Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 PM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times

Advertisements

I was traveling through the country and visiting many historic, cultural and scenic locations. Many of these places were staffed by (semi) retired people who worked part time or in a volunteer capacity. While I enjoyed visiting with these older folks for a short time, I got trapped in some long conversations that were hard to get out of without feeling rude.

I was asked many personal questions that in today's society most younger people would never ask a stranger. (Like: Where exactly do I work, am I married, do I have kids, what are my kids names, where did I grow up, etc) I think these type of conversations with strangers were much more common in their day but not anymore.

How do you deal with older people who may have lost their social skills, without feeling like you are being rude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 01:35 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Oh, that type of conversation is socially acceptable where I live. Just grin and bear it, be very respectful and know that that old fart will be you one day.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
The same way I handle the young morons without any social skills. Avoidance.

Just excuse yourself if the questions are irritating...."Ok. Nice talking to you. I have to get going". That is what I do.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
If u try hard enough you will probably be able to find rude, cold heartless people that don't care if u exist. Keep hunting.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:54 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
You sound like my Mother. She always complained about people snooping in her business if they asked her how she was.

I'll tell you the same thing I always told her. Just because somebody asks you something personal doesnt mean you HAVE to tell them ALL your business. Most people are just being friendly. They dont really want to know where all your moles are located. But then again there are a few that do. Nobody is forcing you to tell all tho ya know.

How many kids do you have. Are those your grand children. She is just tooo cute.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:55 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,747 times
Learn a lesson from them. They have been around a lot longer than you and maybe they know a thing or two about life. If you really don't want to talk then just say' "it was nice talking to you." and move on. Honestly though, they are harmless.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:57 PM

I know. People are so paranoid these days. I think it is because of the media and TV shows like CSI and Law and Order that make it look like every other person is a freakin crazy stalker lol.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:06 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times
The elderly sometimes are very lonely and just want someone to talk to. I would not have been upset with those questions, to me they were not that personal. I have a MIL that loves going to the doctor (she is 90) and is always looking for something to be operated on. I guess I have a soft spot for the elderly.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:10 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
ajajaja, i though this was guna be about ornery, individuals. some old people can be a bit crotchety. since its about old people talking iwill say this much : i would never have a problem with an older person asking me questions like those. i dont think that reflects a loss of social skils. i think they probably have superior social skills. i know i would be as interested in them as well. they are confident enough to talk to perfect strangers.

the other day i was on the bus. on MY bus there is an older gentleman that gets on, hes about 78 or 80. he rides for a couple of stops and gets off one stop before me. i have seen him around for years. this last time i seen him i decided to get off the bus with him, i stopped him and asked him how long hes been in the area. how long hes rode the bus. how often he rides the bus.

we got into a nice conversation about mass transit and what los angeles was like when the street cars ruled (a time he remembers fondly).

i learned a lot. i think older people who ask questions seek to learn. anyone asking a question is looking for answers. i dont think its negative.

after a good 45 mins. i told him i didnt want to hold him up anymore. he wanted to talk more, and i promised next time i see him i would. thats all it required.

OLD PEOPLE LOVE TO TALK!!!

i am very happy and fortunate to encounter them.

I LOVE TO LEARN FROM THEM.

there is no need to be rude or short. just say that you are pressed for time, if you really are. if not, take some time and learn from the old folks. they have lots to share.

theres also another lil old lady that i see walking down the streets on fridays. she walks to the grocery store with her upright cart. what stirkes me is that she always look so glamourous. always done up. with hats. and makeup. one day i will walk with her... if she lets me.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Yes. I can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
The elderly sometimes are very lonely and just want someone to talk to. I would not have been upset with those questions, to me they were not that personal. I have a MIL that loves going to the doctor (she is 90) and is always looking for something to be operated on. I guess I have a soft spot for the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships