Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 01:37 PM

410 posts, read 343,453 times

Advertisements

I live in a condo that is located in a former office building in a mid-size city. Some of the neighbors have smelled a strong odor of burning plastic/ammonia coming from one of the units. We are wondering about the possibility of meth being produced in that unit. Here are the steps we have taken so far:

1) We reached out to the president of the home owner's association who informed us that this was a police matter and not the responsibility of the association.

2) We have filed a written crime stoppers reports with the local PD and also left a voice mail message with crime stoppers.

3) The unit in question is currently leased. We have sent an email to the owner of the unit.

What else can or should we do?

Thanks in advance,

JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 02:31 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Move.

If you don't, you'll know for sure it's a meth lab when there's an explosion and fire in the building in the middle of the night. Happened twice in the space of a few months in the Bay Area town I used to live in. People were put out of their homes and it was months before they could reclaim their belongings.

Funny thing, nobody ever stated the cause of the explosions/fires, even though it was obvious. Somebody didn't want it known there were meth labs in Our Fair City.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:59 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Just some ideas...I'm not familiar with condos.

Do you own or rent your unit? If you rent, give notice and leave. Make sure to tell the management company your reasons.

If you own, it might help if you get together with other neighbors and approach the management company as a group. Read your association bylaws. There may be a way to require the management company to address a problem if approached by a percentage of owners. Are there periodic safety inspections required for all units? Demand that they take place. That might force the lab to move elsewhere. Find out who owns that unit and make sure the police/drug enforcement has that info.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:02 PM

663 posts, read 433,666 times
Instead of crime stoppers, call your local police directly when you smell the odor. That will allow them to have the opportunity to come when the smell is strong and access the situation. There should be a non-emergency number to call.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:37 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Are you not familiar with "911".

Old 05-08-2021, 06:36 PM

410 posts, read 343,453 times
I own my unit outright and live here only part time as I work in another state. I have thought of selling but I would prefer to keep the unit. 911 wasn’t called because the meth cookers have been gone for a few days.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
what about DEA?
There is a book called Frozen Addicts based on real events,someone was cooking lab drug at home which wiped out the brain cells of a person which is responsible for producing dopamaine ,hence frozen addicts.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:24 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Are you not familiar with "911".
911 is for emergencies. If this is something that has been going on for a while, it's not an emergency.

OP, the next time there's evidence of possible meth cooking, call the non-emergency number for your local PD.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
I live in a condo that is located in a former office building in a mid-size city. Some of the neighbors have smelled a strong odor of burning plastic/ammonia coming from one of the units. We are wondering about the possibility of meth being produced in that unit. Here are the steps we have taken so far:

1) We reached out to the president of the home owner's association who informed us that this was a police matter and not the responsibility of the association.

2) We have filed a written crime stoppers reports with the local PD and also left a voice mail message with crime stoppers.

3) The unit in question is currently leased. We have sent an email to the owner of the unit.

Thanks in advance,

JJ
Have you considered the possibility that rather than meth being produced, it may be that meth is being purchased from somebody else and then smoked by the tenant in that unit? It's a terrible smell when it's burning.

Have you or any of the other residents noticed an increase in the comings and goings of visitors at all hours to that unit? If that is happening it may be advisable for all other residents to put their heads together and start documenting everything they see, hear, smell to present a case to back up their suspicions to give to police.

I wonder if the president of the home owner's association would still say it's not the responsibility of the association if somebody anonymously left a message that news about the association refusing to address the possible meth lab is going to be announced to the local media if it doesn't get investigated. I think at the very least the president should be filing a complaint with the police on behalf of all the other residents.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:56 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
The DEA would be my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships