Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 10:19 AM

6,873 posts, read 11,192,725 times

Advertisements

So excited actually!

Our son is in his first real serious relationship and he called me last night and his girlfriend's parents invited us to their home to meet them and then we get to meet our son's girlfriend at the same time.

He has been seeing her since NYE 2021 and he met her through friends that night.

He is shy, just kind of like his dad (my husband) and a good young man. He is 32, she is 29. No drama that I know of. He has a 2 year college degree; she has a 4 year degree.

My son works with me so he has told me recently of the relationship.

I would like to take a small token but do not want to be over the top or come off in the wrong way.
My son said not to worry about doing anything but I'm not sure.

Both families have 2 children (son and daughter each). My son thinks we will get along fine. He said they are nice people.

Thoughts about bringing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 11:48 AM

26,684 posts, read 41,565,182 times
Why not a cake and/or flowers? If you can find either at a grocery store today, either would be a reasonable and low key gift for a first time meet.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:49 AM

29,651 posts, read 34,150,999 times
A plant is usually a good choice.

Old 05-08-2022, 07:57 PM

6,873 posts, read 11,192,725 times
Smile Thanks Everyone!

We went around, looked for a plant but because of Mother's Day, so much sold out.

Ended up buying a pretty candle at a Hallmark store.

Result: Very nice evening; seemed to go well. Our son seems happy also so all is good!

Old 05-08-2022, 08:44 PM

6,787 posts, read 11,429,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Why not a cake and/or flowers? If you can find either at a grocery store today, either would be a reasonable and low key gift for a first time meet.
I for one do not like it when people bring unexpected food to a meal at my house. It may not go with what I’ve planned, or it may duplicate my efforts. One time we had a reception at our house after a funeral. About 45 people. I had carefully planned everything so no eating utensils were required - sandwiches, cheese cubes, cookies. Of course someone brought a cake. Had to go scramble for forks.

Now, if someone calls a couple days ahead of time and says “what can I bring?” that’s entirely different.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:13 PM

6,726 posts, read 4,710,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A plant is usually a good choice.
I, for one, do not want anyone bringing me a plant. Not everyone wants to be bothered with taking care of a plant.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:26 PM

6,787 posts, read 11,429,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I, for one, do not want anyone bringing me a plant. Not everyone wants to be bothered with taking care of a plant.
True…but you can just kill it off by not watering it. Or take it to a local nursing home or hospital the next day.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:20 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,580,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We went around, looked for a plant but because of Mother's Day, so much sold out.

Result: Very nice evening; seemed to go well. Our son seems happy also so all is good!
So nice to read a happy post! Wishing the best for this couple!

Old 05-09-2022, 07:54 AM

19,542 posts, read 9,073,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So nice to read a happy post! Wishing the best for this couple!
Second that. (I also like the idea of flowers, btw.)

Old 05-10-2022, 02:53 AM

23,814 posts, read 33,304,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

Glad it went well. I've yet to meet my son's GF of 10 months. Normally I meet them by 5 or 6 months but then the relationship doesn't work out. I didn't want to jinx this one, he plans to marry her. She's early 30's, he's mid 30's, it's time he gets to find "the one." He's been hoping to settle down to have kids years ago. He's a good guy, has been very responsible in his relationships. He deserves someone special.

Hopefully your son's works out well too. Dating these days is a different ballgame then when we were younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships