his concern for you, but you can take care of yourself and enjoy your new job.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:25 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,042,081 times
My family has ALWAYS lived in Massachusetts, Dad's side of the family is all over the U.S.
I as an adult raised my family in MA. Eventually I re-married but that meant a move to the mid-west, here I am with all my family is back east, except my son who moved to Colorado. He's got an awesome job. We both miss our family in a major way, but for whatever reasons that a person decides that a big move is neccesary, it's their life, and the decision needs to be made by that person alone. Son does not support you financially or any other way. You need to do what you feel is in your best interest. You've raised your family, you are now an individual adult person. I hope that your son will understand when ever you need to make a decision for "your life".
If you are a close family, be prepared for missing those back home, sometimes for me it's yeah I miss my family, other times it's I miss my family desperetly and I feel lost and alone. (dad always said I was the moodiest person he knows) . Our phone bill would be a killer if we didn't have an awesom long distance plan Hubby was very smart there. Holidays are more difficult for me. Mom or Dad's birthdays and my grandsons growing up and I'm not there. Weigh all options and decide what you feel you can live with and the importance levels of each.
I wish you the very best.

P.S. maybe son is fearful for you to be gone away or maybe he is worried about missing you and not sure how he will handle your absence. There might be an emotional reason behind his negative feeling and he does not know how to express that. Use lots of communication, ask direct questions that come to mind. If you decide to move you would not want to move with ill feelings left behind on your family's shoulders or within yourself to gnaw at you from time to time.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,458,891 times
As a son, can say that, at least for me, in regards to our parents (when comparing the ones you see in your mind's memory of being energetic) grow older, that there is this at times this "idealized vision", based on memories, based on what 'home' was, what it was, how would be great to go back 'there' again. You grow up from a child, around nurturing parents, they care, protect, and provide. Before you blink a few times, you all of a sudden are an adult... but only in age, cause yet in the heart, you long [to an extent] for the way 'things' were, having your pop, the strong warrior, do this, your mom, the awesome woman, do that.

dlfargher - you are, I would imagine, a security blanket; which we all need, to various extents, but with maturity and wisdom and knowledge, we [for the most part] realize that to grow, to truly become adults ourselves, that we must go our own paths, and while keeping close, as much as possible, and while showing support and love to each other, parent and child can live in distant locales. There have been already many very good posts here, much great advice - so will just chime in as another voice saying agreement that your son is being selfish, but, he needs to be strong, realize that his mother is seeking her own path, not to cause pain for him, but one that she deserves, and he would be hurting her, by not allowing you to pursue this position.

Good luck, and keep the faith in what you must do.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 PM

4,189 posts, read 2,184,040 times
I am very protective of my mother and would feel sad if she left BUT I would support her and encourage her to do what is best for her. I applaud you for doing that. Some people have kids and forget to take care of themselves and end up living solely for the kids while at the same time neglecting their personal wants, needs and desires. Which is understandable when kids are young. But you raised him and I am sure did an excellent job. So go ahead with the move- he will adjust in time.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:11 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,320,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfargher View Post
Hello Wise Ones,
How have I missed April's biggest joke?! Should've been posted on April Fool's!

Disclaimer: I meant just the salutation, not your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships