U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:31 PM

24,852 posts, read 28,983,662 times

Advertisements

If the roommate was assigned in a collage dormitory, there could be a legal issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 05:41 PM

25,165 posts, read 45,071,508 times
Oops, I forgot to add the word "conservative" I meant most conservative people would be like ugh weird....but yes I agree with you it shouldn't be a big issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
People educated on the subject shouldn't find it weird. It's a medical problem for pete's sake. I do however agree that the homeowner should be told so that she can decide for herself whether or not she wants to be prejudiced.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 PM

5,500 posts, read 18,576,382 times
"It puts the lotion in the basket... I SAID PUT THE F****G LOTION IN THE BASKET !!!!!"

Personally, I think the transgender person should have been upfront with my friend from the beginning. It wasn't, so to me that is lying. It said it had left its husband who was a jerk. Well, it turns out the husband was the wife. I thought it was strange from the beginning that "she" did not have custody of "her" own children because a mother almost always has custody of the kids. But now we know why, "she" did not give birth to the children. "She" was their father!!!!

I am completely okay with gays and lesbians but a man who wants to butcher himself and take female hormones, that's just too over the top for me. I can't deal with that, and I know for sure my friend is not going to handle this news well. She was very excited about having this new female roommate. I mean, thrilled. It was the ideal relationship, and now, suddenly, someone has to tell her that this woman was born with p-e-n-i-s. This is not going to go over well.

I find it extremely distressful!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 PM

45,264 posts, read 81,200,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Oops, I forgot to add the word "conservative" I meant most conservative people would be like ugh weird....but yes I agree with you it shouldn't be a big issue....
Well, again, I consider myself conservative, but I wouldn't ostrasize a person just because they have some kind of medical problem. Yes, it is an unusual problem, and sure some people might think it's weird, but hopefully with some education most people would feel compassion for these folks. More important is whether or not they make a good roommate by paying the rent on time, being respectful of the homeowners home by not damaging it and living considerately of each other.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 PM

45,264 posts, read 81,200,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
"It puts the lotion in the basket... I SAID PUT THE F****G LOTION IN THE BASKET !!!!!"

Personally, I think the transgender person should have been upfront with my friend from the beginning. She wasn't, so to me that is lying. She said she left her husband who was a jerk, well it turns out the husband was the wife. I thought it was strange from the beginning that she did not have custody of the kids because a mother almost always has custody of the kids. But now we know why, she did not give birth to the children. She was their father!!!!

I am completely okay with gays and lesbians but a man who wants to butcher himself and take female hormones, that's just too over the top for me. I can't deal with that, and I know for sure my friend is not going to handle this news well. She was very excited about having this new female roommate. I mean, thrilled. It was the ideal relationship, and now, suddenly, someone has to tell her that this woman was born with p-e-n-i-s. This is not going to go over well.

I find it extremely distressful!
I'm sorry, but you are just showing your complete ignorance on the subject - stop talking now before you make yourself look even more petty and uneducated than you already do.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 PM

56 posts, read 133,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If the roommate was assigned in a collage dormitory, there could be a legal issue.

People are assigned dorms based on their legal sex. So, if a m to f transgendered person, who is legally female, were assigned to a women's dorm...no legal problem.

If I were in the OPs situation, I would tell my friend what I heard. But I wouldn't have any problem with it. Transgendered people aren't all that different from everyone else on a day-to-day basis.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:53 PM

5,500 posts, read 18,576,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's a HUGE issue!!!

How would you feel if you were dating a woman who turned out to have been a man. Are you saying that's not an issue?

Yes, it is an issue for some people! If you are living with the person, it is an issue !!!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:53 PM

Silence of the lambs made me afraid of all cross dressers and pre-op trannys.

Quote:
[i]"It puts the lotion in the basket... I SAID PUT THE F****G LOTION IN THE BASKET !!!!!"

Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Dude, I was just trying to be friendly to lovesmountains, because she is my friend and gives me rep points all the time; however, I tend to agree more with you. Silence of the lambs really made me scared of trannys.

Quote:
It's a HUGE issue!!!

How would you feel if you were dating a woman who turned out to have been a man. Are you saying that's not an issue?

Yes, it is an issue for some people! If you are living with the person, it is an issue !!!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 PM

2,689 posts, read 5,804,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm sorry, but you are just showing your complete ignorance on the subject - stop talking now before you make yourself look even more petty and uneducated than you already do.
Because your opinon on the subject isn't the same as other people's doesn't mean they're petty or uneducated. It means they have an opinion... that isn't the same as your opinion.

Now, if they were out qouting non-existing statisics and such... then that may be considered uneducated, etc.

If I were you, I'd be more open to others opinions. It could either reaffirm your own opinion... or maybe even rethink your opinion. Either way, it shows open-mindedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships