Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

Uh don't you think that is a lot bit malicious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Uh don't you think that is a lot bit malicious?
is that like a mix between a lot and a little??? lol

Old 08-18-2008, 09:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I was walking down the street and saw my next door neighbor (who I do not know to well) standing in her yard with a water hose. I called out her name and said. "hello, how are you doing." Her reply was bored and indifferent. Then she rushed into her home while saying, "I do not have time to talk to you."

Then a few things happened:

My wife, who was standing nearby said, "she really put you in your place didn't she"

The unfriendly next door neighbor showed she had power. By rejecting me, she showed who was boss. In our strange society, the person who rejects the social engagement or offer seems to have the upper hand. It reminded me of when I was in College and went up to a girl at a bar and asked her to dance and when she said no, my friends said, "Boy, she put you in your place didn't she?" I was shot down by the neighbor just like the girl back at the college bar 25 years ago.

And to think I only wanted to be friendly and say hello! No dance was expected!
This sounds like high school. Why are you concerened w/the random reaction of a stranger- maybe she just found out her husband cheated on her....

In my case the ex always cared and obsessed over what neighbors acted like, if they are stuck up etc...I could care less...Move on. people take advantage of your insecurities.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:17 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Power? The only power she has is what you give her. And how was she "rejecting" you? It was a simple greeting....not a proposal of marriage.

I wouldn't have given her reaction a second thought....why take it so personally?

I would hate for my self-esteem depend on what some random person said or did....that's scary.
Exactly.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Sounds like your neighbor has issues. Ignore her next time and IF she ever says hello just tell her you don't have time to talk to her.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,741 times
I'm sure i did this already??

I find the same problem as you!! But on the other hand i can act in an abrupt manner myself on occassion...usually when i have PMT ;0) On the occassions where i find myself acting like a miserable bugger i usually wander off feeling even worse than i was feeling in the first place. She could well have felt bad about it as soon as she had done it....but she wasn't feeling sociable at that precise moment...so you got it in the neck.
I experience both sides of the coin...in my dual-personality...psycho...hormonal way ;0) on't take it personally..as personal as it feels at times. It's not social power....it's just bad timing.

x

Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
No, if someone treats me poorly, I know it's their problem because I am wonderful.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
She said she was busy, I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,587 times
First, about the garden hose, was she watering her lawn with rum? I think she might have stopped to sip a little bit here and there..

Ok.. enough of that.

I strongly believe that the reason some people act cold and indifferent to others is that.. well... they just aren't a people person. Maybe they've never really learned how to be around people.. maybe they are shy.. maybe they just had a porcupine crawl up their bum and puff up.

I don't think that it has anything to do with power... or lack of it.

When I meet people like that I just smile.. and then ask if they've sat on any porcupines lately.

Hey, humor does open the doors for conversation.. Just be ready if that conversation involves shoe throwing.. Ask Bush for help handling that situation.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I was walking down the street and saw my next door neighbor (who I do not know to well) standing in her yard with a water hose. I called out her name and said. "hello, how are you doing." Her reply was bored and indifferent. Then she rushed into her home while saying, "I do not have time to talk to you."

Then a few things happened:

My wife, who was standing nearby said, "she really put you in your place didn't she"

The unfriendly next door neighbor showed she had power. By rejecting me, she showed who was boss. In our strange society, the person who rejects the social engagement or offer seems to have the upper hand. It reminded me of when I was in College and went up to a girl at a bar and asked her to dance and when she said no, my friends said, "Boy, she put you in your place didn't she?" I was shot down by the neighbor just like the girl back at the college bar 25 years ago.

And to think I only wanted to be friendly and say hello! No dance was expected!
she doesn't respect you. But since it's a neighbour, then still be cordial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships