U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,258,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
okay... I really typically wouldn't post to a suject like this because I truly believe I shouldn't judge others... however... just today I received an email that kind of upset me and I think about this all the time....

I am currently a stay at home mom while most of my very close friends work. I must add, they work by choice because they are fortunate to be in families that both they and their husband's have great jobs. Their choice is their choice and I completely respect that. There was a time that I thought I would never give my career up!
In any case, in addition to being very busy working parents, their children are also very busy! by choice of course, of the parents.
Their kids are in EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING... there isn't an evening that something isn't going on.
I believe if they had free time, they truly wouldn't know what to do with it at all.
The email basically stated that "She" is so sorry that she hasn't called,busy with work,busy with the kids,can't sleep because they are so busy,etc....
and kind of implied that they wished that they had "my life", in other words, not so busy I assume.
Sometimes I just get bothered by the fact that I do believe that even my closest friends think that being a stay at home parent is the easiest job in the world and it upsets me that they can't see that their lives are so busy because they created it. The kids didn't ask to be a part of soccer,dance,girl scouts,cub scouts,t-ball,etc...
Now, I believe that kids need to be active and my children are involved in what we feel is necessary at their age,but if I was working outside the home, their activities would be limited.
Just don't like to hear the complaints and try to be a good friend and just listen and empathize.
yeah a lot of people do not know the meaning of walking in someone else's shoes.. Forgive them as they know not what they are saying or thinking.. It all goes back to the fact that each person (as individuals) feel what they do is more demanding then the other joe's responsibilities.. this has been like this since the start of time.. What I do is more demanding then what you do.. I am sure that at one time you have said .. oh what he does is not really that hard.. and you know it may be true.. but you gotta walk a mile in their shoes to really find out..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,688,108 times
I have to say that I really love my life long friends that I can forgive or over look things they do . Almost always they later come back and apoligise. But I am not perfect either.That what mkes life long friends to me and it happens very seldom comapred to the really good things they do.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:40 PM

36,952 posts, read 45,395,424 times
This is a power trip, a way of Mike's saying "you are less important than me". You were right to drop him.
I have a girlfriend, who would do anything for me. She will go out of her way do do things for me, like feed the cat and water my plants when I'm on vacation, etc., but despite knowing this, she still drives me crazy in so many ways, I feel guilty about staying her friend.
She is incapable of having an independent thought...she'll ask her husband what she wants to drink.
She asks a question, and then interrupts me when I'm answering it.
She is rude to servers in restaurants...I've never been to a restaurant with her when something wasn't wrong.
She doesn't like most foods..has the pallet of a four year old.
When invited to my house for dinner, she wants to know what I'm serving so she can see if she is going to like it or not...Now, when I invite her I tell her I haven't decided on the menu yet.
Aaargh.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:52 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,046,651 times
People that use the word "like" several times in a sentence or they say "ya know" repeatedly.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:52 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,593,274 times
Oh, here's another one: The Pious Conversation Killer.

You know the type. You're kicking back, having a good time with friends, and you're cracking jokes. No ethnic jokes, nothing R-rated, nothing terribly seamy, but probably not terribly appropriate if children were in the room.

So the Sunday school teacher chimes in and says, "Well, I don't think that's very funny at all."

Old 06-04-2008, 02:56 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,272,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, here's another one: The Pious Conversation Killer.

You know the type. You're kicking back, having a good time with friends, and you're cracking jokes. No ethnic jokes, nothing R-rated, nothing terribly seamy, but probably not terribly appropriate if children were in the room.

So the Sunday school teacher chimes in and says, "Well, I don't think that's very funny at all."
OMG!!!!!!!!!! This would be my MIL. We were watching MP and the Holy Grail the other day and my DH and I were recalling when we had watched it with my in-laws. My MIL kept saying, "I don't see what's so funny about a man getting his arms and legs cut off. I don't see what's so funny about objectifying women." And blah blah.

She means well but she's a buzzkill.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,593,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!! This would be my MIL. We were watching MP and the Holy Grail the other day and my DH and I were recalling when we had watched it with my in-laws. My MIL kept saying, "I don't see what's so funny about a man getting his arms and legs cut off. I don't see what's so funny about objectifying women." And blah blah.

She means well but she's a buzzkill.
Yeah, militant feminists are the worst. It reminds me of a cartoon I saw in the New Yorker years ago. This woman is standing in what is labeled The Feminist Book Store. The clerk just looks at her and says, "I'm sorry. We don't have a humor section here."

Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,298,849 times
The application of this new, cryptic abbreviation language gets to me sometimes. Its not like you're having to write "laughing out loud" on the chalkboard 100 times... Sometimes I have to stop and ask a younger co-worker: "Hey, does anyone know what DNLTPA, LOL!! means?"

Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,272,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The application of this new, cryptic abbreviation language gets to me sometimes. Its not like you're having to write "laughing out loud" on the chalkboard 100 times... Sometimes I have to stop and ask a younger co-worker: "Hey, does anyone know what DNLTPA, LOL!! means?"
OMG, srzly? OK, gr8, I won't do that NEmore.

TTYL!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,298,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
OMG, srzly? OK, gr8, I won't do that NEmore.

TTYL!
Hey!! Does anyone know what "TTYL!" means??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or