Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
My MIL is that way too!!!

CPG, my neighbor had just moved into our neighborhood and were going to do so me renovations on their home but no plans had been confirmed. The neighbors went out of town for the week and came home to find NO trees in their front and side yard!!! They went to the other neighbors to ask if they had seen anything and they told them a tree company had been in the yard.

The tree company was called and guess who scheduled them?? The FIL!!! Not only that, he had them cut the trees from the wrong side of the house!!! I never heard what ever happened with the FIL...I was afraid to ask
Well, if there's a fresh mound of earth in the back yard, you have a clue.

My FIL is just your basic arrogant a-hole. He thinks he knows what's best for everybody, and tells them. His five children, all in their 30s and 40s, just docilely nod at his sage advice, which is often ludicrous. However, I set the tone early in our marriage. When he started blathering on at the dinner table about what I was doing in my professional life, I said nicely, "I'm sorry, but when I want your opinion I'll ask for it. Thanks." And resumed eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Thats interesting. I never considered that they were trying to "organize" me. More like theyre telling me what they think is wrong with me so I can fix it and be "normal" like them. What is "normal" anyway. And who picked them as the Prophet. Besides maybe I like being abnormal. Im not broke I dont need fixed.

I usually just listen and then do as I please. I see no need to argue. Im the only one who gets to decide for me so Im either gonna do it or Im not. Sometimes they just wont take no for an answer tho. if theyre nice I tell them to back off nicely. But if they get too obnoxious I tell them what I think is wrong with them.
Hey. Ever think not every body wants to know what you think is wrong with them.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:07 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
OMG
Can you imagine??? They even called the police before they called the neighbors!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, if there's a fresh mound of earth in the back yard, you have a clue.

My FIL is just your basic arrogant a-hole. He thinks he knows what's best for everybody, and tells them. His five children, all in their 30s and 40s, just docilely nod at his sage advice, which is often ludicrous. However, I set the tone early in our marriage. When he started blathering on at the dinner table about what I was doing in my professional life, I said nicely, "I'm sorry, but when I want your opinion I'll ask for it. Thanks." And resumed eating.
I'll go check for any disturbances in the ground, or a new "patio"...

Old 09-12-2008, 07:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Can you imagine??? They even called the police before they called the neighbors!
You know, I had an administrative assistant once who was 19 when she got married to the biggest goober on the planet. I mean, this guy was the most pathetic Mama's boy ever.

His parents, without consulting her, bought them a house three doors down the street. She asked me what I thought, and I said, "Uh oh. Your life is about to be big trouble."

Sure enough, the MIL and FIL were ALWAYS over there getting into their business. The goober husband would be out mowing their yard, and the mother would come down with a glass of lemonade. They were always sniping at how Amy did things, how he did things, etc. etc. etc. Almost every day, and absolutely every Monday morning, I'd hear the litany of fresh outrages at the hands of the in-laws.

She asked me what I'd recommend, and I recommended saying, "Okay, either you're married to your parents or you're married to me. Decide."

The next week, they planted a For Sale sign in their yard and moved five or six miles away. I left for another job, so I never heard how things worked out.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 AM

I think Id be calling the police too if some Yahoo cut down my trees. My Outlaws are not talking to me. But thats another thread. Seems Im a trouble maker and they expect an apology. Which Im not giving. So theyre not talking to me. Yippie!!

I guess Ive been lucky so far. Nobody has actually physically messed with any of my stuff. Just crtitiques. Thanks to these people and others in the know Ive found out that I cant dress myself. Im wearing the wrong glasses, My yard is a mess, I dont know how to decorate and my house is too dark inside. Oh and my hair is too long. And Im not feminine cause I dont wear pink.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I think Id be calling the police too if some Yahoo cut down my trees. My Outlaws are not talking to me. But thats another thread. Seems Im a trouble maker and they expect an apology. Which Im not giving. So theyre not talking to me. Yippie!!

I guess Ive been lucky so far. Nobody has actually physically messed with any of my stuff. Just crtitiques. Thanks to these people and others in the know Ive found out that I cant dress myself. Im wearing the wrong glasses, My yard is a mess, I dont know how to decorate and my house is too dark inside. Oh and my hair is too long. And Im not feminine cause I dont wear pink.
I have not had any of my in laws mess with my stuff but the SIL has complained about the color of my shutters! They are historically accurate for the house. Anyway, her son said something about his mother not liking the shutter color and I told him" Well, when your mother can afford the mortgage payments she can make the decision to change them"...I still feel bad about saying that

My MIL cut my sons hair when he was a baby and changed his bottles while she was watching him...that 's about it, though.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I

.I still feel bad about saying that

No you dont.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
So only three people in your life have tried to organize you or offer advice you didn't want? And you're grousing about it? You have an awfully keen memory of events that are so widely spaced.

What's up with that?
Not a damn thing. They just stand out in that the remainder of my friends are more educated and more accomplished yet capable of respectful dialogue without a "telling" style. The difference is so glaring, that it stands out.

And, yes, my parents, just like most parents, often had a "telling" style. I figuratively gave them the "middle finger" quite often.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:19 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Because officious people suffer from arrogance.
Can't it also be, to some extent, that people who suffer from an inferiority complex tend to overcompensate or deflect it with a superiority complex? I see this in some of these people, particularly the lady with a drinking problem who was my Mom's neighbor/fellow parishioner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships