U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,926,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
So, yeah, i'm probably laughing at most of you when i serve you.
Oh, we know that! Don't I listen to our sales people all day?! As soon as they hang up the phone and are done with their sickening sugar-coated voices they start discussing what doofuses the clients are. Not that they're not... One of them keeps records of the little things clients mention and asks them about their kids, husbands, what not (I mean specifics!)... How fake is THAT?! As if if somebody asks me such questions I'm gonna believe he truly remembers it and cares... Now that's on the other end of the spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,631,923 times
See, I don't have that problem. Then again, I live in the South.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,984,214 times
Customer Service is just all around bad....companies care too much about the bottom line and hire the cheapest employess they can afford. But you know what happend when you do that? Your quality of service falls and customers spend their money else where. I went to a restaurant last night and my friends and I were at the bar and customer says his beer is warm...the bartender said it wasnt her problem.....WTF?!?! And when the guy informed her about service and that her attitude and service affects her tip she continued to be RUDE!!!!! I'll never spend my money at that place and a few other service places as well again.

Oh and btw, this is in the south..but whether your are in the south or the north customer service sucks and companies need to step it way up for me to spend my money with them.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Customer Service is just all around bad....companies care too much about the bottom line and hire the cheapest employess they can afford. But you know what happend when you do that? Your quality of service falls and customers spend their money else where. I went to a restaurant last night and my friends and I were at the bar and customer says his beer is warm...the bartender said it wasnt her problem.....WTF?!?! And when the guy informed her about service and that her attitude and service affects her tip she continued to be RUDE!!!!! I'll never spend my money at that place and a few other service places as well again.

Oh and btw, this is in the south..but whether your are in the south or the north customer service sucks and companies need to step it way up for me to spend my money with them.
You know, once I decided to make a point and wrote zero on the tip line. They did get $5 more out of the credit card, though! I didn't feel like fighting it... not sure how they did it, but they did.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 PM

12,941 posts, read 19,305,675 times
There's a lot of truth in the statements so far on this thread. I think it's a mix of young attitude, being beat down by your superiors, and the general trend of society not to give a flying F.

I always thought it was just big-chain stores, too, but it's leaked into Mom-and-Pop operations as well.

People just don't give a damn anymore, for the most part. Why should they? They're only out for themselves anyway.

That's why Internet shopping is such a blessing. If you're going to be a robot, might as well have the hardware to show for it.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,192,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
As most of you know, I haven't spent my entire life in this country, so I'm curious to know how and when the robotization process started. What do I mean by this? I'm talking about the smileless, expressionless robots in the service fields. The kind that never goes off the script, the kind that can never solve any problem that happens to be off the script and call for some creativity or perhaps even bending the rules somewhat, the kind that doesn't allow any humor in his/hers or anybody's life. I'll stop here before giving any more examples...

I just happened to observe a group of (happened to be) guys in the drug store I went to. All of them were in their late 20s and early 30s. On the surface all looked like humans; however, only about half really were. The humans were smiling, joking, and being friendly; the robots were confirming addresses for the umpteenth time, "releasing" drugs, dispersing privacy policies while having stone-cold faces all along.

I suspect things haven't always been this way. How did this brain-washing start? Why? The topic may not be very appropriate here even though it's about human interactions because many on the forum are young and probably unaware of these changes. I'd imagine they don't even find anything wrong with it or understand what I refer to...
Ha,I noticed this years ago. Back then I just called it corporatization of people,especially where I lived in NJ. We later used to joke they were some pretty stiff people there,kind of like the Terminator
Nowadays the movie that comes to mind is They Live...very interesting

Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM

109 posts, read 262,025 times
Quote:
As most of you know, I haven't spent my entire life in this country, so I'm curious to know how and when the robotization process started. What do I mean by this? I'm talking about the smileless, expressionless robots in the service fields. The kind that never goes off the script, the kind that can never solve any problem that happens to be off the script and call for some creativity or perhaps even bending the rules somewhat, the kind that doesn't allow any humor in his/hers or anybody's life. I'll stop here before giving any more examples...

I just happened to observe a group of (happened to be) guys in the drug store I went to. All of them were in their late 20s and early 30s. On the surface all looked like humans; however, only about half really were. The humans were smiling, joking, and being friendly; the robots were confirming addresses for the umpteenth time, "releasing" drugs, dispersing privacy policies while having stone-cold faces all along.

I suspect things haven't always been this way. How did this brain-washing start? Why? The topic may not be very appropriate here even though it's about human interactions because many on the forum are young and probably unaware of these changes. I'd imagine they don't even find anything wrong with it or understand what I refer to...
It happened when SkyNet became self-aware.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Nowadays the movie that comes to mind is They Live...very interesting
Very unappreciated movie... Might become more understood and popular soon enough.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,192,596 times
Quote:
Well, have you not noticed the difference when you call some place? Sometimes you come across humans who talk like humans and act like humans. More often than not you come across the robots who know nothing more than reading their darn script and can't take a step off it.
You should live where I do,some are still subhuman

As far as the scripts,the only time I get that is when I call India...I mean for tech support and they sound scripted.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
You should live where I do,some are still subhuman

As far as the scripts,the only time I get that is when I call India...I mean for tech support and they sound scripted.
Well, I meant "script" in a metaphorical way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships