U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,391,249 times

Advertisements

I found some High School sweet hearts I had not seen in many years and was invited over for dinner one night. When we knew each other in High School Ernie played guitar, was always laughing and although kind of shy an all around likable guy. Melinda was someone no one looked at, heavy, tall and quiet.

I show up and was greeted by Ernie in the front yard, Melinda smiling, walked out and gave me a hug then stood back and took in the surprised look on my face. She was a knock out, her flaming red hair had darkened a bit, lost all the weight and had a striking figure.

Inside the house after introducing their two children to me Ernie takes me in to see his lighter collection, I begin to wish I never came, at the table in the kitchen Melinda does all the talking and tells me in front of Ernie about all their problems and was bragging about a fling she had with some guy I didn't know and Ernie never says a word. Melinda then tells me about her job in a nudist camp as a receptionist and I start looking for the door.

Melinda's father owns an oil and gas company that Ernie works for and he apparently does what ever hes told and travels to where ever they need him.

I never felt so bad for anyone in my life, what a lapdog!, boring nerd that got a hobby when his wife started cheating on him.

Sometimes its scary bumping into old friends. I'm so glad I never stayed in a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:26 AM
sun

683 posts, read 1,933,384 times
You may be right but there might be a lot more to the "worthiness" of their relationship than is realized by the brief description.
While Melinda's described as sort of a kooky extrovert, the fact that she's so open in front of Ernie is a testament to the honest and open nature of their relationship, which after all is an important part of any lasting relationship. Lots of partners have cheated and will never reveal or speak of it. I'm not so sure that she was trying to be hurtful to her husband as much as she was stimulated by your presence, and just couldn't contain herself.
Ernie sounds like a dedicated father and no doubt he loves his wife very much. She may be a bit kooky, but since she's such a knockout, he's forgiven her and gets to keep her despite his nerdiness.
Every person has an intrinsic value in this world, whether it's to their immediate family, friends, significant others or God. There's a certain amount of love and respect that especially married people have for each other that mere oral words describing past history, or even infidelity does not interfere with. What may seem to you like a sign of disrespect toward Ernie [such as Melinda's conversation], may actually be accepted by Ernie as an indication of him being victorious as a husband, in his marriage and in his life. She could have left him forever but she didn't. She cheated on him but she loves him more. His love won in the end. And as shy and overweight as Melinda was in her younger years, her current looks and extroverted personality goes to show that there indeed may be natural social forces in this world that act in harmony to create a balance.
How else can it be explained away that a nerdy musician can marry the knockout of his dreams, and his shy and overweight high school sweetheart can become the "not so shy anymore" redheaded knockout receptionship of a nudist colony? He must be some musician!
It seems like they really have a successful loving relationship that's lasted for years so far. Their adversities have probably drawn them much closer together, and the value of their relationship is really priceless to each other. Maybe it's a small town, but is it really any different in any city? Of course not! There's was a match made in heaven, and they don't care what anyone else thinks because they're very real people.
Life happens.
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by sun; 07-01-2008 at 02:58 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 AM

2,178 posts, read 7,783,307 times
Small town, big town, don't make no difference. Might just have took longer to bump into them in a big town. If at all.
Maybe they are looking for a threesome partner. Especially Melinda.
Beware.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,391,249 times
Maybe its just me, I had memories of how they were and how they looked and acted in the past so I guess I had certain expectations.

Thanks for shedding new light. Hope your right sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships