Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Exactly.
Although often if I'm having a bad day and perhaps not smiling or as congenial as usual, usually someone passes a bit of their good will on to me and makes my day.

When people discuss this kind of thing, how others appear to be, I always remember a particular incident I had at work years ago. I wandered down the stairs past a friend working at the reception desk completely caught up in something I was thinking about. I was having a good day but I must have been thinking really hard because she said to me, "Ooh! Someone's not happy." I was so suprised because nothing could have been further from the truth. So I smiled and said I was fine, but it taught me a very valuable lesson. How you appear to be to others may not be how you actually are. So I make a point of being approachable and happy when I'm out amongst people as often as I can and funnily enough people seem pretty cheery to me most of the time now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
Most of my friends are telling me that they have noticed a huge change in the social climate in America during the last 5 years. Maybe it is linked to the post 9-11 mentality or the waves and waves of immigrants who are coming into our neighborhoods. Or maybe the effect of technology and computers.

I see less socializing on the job, less communication with the neighbors, less chatting in the grocery line, more glum looks at the post office, and silence at the hairdresser. It seems like people have lost their gift of gab and the ability to enjoy the company of stranger or coworkers. Things are more all business today.

Some people like to claim they are to busy, but I do not think this is it, instead I think it is a form of fear and a major change in our social culture in America. Anyone else agree?
I've noticed this as well.
It doesn't help any though living where I do where people are like that anyway.
But I'm sure if I was able to travel more I'd still find people that are still the way they used to be.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
mean streets do no breed friendly warm open people.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Exactly!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I first noticed this when I was a kid. My dad's girlfriend (parents had divorced) had a restaurant and at which - durring the Holidays - we'd serve the less fortunate free meals. A little girl commented that I must have grown up in a white neighborhood. When I asked her why she would think that, she responded; "Black people don't smile". I had her help me serve the other people and afterward had a long talk with the now smiling seven or eight year old. Finally we came to the conclusion that "hopeless" people don't smile. I never saw her again but wondered if she ever learned to smile more often.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
"Black people don't smile". I had her help me serve the other people and afterward had a long talk with the now smiling seven or eight year old. Finally we came to the conclusion that "hopeless" people don't smile.
That's right because everytime I see a black person they always seem to be cackling and not being able to Stop laughing!

Old 10-26-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
Most of my friends are telling me that they have noticed a huge change in the social climate in America during the last 5 years. Maybe it is linked to the post 9-11 mentality or the waves and waves of immigrants who are coming into our neighborhoods.

I see less socializing on the job, less communication with the neighbors, less chatting in the grocery line, more glum looks at the post office, and silence at the hairdresser. It seems like people have lost their gift of gab and the ability to enjoy the company of stranger or coworkers. Things are more all business today.

Some people like to claim they are to busy, but I do not think this is it, instead I think it is a form of fear and a major change in our social culture in America. Anyone else agree?
Oh but I've been told I'm just 'negative'...bull! You are correct in your observations! It's all around.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:39 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,682 times
Tall Model. YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

I think we need to try some foreign travel. Mexicans, for example, are very socially centered, so are lots of third world countries who have less somehow have more in the ways of people skills.

Mother Theresa (the late,sorry) couldn't have said it better: "America has to be the most self-centerd nation out there in existence"

I feel your pain. I hate it too. The last time I heard a big hello from someone, it was said into the receiving end of a cell phone. I could come up with a good joke about that maybe?

Old 10-26-2008, 04:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
yes indeed good post. the disconnect factor is huge. lots of folks inside 9 inch plexiglas bubbles.
warm engaging friendly supportive but utterly not there. got to look close to see the bubble.
how did we get here.
lots of pain
and the all consuming bottom line.
i could die tomarrow, it would hardly be noticed by most.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:00 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,682 times
Oh you're from So-Cal, Huckleberry-wow Now THAT'S a friendly bunch of people! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships