U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,539,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Is this about the 'Would you Cheat?' thread??? If so.... it's time to move on.

If not, then I find people who are 'holier than thou' to be very annoying. Whether they are those being overly pious, or those claiming to know all about everyone else without actually ever having met them!
Wow this is soooooo close to my description, naw! couldn't be....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:33 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,368,715 times
I think that if someone is asked about where they stand on an issue that they have every right to give their honest opinion on it, whether it be right or wrong, we are all entitled to an opinion.

However, I think that the people who are out there and in your face about how much better than everyone they are can be utterly disgusting. I can't stand people saying that their methods are the only correct methods or that they know everything and there is no possible way that you could be correct on this. Granted if they have a PhD on the subject than that is okay, but seriously, must we smash things into people's faces all the time?!

Wow, thanks cpg! I feel much better now!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:44 AM

12,941 posts, read 19,270,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Such as people who are always the first to rush to disapprove of others or prattle on and on about the stuff they'd never do?
What do I think of it? Not crazy about it...

Quote:
Just curious. Is it honest? Or just a bunch of self-serving baloney?
There might be a saint here or there, but for the most part it's the Puritan Devil popping up that's doing the damage. See, many people are strongly attached to their roots, and some of the strongest attachments are those of people whose ancestors were Crusaders, Inquisition workers and Watchtower publishers.

Gimme' that ol' time religion - it's good enough for me.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,547,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
What do I think of it? Not crazy about it...

There might be a saint here or there, but for the most part it's the Puritan Devil popping up that's doing the damage. See, many people are strongly attached to their roots, and some of the strongest attachments are those of people whose ancestors were Crusaders, Inquisition workers and Watchtower publishers.

Gimme' that ol' time religion - it's good enough for me.
You know, that reminds me of something that happened at my church about ten years ago. This guy disappeared for a while. As it turns out he was an alcoholic who had had several affairs during the course of his disease.

He comes back and starts volunteering all this information in a class. We're all sitting there thinking, "Well, Lou, anybody can go down the right path, and we don't need to hear about this. Glad you've really turned things around."

However, he wasn't content with that. Now, with his newfound rectitude, he started naming names of people who he thought drank too much. And started alluding to a couple of people who fooled around. It was probably the most awkward moment I've ever witnessed and, looking back on it, probably one of the funniest.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,539,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, that reminds me of something that happened at my church about ten years ago. This guy disappeared for a while. As it turns out he was an alcoholic who had had several affairs during the course of his disease.

He comes back and starts volunteering all this information in a class. We're all sitting there thinking, "Well, Lou, anybody can go down the right path, and we don't need to hear about this. Glad you've really turned things around."

However, he wasn't content with that. Now, with his newfound rectitude, he started naming names of people who he thought drank too much. And started alluding to a couple of people who fooled around. It was probably the most awkward moment I've ever witnessed and, looking back on it, probably one of the funniest.
So was he suggesting putting up a cork board and starting a "Featured Alcoholic Of The Week" Post ? Pictures stupid grins and all....now that would be funny.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM

12,941 posts, read 19,270,836 times
"There's no fool like a reformed fool" my grandpa used to say...

Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,547,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
So was he suggesting putting up a cork board and starting a "Featured Alcoholic Of The Week" Post ? Pictures stupid grins and all....now that would be funny.
Seriously. It was like dark comedy. It was all I could do to suppress a nervous laugh.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,895,741 times
The ones I've encountered personally were just a bunch of hypocrites who must have more skeletons in their closets than most people.

One recent example, and ex employee in my workplace. He worked in accounting and loved to sit in his high horse and judged everyone around him. He would quote the bible all the time and professed himself as a church-going, God-fearing, man. He moved to another company one day, and later on, his boss discovered that he has charged a bunch of expensive personal things (such as top of the line laptop, latest playstation, some power tools, etc) using the company's account. His boss called this ex employee right away to confront him, and he sheepishly told the boss that he meant to pay it back before he left the company but 'forgot' about it (riiiight! ). His boss gave him 24 hours to pay everything back or he'd file criminal charges. Needless to say this ex employee has a red 'no re-hire' note on his file.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM

19,607 posts, read 19,728,576 times
Even though it wasn't 'talking' ....we did leave the yard with the 'FOR SALE" used car sitting in it rather quickly when the oh-so-trustworthy gentleman came out of the house carrying a bible.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:27 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,666,112 times
My friends and I talk about this all the time! We have come to a group conclusion that those who are far too eager to preach to the rest of us common folk about their virtues are the ones who have something to hide.

Just look at all the fire and brimstone preachers that have fallen from grace...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships