U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 05:32 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,080,628 times

Advertisements

Kind of along the other questions here about eharmony but for platonic relationships.

How do most of you meet FRIENDS? Aside from work, since I'm working from home right now, and church, since we dont' go to church.

I am happily partnered but we don't have very many friends aside from folks who were "my" friends before we met, people I've known for decades, who are always busy and in a different stage of life right now.

We would like to meet other couples (we're a lesbian couple FYI)... and I wondered if anyone has successfully increased their social circle via Craigslist's "platonic" section or similar online resources? Just trying to find folks to hang out with, grab a bite, play some pool, have over for a barbecue, that sort of thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:47 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,838,686 times
Have you tried meetup.com?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,763,567 times
try taking a class at a rec center, art center, school to meet people

Old 08-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Have you tried meetup.com?
I have no idea what that is. Off to see though. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
try taking a class at a rec center, art center, school to meet people
Good idea... I guess it didn't help that the last college classes I took were all online!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,308,759 times
have you tried a "lesbian feeling circle"?

ok seriously tho. i know a lezbianic couple that also only has one sided friends. one partners friends.

to make friends they joined a basketball league. they started attending lesbian films. lesbian poetry readings. etc etc.

lesbian this
lesbian that

then they only had lesbian friends.

so my suggestion would be to spend time at the park. get to know your neighbors.
go bowling. join a league.

as for the online stuff... no this is the only online spot i frequent. i really couldnt say tho.

but check out your local cafe. bookstore. theatre. its harder with kids, so maybe online ,ight be the only option, but try to make time for yourselves and go on dates. try double dating.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 AM

663 posts, read 5,260,830 times
Yes, I have used Craig's List to meet platonic female friends.

I've gone out on many outings with women I've met off there, and everyone was nice and normal. However, for whatever reason (I attribute it to the general flakiness of people on there), only one gal has resulted in a friendship. I'm still friends with her today, and I met her two years ago. In general, though, people I've met off there are very flaky. Like they'll exchange two emails with you and then you'll never hear from them again. And I've used CL a lot to meet people, because I'm new to my area and barely know anyone. I've also organized a women's brunch club and a women's book club through Craig's List (in my old city), both of which were fun while they lasted.

The nice thing about Craig's List, at least in theory, is that if someone responds to your ad for friends, or if you respond to theirs, you know they're looking to make new friends. Unlike real life, where if you go to a social group outing, like meetup.com or something, you have no idea if the other people there are open to making new friends, or are just there for the activity. I have joined plenty of meetup.com groups, but find people are just there for the activity and are not interested in making new friends.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM

42,837 posts, read 78,777,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Kind of along the other questions here about eharmony but for platonic relationships.

How do most of you meet FRIENDS? Aside from work, since I'm working from home right now, and church, since we dont' go to church.

I am happily partnered but we don't have very many friends aside from folks who were "my" friends before we met, people I've known for decades, who are always busy and in a different stage of life right now.

We would like to meet other couples (we're a lesbian couple FYI)... and I wondered if anyone has successfully increased their social circle via Craigslist's "platonic" section or similar online resources? Just trying to find folks to hang out with, grab a bite, play some pool, have over for a barbecue, that sort of thing.
You can also try MEETin.org - Fun Events Free Events Make new friends in your city..

Old 08-25-2008, 06:17 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,158,848 times
Personally, I've gotten to despise Craigslist...it's not that it's a bad service to use, but the people using it are the one that get to me. I wish I could email the postmaster and have my IP address blocked from accessing it. I've read personals and I've even responded to some, but as doglover says, people are flaky. What really gets under my skin are the ads in which guys (this seems to be more of an issue with local gay males, but maybe y'all can prove me wrong) say they're looking for friends, BUT you need to look like this...be white, be thin, be no older than 30, don't look like this, don't do this...hell, I didn't know that making a friend was like applying for a PhD. program. If people are that shallow online, then I guess my small circle of friends is fine with me

Old 08-25-2008, 06:30 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,270,058 times
i've tried it...mostly weirdos have contacted me lol. Very entertaining at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships