Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:16 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
It is only a couple of months to the Holiday Season. Many of you will be traveling to the in-laws or immediate family for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I wonder what the average person does during these out of town family get togethers.

Do you sleep in the guest room, or on the floor during these out of town family get togethers? Or do you spend your time at a local Hotel so you can have some private time away from the conflict, small talk and lumpy mattress?

If you spend your evenings at a Hotel, how does it impact your RELATIONSHIP with your family?
OH NO!!! Not YOU again!!!

No, I never stay at any relatives' homes. I like my privacy, they probably like theirs too. And the obvious ... I'm just too fancy, gorgeous and beautiful to stay at some relative's house when the Ritz-Carlton is merely blocks away! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 10:17 AM

918 posts, read 1,642,917 times
I am too good looking to stay at a relative's house when there is a Super 8 a few hundred miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
OH NO!!! Not YOU again!!!

No, I never stay at any relatives' homes. I like my privacy, they probably like theirs too. And the obvious ... I'm just too fancy, gorgeous and beautiful to stay at some relative's house when the Ritz-Carlton is merely blocks away! LOL

Old 10-03-2008, 10:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
I used to do this to my husband, until I spent some time with his family. Now I know what it feels like. It's a tough spot too because I'm sure he likes my family, just not THAT much! lol

We don't do that anymore, staying at a hotel very nearby causes me and my husband to stay close and happy and yet I still get to see my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
When we go home for Christmas, we stay with my Mom. Its usually way too cold to get outside that time of year, so we are all stuck indoors from the time we get up, until the time to go to bed. Even though my husband enjoys their company, by the 3rd day, he`s bored to tears, and ready to go home. As for me...I just enjoy spending time with them, since I don`t get to see them much.
I`m sure by the 4th or 5th day, they are ready to see us packing our suit cases to head home.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,475 times
My husband insists on having his in-laws stay at our house, even though I hate it. It causes terrible marital strife for weeks before the visit and during. I have at last convinced him to let us stay at a hotel when we visit them to avoid the fights. He has a cousin whom I have never met coming in a few weeks. She is planning on staying 8 days. The fighting has already begun. Hard to believe our marriage our has lasted 20 years.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 AM

19,426 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pschladen View Post
My husband insists on having his in-laws stay at our house, even though I hate it. It causes terrible marital strife for weeks before the visit and during. I have at last convinced him to let us stay at a hotel when we visit them to avoid the fights. He has a cousin whom I have never met coming in a few weeks. She is planning on staying 8 days. The fighting has already begun. Hard to believe our marriage our has lasted 20 years.
Eight days with someone you've never met! Ooh, sounds fun.

I would rather stay at hotels, too. The problem is explaining to in-laws when they have several guest rooms... My FIL tries to insist we stay at their house although he admits he hates doing the same and always stays at a hotel...

Good luck on your marriage.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Well, I don't have any family, and didn't really care to be around the family I DID have. When I joined the military, it took a few years, but I realized, "Hey, there's no reason for me to EVER go back there." If I was actually in a relationship with someone when the holidays rolled around, I preferred it when we had our own traditions--OUR Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner...just the two of us.

Assuming I did have family, and would visit them at all, it would depend on two things. And one would be distance. If they lived out of state, I would probably decline the invitation out of hand. I wouldn't want to fly to wherever they were in the first place, but if I did by some chance decide to go out of state, then I would stay in a hotel overnight and fly back the next morning.

A more likely scenario would be that they lived 4 to 6 hours away in the same state--where I'd end up driving back home at the completion of the festivities. I prefer to leave BEFORE they start yawning and hinting that it's their bedtime.It's a rental car--I wouldn't want to be charged for an extra day.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:46 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,210 times
I always visit family! I stay at my Moms whenever I feel the need haha. When I go visit my Dad I usually come home the same day, but its only bc he lives further and I dont want my whole weekend consumed by driving. But yes I will stay over.

I cant imagine ever staying at a hotel over being with family!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
^There is no way I'd be comfortable getting "frisky" with my SO if we were at a relative's house. I wouldn't even feel comfortable getting "frisky" with my SO if the relatives came to OUR house. When the lights go out for the night, you're no longer actually interacting with the relatives, so I can't say that I see a point in it.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
^There is no way I'd be comfortable getting "frisky" with my SO if we were at a relative's house. I wouldn't even feel comfortable getting "frisky" with my SO if the relatives came to OUR house. When the lights go out for the night, you're no longer actually interacting with the relatives, so I can't say that I see a point in it.
I enjoy staying over because my family usually stays up late socializing and chatting and hanging out. I suppose we just have a really great time when we're together so we dont feel rushed to leave, and we can wake up to have breakfast together. As for getting "frisky" at relatives houses...if it makes you that uncomfortable cant you go just one night without being "frisky?" I mean it doesnt really matter for you since you dont stay with relatives, I just dont see why that would be a point, like one night is a big deal. No offense at all really!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships