Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times

Advertisements

I am tired of self absorbed people. I need a better group of friends.

It seems like most people I know never ask about me. They never really show any interest in what I think, what I have been doing, what I want to talk about, discuss interesting topics I find fascinating. Is anyone interested in me?

Wait... now before I come off as sounding to self absorbed myself, I want to tell you I think a good friend shares an interest in talking about topics about them and the other person. I am interested in the other person if they are interested in me. But most people I know do not know conversation is a two way street.

How about your friends, are they as interested in your issues as you are theirs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Whether or not my friends are interested in what I think, feel and want to talk about depends on how they perceive the quality, importance and relevance of the things I think, feel, and want to talk about.

There's no way to tell who is 'right' or 'wrong' in this sort of situation, it is a matter of perspective. It may be that your friends are self-centered, or it may be that you too often try to share things which are inane.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:40 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am tired of self absorbed people. I need a better group of friends.

It seems like most people I know never ask about me. They never really show any interest in what I think, what I have been doing, what I want to talk about, discuss interesting topics I find fascinating. Is anyone interested in me?

Wait... now before I come off as sounding to self absorbed myself, I want to tell you I think a good friend shares an interest in talking about topics about them and the other person. I am interested in the other person if they are interested in me. But most people I know do not know conversation is a two way street.

How about your friends, are they as interested in your issues as you are theirs?
It sounds like we may have the same friends! I have a close friend that literally *only* calls to share some drama unfolding in her life and then has to go. Never, how are YOU, how is YOUR family, it has gotten to the point where I just don't pick up her calls because she drains me emotionally. I need new friends as well, maybe a few that can actually have an adult conversation about a variety of subjects

Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 AM

52,260 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Most people are only interested in themselves.

Don't fool yourself.

Life is such.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:18 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,893,720 times
It truly is - I don't have many close friends, just acquaintances.

You learn to get busy with life and a few interests so that you don't rely on people for your happiness. You meet other people through your interests. Sounds corny, but it's true!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I have really good friends. I aske them about what's going on in their lives, and they ask me about what's happening in mine. It's a two way street. I do know people who only want to talk about themselves, hence, they are not friends but rather acquaintances.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
That is because too many are self absorbed within their own being. I have a friend like that, drives me nuts yes it does. I will get to me after i find out what is happening in their lives good or bad. Most of my friends, are like this, but i too are the say way with them.This one girlfriend is self absorbed, to the point, that she wouldn't know i am even in the same room with her, or any on else.Yes i am getting tired of it. Most of my other friends, it is a mututal thing, to want to know what is going on with each other me and them. Usually it is a 2 way highway. But it is my fault with the one, for letting it continue.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
They are not friends if they don't spend some time focusing on you. As long as you're not a drama queen, there is no reason they shouldn't.

The friends I have decided to keep in my life do just that, and I do the same for them.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
What you need is a 'listener'. Believe it or not some people would rather focus on something other than themselves. I was like that most of my life and it was hard when I needed someone to listen to me, I was so uncomfortable talking about myself, but my friends came through and made it easy.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
OP- we must have the same friends. We moved last spring and since then I have become more and more pissed off at many of my "friends" who make no effort to call or reach out to me. Lets not go down the path of family either. Anyway - now Im so mad im pretty much reevaluating some of those relationships. For months (until about December) I kept those "friendships" alive but now im done. Screw it - time for new friends, or less friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships