U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:12 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,338,485 times

Advertisements

I'm very impressed by your sensitivity and concern for the elderly, not to mention your friendliness. Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ajajaja, i though this was guna be about ornery, individuals. some old people can be a bit crotchety. since its about old people talking iwill say this much : i would never have a problem with an older person asking me questions like those. i dont think that reflects a loss of social skils. i think they probably have superior social skills. i know i would be as interested in them as well. they are confident enough to talk to perfect strangers.

the other day i was on the bus. on MY bus there is an older gentleman that gets on, hes about 78 or 80. he rides for a couple of stops and gets off one stop before me. i have seen him around for years. this last time i seen him i decided to get off the bus with him, i stopped him and asked him how long hes been in the area. how long hes rode the bus. how often he rides the bus.

we got into a nice conversation about mass transit and what los angeles was like when the street cars ruled (a time he remembers fondly).

i learned a lot. i think older people who ask questions seek to learn. anyone asking a question is looking for answers. i dont think its negative.

after a good 45 mins. i told him i didnt want to hold him up anymore. he wanted to talk more, and i promised next time i see him i would. thats all it required.

OLD PEOPLE LOVE TO TALK!!!

i am very happy and fortunate to encounter them.

I LOVE TO LEARN FROM THEM.

there is no need to be rude or short. just say that you are pressed for time, if you really are. if not, take some time and learn from the old folks. they have lots to share.

theres also another lil old lady that i see walking down the streets on fridays. she walks to the grocery store with her upright cart. what stirkes me is that she always look so glamourous. always done up. with hats. and makeup. one day i will walk with her... if she lets me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,508,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I was traveling through the country and visiting many historic, cultural and scenic locations. Many of these places were staffed by (semi) retired people who worked part time or in a volunteer capacity. While I enjoyed visiting with these older folks for a short time, I got trapped in some long conversations that were hard to get out of without feeling rude.

I was asked many personal questions that in today's society most younger people would never ask a stranger. (Like: Where exactly do I work, am I married, do I have kids, what are my kids names, where did I grow up, etc) I think these type of conversations with strangers were much more common in their day but not anymore.

How do you deal with older people who may have lost their social skills, without feeling like you are being rude?
Maybe we lost our social skills?? nahhhh look how friendly people are these days!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,324,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm very impressed by your sensitivity and concern for the elderly, not to mention your friendliness. Good for you!
thanks. i love old people. and not just my folks who are in their 70's. i would hope that people give them that same respect. i know how thye can be.

having kids or elderly parents will defintely change the way you see things.

thanks AG

Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 PM

Exactly. Younger people these days are pretty anti-social/rude if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Maybe we lost our social skills?? nahhhh look how friendly people are these days!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM

You are so welcome, The One. I'm glad to see somebody stick up for people that are "different". Both of my grandparents were so loving and caring towards me, and they always made great conversations with me and other family members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
thanks. i love old people. and not just my folks who are in their 70's. i would hope that people give them that same respect. i know how thye can be.

having kids or elderly parents will defintely change the way you see things.

thanks AG

Old 10-14-2008, 03:00 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,695,971 times
Old people who ask after you, genuinely interested in your life and pleasant along with it have "lost their social skills"?

What is this world coming when some people think these old people are weird.

I have met more kind, caring, really nice old people here in the US than young people that's for sure.

Maybe the OP needs to learn a few social lessons in life.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:08 PM

485 posts, read 1,658,674 times
Default Hold on

I started this topic because I was curious what people thought about older people who still think it is 1958 instead of 2008. I agree, people now days are cold, unfriendly and not all that interested in anyone other than themselves. I give the older people credit for being more open and expressing an interest in me and my situation.

But I have also ran into quite a few older people who have lost their social skills and ask to many questions that are quite personal in nature. If by chance someone who is 30 years old would ask these types of questions I would be more open to walking away and being a little rude. But if someone is 80, maybe I should be a little more open and forgiving. Or maybe not, your opinion please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Old people who ask after you, genuinely interested in your life and pleasant along with it have "lost their social skills"?

I have met more kind, caring, really nice old people here in the US than young people that's for sure.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:14 PM

I agree with Djuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post

Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,508,130 times
She's gonna be on larry king right after this issue she's raised hit's national prominance!

TONIGHT ON LARRY KING LIVE...

We talk about the growing OLDKINDA problem..

Who are all these old people?
Are they organized?
Do they have a leader?
Why so many qestions...

We'll take your questions right after i plug garlic in it's overpriced pill form,

Old 10-14-2008, 04:35 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,692,532 times
Refugee,

That is not rude or lacking in social skills...that is someone trying to be kind and appear interested in you and your family. If I were you I'd be glad anyone cared enough to ask...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships