U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-21-2008, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 77,111,830 times
Reputation: 22814

Advertisements

Quote:
  • You don't blab important and private information to them, thus putting yourself at risk
  • There will be no hard feelings when you two get into the inevitable argument
  • Your privacy will remain yours
These 3 apply very well to coworkers, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Wu Dang Mountain
12,941 posts, read 18,850,303 times
Reputation: 8655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The sociopaths I am referring to are the ones who don't know who their neighbors are, don't want to know who their neighbors are, and would probably step over the neighbor's dead body on the way to the mailbox.
That's one of the basic formulas of great stand-up comedy. ya know -

Normal thing + Normal thing + Outrageous thing = laughs.

I'm laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Wu Dang Mountain
12,941 posts, read 18,850,303 times
Reputation: 8655
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
These 3 apply very well to coworkers, too.
Yep - in fact, to quite a number of situations...

...for us sociopaths, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM
 
8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times
Reputation: 6197
Side note..I think its funny that people are so self involved they dont really know it only takes a second to know who your neighbor is anyway. You dont need to talk to them.
And I also think its funny that someone stated that they wouldnt bother to call the cops for thier neighbor they didnt know.

You see...this is why I dont talk to people like that. I have a word for that type but it would be against terms of service to use it.


You dont have to know people to help them. You only have to know people to use them.
Not my style. But a neighbor being used, its a group style here.
Along with the personal attacks for those who are less than social.
And it is part of that type of personallity. I dont get along with people that act like that.
I think its offensive and crude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2008, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, TN
8,000 posts, read 16,804,910 times
Reputation: 12316
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think its offensive and crude.

This thread is hilarious!! btw, didn't you say on another thread that having kids ruins your looks? Some might find that offensive and crude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 AM
 
8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times
Reputation: 6197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
This thread is hilarious!! btw, didn't you say on another thread that having kids ruins your looks? Some might find that offensive and crude!
Yeh I did..And it does. I didnt design the human body. So I cant fix it or apologize for it.
Every single mom I know or have spoken with complains about it.
You body expanding to contain another human is going screw something up.
Its a fact. Not a opinion or choice of action. Unlike they posts of rude others above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2008, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 77,111,830 times
Reputation: 22814
a lil' story for the social butterflies:

First of all, I come from a very social culture, sometimes more social than I personally need. I became asocial here because it's just a necessity for survival provided you don't wanna be committed to an institution (other than marriage…).

So, my old social self made the following attempt at neighborly relations. While our houses hadn't even broken ground, I happened to meet a future neighbor. We really hit it off and spent a couple of hours talking about the various frustrating issues we shared. She's also a single woman and I thought "hey, wonderful, a new friend in the neighborhood." We parted without exchanging phone numbers, though.

Because I decided to change my lot, my house took longer to build and we didn't move in at the same time. When I did, I looked her up on the assessor's site and tried to see her a few times. Since she never was home, eventually I left her a note reminding her of who I was and what my address and phone number are. She lives not more than 200 feet away from me. Did I ever hear from her? NO. It's like a wonderful first date not followed by a second one making you wonder why... I understand some people have enough friends and family in their lives and don't need more, but she didn't really sound like one of them. And even if this is the case, we live right next door to each other for cryin' out loud... I didn't try anymore because who knows... I may be considered a stalker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, TN
8,000 posts, read 16,804,910 times
Reputation: 12316
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Yeh I did..And it does. I didnt design the human body. So I cant fix it or apologize for it.
Every single mom I know or have spoken with complains about it.
You body expanding to contain another human is going screw something up.
Its a fact. Not a opinion or choice of action. Unlike they posts of rude others above.
Actually no it doesn't and no, it is not a fact either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, TN
8,000 posts, read 16,804,910 times
Reputation: 12316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
We really hit it off and spent a couple of hours talking about the various frustrating issues we shared. She's also a single woman and I thought "hey, wonderful, a new friend in the neighborhood."


who knows... I may be considered a stalker...
maybe she thought you were hitting on her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,707 posts, read 4,651,278 times
Reputation: 2168
I made the mistake of making my neighbors my friends. They were always coming over, always in my business, always telling me their business.. No thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top