U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 AM

485 posts, read 1,660,340 times

Advertisements

My only brother and I were once very close but not any more. Because we were close in age we were like best friends when we were younger. But as we aged I moved ahead emotionally, financially, professionally and mentally. He did to, but at a different level. (he would disagree of course). Now we have absolutely nothing in common anymore and if we were not brothers we would not give each other the time of day.

I suspect he is disappointed in what I have become and so am I about him. Can you relate?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 AM

3,662 posts, read 7,531,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
My only brother and I were once very close but not any more. Because we were close in age we were like best friends when we were younger. But as we aged I moved ahead emotionally, financially, professionally and mentally. He did to, but at a different level. (he would disagree of course). Now we have absolutely nothing in common anymore and if we were not brothers we would not give each other the time of day.

I suspect he is disappointed in what I have become and so am I about him. Can you relate?
Yes, My sister moved to California 13 yrs ago and became an uptight snob. She doesn't like my lifestyle and I do not like hers. We have nothing in common and really only talk once every few years. If we were not sisters we would have never met. We would never have picked each other out as friends. We are completely different people.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 AM

7,005 posts, read 18,620,747 times
I'm my mom's only child so I grew up pretty much by myself. Later in life I found out I had 5 half brothers but we don't get along.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 AM

240 posts, read 1,209,646 times
I am an only child but I see this with my mother and her siblings. My mom has 5 siblings ( 3 brothers and 2 sisters) an only 3 of them keep in touch. My mom even has a twin brother who has basically disappeared from her life. Growing up I remember him coming around and they were very close. Over the years they never speak or see each other. I suppose people just grow apart and go on to live their own lives. And my mom's sisters have always been so jealous of her that they are annoying. Because of this I have always been glad to be an only child.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 AM

4,589 posts, read 11,967,664 times
Quote:

my brothers and I are really close, one older one younger, but my mom and her sister have the type of relationship you described above......one thing that really saddens me is how fake my aunt is.....it's like, when they get together for family events she is sooooo fake towards my mom it's actually really sickening....my moms sister is very competative and my mom isn't....I do feel for my mom bcs she really does care for her sister and wishes they were better friends and hates that it's always made a competition but ya' know......one thing i've come to realize is sometimes ppl are how they are going to be and you can't do much to change it so just be yourself, do what you know is the right thing and go on to make true friends in your life.......

Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 AM

9 posts, read 37,570 times
My brother is 11 years older than I am so I always felt like an only child in the family. We were close when I was young- he would take me places and let me spend time with him and his friends. I have fond memories. When I went through my teenage years and encountered issues with my parents, around age 15 and 16, I think he lost respect for me but never cared to hear my side of the story. I think that's when we grew apart. I try and try to get him to make plans with me when I'm in town, but he can't commit to anything. He has a wife now that unfortunately the family mostly doesn't like but accepts, three step-children, and one child of his own. Needless to say that they are his priorities now. I've learned to accept it but have always hoped that maybe one day we could be close again, but I think that our age difference and locations will prevent that.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,542,413 times
I have two brothers and a sister.
My younger brother lives in the same town as I do. My older brother lives in Illinios and my sister in MO.
I actually talk to my sister the most. But we all can go a couple months without talking and it's no big deal.

We make a point of not getting up in each other's business unless asked. But we have also worked very hard on keeping our relationships close.

Which means accepting each other as we are and a lot of forgiving.

This doesn't mean there aren't times I wish I was on only child ophan.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 AM

203 posts, read 833,046 times
Quote:

I can relate........love my bros, however we are like night and day and have completely different objectives in life. One is an uptight status seeking "it's all about appearance and money" and the other is "mentally off" a tad and basically the type if you didn't know him?!....You'd probably cross the street to avoid him! Ha! I describe myself to others as a "Janis Joplin type........ya know, moments before her death",lol. Whatever "type" you are .........Who cares! I love the differences in people and if you make the effort!..........Really really make the effort.......you can find a common bond.........Don't give up, we're talking blood and it's worth it!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:18 AM

42,837 posts, read 79,032,965 times
I was an only child and there was a time I wished I had a brother or a sister. However, the more relationships between siblings I see later in life, the less I regret not having any.

When I was a teen I really wanted to have a brother a few years older than I am, so I can pretend going out with him and split at the nearest corner.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 AM

13,779 posts, read 23,729,718 times
My brother and I are very close and always have been but my husbands relationship with his sisters has deteriorated at an amazing pace in the past 10 years.

There is a pecking order in their family and he is the youngest. We had children first, owned a home first, own our own business, and they do not like that at all. It has been a sad series of events but my husband seems to deal with it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or