Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times

Advertisements

As morbid as this sounds, every now and then I wonder what will people say about me when I'm gone, what kind of flowers will my husband have there, what clothes will he decide to bury me in and what will he write in my obit.

Has anyone else wondered about this? After I started thinking about it I think I am going to write my own obit, pick out my tombstone because I don't want something tacky, write a list of acceptable flowers, etc.

Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Wow, this evening's getting better and better by the minute!

Well, if I still live in this house it'll take quite a while for the neighbors to smell it. I suppose people from work will help out to preserve the neighborhood's health and wellness after I'm gone for a few days without calling.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 PM

I guess I have this overwhelming feeling that if I die before my husband he will do some stupid stuff, God bless him. Like have a velveeta cheese and rotel dip at the wake...you know, guy stuff.

I need to write down my wishes...No white trash food.

No carnations.

No pictures in obit of me at 21.

No etched photo of me on the tombstone.

Just thinking...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:52 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,088 times
I think about death all the time. I think it's because my birth mom passed away when I was 5 months old. I grew up with an abandonment issues, so in my teen's through 20's if anyone was more than 10 minutes late anywhere I would completely freak out about it because I just knew something happened. I've calmed down now, but even now I don't fear it, my fear is geared towards the way I die.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:52 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
As morbid as this sounds, every now and then I wonder what will people say about me when I'm gone, what kind of flowers will my husband have there, what clothes will he decide to bury me in and what will he write in my obit.

Has anyone else wondered about this? After I started thinking about it I think I am going to write my own obit, pick out my tombstone because I don't want something tacky, write a list of acceptable flowers, etc.

Just a thought...
Kind of on the the grim side for Polly...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Kind of on the the grim side for Polly...

Grim, really? I am laughing while I think about it...well, laughing because undoubtedly my husband will find the ugliest outfit I have and shove me in it...

Sorry. I am chuckling about it! I read The Sweet Potato Queens book and they had obituaries and they were hysterical! So, I want to eliminate the possibility for posthumous embarrassment

Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
I guess I have this overwhelming feeling that if I die before my husband he will do some stupid stuff, God bless him. Like have a velveeta cheese and rotel dip at the wake...you know, guy stuff.

I need to write down my wishes...No white trash food.

No carnations.

No pictures in obit of me at 21.

No etched photo of me on the tombstone.

Just thinking...
Man, who woulda thunk Martha Stewarts care to remain such even after they're gone?! Can't help ya here. I truly don't care. I'm sure the public health department will take care of me whether I leave them money to do so or not. Gotta protect the public health, ya know... Of course, your situation is very different. You have to preserve Polly's legacy for your children.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM

Really, you don't care? I care, but not the way I ever thought I would.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:00 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Grim, really? I am laughing while I think about it...well, laughing because undoubtedly my husband will find the ugliest outfit I have and shove me in it...

Sorry. I am chuckling about it! I read The Sweet Potato Queens book and they had obituaries and they were hysterical! So, I want to eliminate the possibility for posthumous embarrassment
Well I guess it isn't so grim if you are laughing about it.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:02 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
I have a friend who has hers completely planned out. Me, I don't care much. It's up to my family though I've given them some ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships