U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM

4,459 posts, read 6,354,239 times

Advertisements

Need some help from all those members who think they are Dr. Freud.

I decided I had to end a 10 year friendship.

Reasons; over the last few years this person become increasingly negative. Every time they came to my house for drinks and dinner- I would have to put up with at least one if not two 'put downs'

Something like 'oh you painted your kitchen like Florida' the color---

or comments at a dinner party with mixed couples about my haircut that where less then complimentary.

Or when I had an exotic plant in my garden that is tough to grow here- I get the response in a rather nasty 'oh I know people who have cactus'

or 'Well if you go off your medication you will go back to the way you where before.........'

I put up with this for years- when I visited his house- I had enough class and would never make nasty or mean comments.

When I gave this person a nice set of canisters for his kitchen- never got a 'thank you'.

This person is very well off- has a sense of entitlement- has two trust funds and does not have to worry the rest of his life----

any comments ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM

4,589 posts, read 11,945,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Need some help from all those members who think they are Dr. Freud.

I decided I had to end a 10 year friendship.

Reasons; over the last few years this person become increasingly negative. Every time they came to my house for drinks and dinner- I would have to put up with at least one if not two 'put downs'

Something like 'oh you painted your kitchen like Florida' the color---

or comments at a dinner party with mixed couples about my haircut that where less then complimentary.

Or when I had an exotic plant in my garden that is tough to grow here- I get the response in a rather nasty 'oh I know people who have cactus'

or 'Well if you go off your medication you will go back to the way you where before.........'

I punt up with this for years- when I visited his house- I had enough class and would never make nasty or mean comments.

When I gave this person a nice set of canisters for his kitchen- never got a 'thank you'.

This person is very well off- has a sense of entitlement- has two trust funds and does not have to worry the rest of his life----

any comments ??
Jealousy is a B*IT*H.....she's jealous......and bitter......clean house, life's too short to have to deal with ppl that treat you that way. Just MO...Best of luck to you

Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,841,620 times
You're better off without someone who is so negative. It's very draining being around people who don't have a positive thing to say about anything. I say good riddance!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 PM

Thanks SanAntoQT

I feel the same- also I want to add they are very controlling- and use their 'Assets' aka bank account etc as a means to control and dominate.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:03 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,841,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Thanks SanAntoQT

I feel the same- also I want to add they are very controlling- and use there 'Assets' aka bank account etc as a means to control and dominate.
Even worse! Obviously, this person believes that if he throws money at the "problem," it'll smooth things over. I wouldn't sweat losing this guy's friendship.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks again

they do try and 'buy' people too bad

bad news for you- He wants to move to San Diego! Seems everyone here knows his MO.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,297,392 times
Bitter, jealous, a poor friend, probable personality disorder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Jealousy is a B*IT*H.....she's jealous......and bitter......clean house, life's too short to have to deal with ppl that treat you that way. Just MO...Best of luck to you

Old 08-06-2008, 04:08 PM

271 posts, read 946,588 times
And you were friends with this guy for 10yrs because..........?

This does not sound like any kind of friendship to me. If this was someone that you truly cared for as a friend you would've said something a long time ago and not let petty things get in the way of your frienship. Seems like you let things get by cus you really didn't care one way or the other.

Friendship is like any other relationship.........you gotta have communication. With my friends if i really care about their friendship, i will say something so that it gets cleared up and it doesn't interfere with our friendship.

Like in any relationship, you gotta choose your battles, know when it's worth saying something and when it's such a little thing that it's best just to let it go. If it bothers you that much.........speak up and say something and get passed it, a good friend is not worth loosing over stupid things. JMHO.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:12 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,297,392 times
the original poster may have been very optimistic or lonely and therefore put up with negativeness and rudeness throughout the friendship...

Old 08-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Well guyz now you know why he is gone

I tried several times to help him- tried in a soft way he needs medication-
From my observation suffers from GAD general anxiety disorder, also obsessive compulsive disorder (s) of some type- does not need to change I guess- his life has been too easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships