Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:36 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post

How do you deal with older people who may have lost their social skills, without feeling like you are being rude?
Just because you think they've lost their social skills doesn't mean you should abandon yours.

Did you ever try asking them questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
I started this topic because I was curious what people thought about older people who still think it is 1958 instead of 2008. I agree, people now days are cold, unfriendly and not all that interested in anyone other than themselves. I give the older people credit for being more open and expressing an interest in me and my situation.

But I have also ran into quite a few older people who have lost their social skills and ask to many questions that are quite personal in nature. If by chance someone who is 30 years old would ask these types of questions I would be more open to walking away and being a little rude. But if someone is 80, maybe I should be a little more open and forgiving. Or maybe not, your opinion please!
Personal questions mean something different to different people, some of it is cultural and some is generational.

In my opinion we need to embrace the wonderful things old people have to offer and not be defensive about their so called 'lack of social skills' or asking questions we deem 'personal'. When they die they will take with them an era where people were a bit more gracious to one another and time was not spent at a maddening pace.

What's divulging some personal information about yourself really matter in the whole scheme of life?

Old 10-14-2008, 04:44 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,527 times
Quote:
I was traveling through the country and visiting many historic, cultural and scenic locations. Many of these places were staffed by (semi) retired people who worked part time or in a volunteer capacity. While I enjoyed visiting with these older folks for a short time, I got trapped in some long conversations that were hard to get out of without feeling rude.

I was asked many personal questions that in today's society most younger people would never ask a stranger. (Like: Where exactly do I work, am I married, do I have kids, what are my kids names, where did I grow up, etc) I think these type of conversations with strangers were much more common in their day but not anymore.

How do you deal with older people who may have lost their social skills, without feeling like you are being rude?
I dont think they have lost their social skills ; I think we've placed too high a price on our own time-agenda and have ended up short changing ourselves (and others).

Old 10-14-2008, 04:48 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
I dont think they have lost their social skills ; I think we've placed too high a price on our own time-agenda and have ended up short changing ourselves (and others).
hear hear!

i do not equate asking "personal" questions like what i do for work as the loss of social skills.

loss of social skills would be those people who run over people and shove past you as they try to get on the train. or people who give dirty looks for no reason. which reminds me, some kids these days have so much sass!!! whats with the attitude and sarcasm? some kids!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
When I used to do volunteer work during college, the supervisor was kind enough to ask me personal questions about what I wanted to do with my life and if I wanted to have kids....she really left a good impression on me, because during college nobody seemed interested in me. I was like WTH is wrong with people these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Refugee,

That is not rude or lacking in social skills...that is someone trying to be kind and appear interested in you and your family. If I were you I'd be glad anyone cared enough to ask...

Old 10-14-2008, 04:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
People make dirty looks for no reason because they are social idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
hear hear!

i do not equate asking "personal" questions like what i do for work as the loss of social skills.

loss of social skills would be those people who run over people and shove past you as they try to get on the train. or people who give dirty looks for no reason. which reminds me, some kids these days have so much sass!!! whats with the attitude and sarcasm? some kids!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:59 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,527 times
'which reminds me, some kids these days have so much sass!!! whats with the attitude and sarcasm? some kids!!!
***************'

REPLY: Its because theres been a mega-shift away from good values, morals, ethics, behaviour, a responsible Media, Parents who responsibly raised their kids....to a strong focus on hedonism/entitlement/hostility/and apathy. Its called : The Post Modern Era. Stay tuned...the schockers you see now will be small potatoes in another 10 years time.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:59 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I was traveling through the country and visiting many historic, cultural and scenic locations. Many of these places were staffed by (semi) retired people who worked part time or in a volunteer capacity. While I enjoyed visiting with these older folks for a short time, I got trapped in some long conversations that were hard to get out of without feeling rude.

I was asked many personal questions that in today's society most younger people would never ask a stranger. (Like: Where exactly do I work, am I married, do I have kids, what are my kids names, where did I grow up, etc) I think these type of conversations with strangers were much more common in their day but not anymore.

Frankly it sounds like you are the one that needs to ACQUIRE social skills.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
I started this topic because I was curious what people thought about older people who still think it is 1958 instead of 2008. I agree, people now days are cold, unfriendly and not all that interested in anyone other than themselves. I give the older people credit for being more open and expressing an interest in me and my situation.

But I have also ran into quite a few older people who have lost their social skills and ask to many questions that are quite personal in nature. If by chance someone who is 30 years old would ask these types of questions I would be more open to walking away and being a little rude. But if someone is 80, maybe I should be a little more open and forgiving. Or maybe not, your opinion please!
When you say "more open to walking away and being a little rude" what do you mean?
Also I'm not understanding why you think it's acceptable to be rude to a younger person but even though you don't like the questions from an older person somehow they get a free pass with you for some reason.

I guess I just don't really understand what you mean Refugee.
Are you saying that it's acceptable to be rude to some people based on their age?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM

1,009 posts, read 708,572 times
Quote:

As many as the others have expressed, it is sad today in 2008 that you and others in society feel this way. Being friendly and asking about ones being and family life is not lacking social skills. I can see if a stranger or an acquaintance were asking how money you have or earn, that would be prying yes and wrong..

Regardless if the person was 80 yrs. or 30 yrs. They both are trying to make conversation and show an interest. Nothing wrong with that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships