Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

I disagree. People are really self-absorbed and manipulative...add that in with being very busy and distracted with petty life problems and you've got the perfect "irritating person" ... however I've met a handful of people that are good communicators and really nice...it is just more rare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I think part of it is just the realities of growing up, being an adult. It's hard to make time for friends when you have a job, bills to worry about, a family... I think it's more that people are just busy than self-absorbed. Everyone is very into their own lives and there are only so many hours in the day. I've been guilty of the same so I don't fault my friends for it. Now I just realize that I have mostly acquaintenances and only a few real, close friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:19 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
The only people that are totally interested in my life would be my family and my boyfriend. However, I feel that there are co-workers and friends that are truly interested in small parts of my life. These information exchanges are a balance of give and take, and respecting what we all have in common. With my younger female co-workers, we talk a little about their university experiences versus what my college experience was like. Or we talk about guys a little. Then we collectively vent about our supervisors or bad co-workers. With my male co-workers we talk about our cars. With my female friends, if one friend is single and unattached, I won't talk very much about my boyfriend (out of respect for her single status) but we'll talk about work and projects that need to be done around our houses. With these conversations, I feel that it's fair to be equally and listener and a talker. And I don't expect these people (who are not my family or my boyfriend) to be interested in hearing about all the details in my life.

If someone is not a good listener, then I distance myself from them and stop listening to what they want to tell me about their personal life.

One of my managers has an annoying habit of mirroring my gripes. If I say that my feet hurt, then he doesn't even bother sympathizing with my problem, and he immediately replies that his feet hurt too and how he has to buy $150 shoes. So he's copying my gripe and then saying that he's in worse shape than me! So I only talk to him when I have to.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 PM

355 posts, read 1,376,351 times
people in my life arent interested in me but they are not even interested in their own lives. they watch years go by watching television while sitting in a pool of their own filth.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Ovid wrote, "To be loved, you first must be lovable."

I, fortunately, am relentlessly fascinating. I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently.

Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after work, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400.

My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations with the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven.

I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin.

I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

No wonder my friends clamor to bask in my reflected glory.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Ovid wrote, "To be loved, you first must be lovable."

I, fortunately, am relentlessly fascinating. I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently.

Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after work, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400.

My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations with the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven.

I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin.

I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

No wonder my friends clamor to bask in my reflected glory.
And you have the amazing Oyster Yacht, if I am not mistaken!

Well, I always find you utterly fascinating.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
And you have the amazing Oyster Yacht, if I am not mistaken!

Well, I always find you utterly fascinating.
Actually, the vast middle part was stolen from here. All I did was supply the bookends: Humor Collection/Academic Jokes\The Admissions Letter.txt

Can you imagine have the cojones to actually write this on your college application? I wish I had.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:38 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, the vast middle part was stolen from here. All I did was supply the bookends: Humor Collection/Academic Jokes\The Admissions Letter.txt

Can you imagine have the cojones to actually write this on your college application? I wish I had.
Yes that would take some, well, orbs, to write that and actually submit it!!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
You must be from CA.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:20 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
You must be from CA.
rofl

Old 08-14-2008, 05:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times
I am only 25, but since I got out of college last year I find it increasingly difficult to make friends. Alot of my friends now really dont give a **** about me. I dont hear from them unless I call them . When I have a problem and I need to rant, I cant...cause they dont say anything back or even act interested, but I have attracted these kinds of folks my whole life. Although, I actually have always given the shirt off my back for my friends, its not reciprocal. people say what goes around, comes around, but I dont see that. My friends dont have time for me, unless they are bored to death and need someone to hang out with, then they call and blow up my phone. I'm scared to make new friends cause when you open up to people and they learn your weaknesses, they use them to hurt you or put you down. Plus, when most people express themselves they feel they need to be as harsh as possible and I am too thin skinned for most people's taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships