U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,752,107 times
Reputation: 7409

Advertisements

As morbid as this sounds, every now and then I wonder what will people say about me when I'm gone, what kind of flowers will my husband have there, what clothes will he decide to bury me in and what will he write in my obit.

Has anyone else wondered about this? After I started thinking about it I think I am going to write my own obit, pick out my tombstone because I don't want something tacky, write a list of acceptable flowers, etc.

Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 79,115,082 times
Reputation: 22814
Wow, this evening's getting better and better by the minute!

Well, if I still live in this house it'll take quite a while for the neighbors to smell it. I suppose people from work will help out to preserve the neighborhood's health and wellness after I'm gone for a few days without calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,752,107 times
Reputation: 7409
I guess I have this overwhelming feeling that if I die before my husband he will do some stupid stuff, God bless him. Like have a velveeta cheese and rotel dip at the wake...you know, guy stuff.

I need to write down my wishes...No white trash food.

No carnations.

No pictures in obit of me at 21.

No etched photo of me on the tombstone.

Just thinking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
754 posts, read 1,310,450 times
Reputation: 709
I think about death all the time. I think it's because my birth mom passed away when I was 5 months old. I grew up with an abandonment issues, so in my teen's through 20's if anyone was more than 10 minutes late anywhere I would completely freak out about it because I just knew something happened. I've calmed down now, but even now I don't fear it, my fear is geared towards the way I die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 08:52 PM
 
Location: So Cal
40,543 posts, read 40,038,803 times
Reputation: 41967
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
As morbid as this sounds, every now and then I wonder what will people say about me when I'm gone, what kind of flowers will my husband have there, what clothes will he decide to bury me in and what will he write in my obit.

Has anyone else wondered about this? After I started thinking about it I think I am going to write my own obit, pick out my tombstone because I don't want something tacky, write a list of acceptable flowers, etc.

Just a thought...
Kind of on the the grim side for Polly...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,752,107 times
Reputation: 7409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Kind of on the the grim side for Polly...

Grim, really? I am laughing while I think about it...well, laughing because undoubtedly my husband will find the ugliest outfit I have and shove me in it...

Sorry. I am chuckling about it! I read The Sweet Potato Queens book and they had obituaries and they were hysterical! So, I want to eliminate the possibility for posthumous embarrassment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 79,115,082 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I guess I have this overwhelming feeling that if I die before my husband he will do some stupid stuff, God bless him. Like have a velveeta cheese and rotel dip at the wake...you know, guy stuff.

I need to write down my wishes...No white trash food.

No carnations.

No pictures in obit of me at 21.

No etched photo of me on the tombstone.

Just thinking...
Man, who woulda thunk Martha Stewarts care to remain such even after they're gone?! Can't help ya here. I truly don't care. I'm sure the public health department will take care of me whether I leave them money to do so or not. Gotta protect the public health, ya know... Of course, your situation is very different. You have to preserve Polly's legacy for your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,752,107 times
Reputation: 7409
Really, you don't care? I care, but not the way I ever thought I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 09:00 PM
 
Location: So Cal
40,543 posts, read 40,038,803 times
Reputation: 41967
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Grim, really? I am laughing while I think about it...well, laughing because undoubtedly my husband will find the ugliest outfit I have and shove me in it...

Sorry. I am chuckling about it! I read The Sweet Potato Queens book and they had obituaries and they were hysterical! So, I want to eliminate the possibility for posthumous embarrassment
Well I guess it isn't so grim if you are laughing about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Land of 10000 Lakes +
5,554 posts, read 6,020,111 times
Reputation: 8561
I have a friend who has hers completely planned out. Me, I don't care much. It's up to my family though I've given them some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top