Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

How did this turn to be about the forum?! It's a hypothetical question about social groups.
Ummmm
Could it be cause you said so? This is only hypothetical of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Are we talking about CD land or the real world???
Quote:
Both... hypothetically...

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 10-23-2008 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Carry on. Im good to go. I got a whole bag of popcorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Are you talking about cliques?
No, not really... I've never been part of cliques, so I wouldn't even know. It's quite fascinating to me to hear people talking about school or watching movies on that topic. It must've been really hard for them to be in such environment.

What I had in mind was more like people who enjoy ruining everybody else's fun, particularly if they happen to be in a position to do so - for instance, a boss crashing employees' social function knowing he's not wanted there just because he can.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:
You know how there always are some unwanted by the majority people in a social circle. They know it... everybody knows it... What do you think their motivation for staying and intruding is?
I know you cannot mean me. We've already flung sand at each other about a year ago when I was living back in Phoenix. . and you'd just take another handful and spell it out for me. You respect me like that.

Cliques are a non-issue in my personal life. I hang with the grown-ups now.

Well. I need to read this thread to catch up.

Edit/Add-on after reading all of the thread: Oh, no. Definitely don't have this issue offline. But if we ever do get cliques at CD, can I get dibbs for the Cheerleader clique please??? Mean Girl clique???

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 10-23-2008 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Finally read thread in its entirety!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
At least you have compassion. What are social cues that let somebody know they are not wanted in the circle? My guess would be they would not call and invite you out, or they would tell you directly.

I don't know if Sierra is talking about people that are just constant downers and always competing with everything....I wouldn't want those types in my social circle.... Sierra could you expand please. Are we talking about people that are negative losers or are we talking about rejecting people for some other subtle reason....

Quote:
I know what you are talking about and I think in most cases there is no malice in their intentions, they are not picking up the necessary social cues, they are lonely, they so not want to be alone in a social situation. This is when I become a sucker...I have a very tight knit group of friends and I always try to include the socially awkward folks into the fold.

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-23-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
You respect me like that.
True. I do. You and I normally say to each other what we have to say, should we be able to that is...

Old 10-23-2008, 10:33 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
HAHA, yeah really, cliques are great for high school. I wasn't even part of that back in high school, I totally ignored most people. I became friends with other people who weren't popular, and they ended up being the coolest kids!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:33 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
At least you have compassion.

I don't know if Sierra is talking about people that are just constant downers and always competing with everything....I wouldn't want those types in my social circle.... could you expand please.
Expand on what? Why I try to bring them in? Why my friends are so tight it may be hard to bring someone else in?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 PM

lol I came on here ranting and raving about my ex roommate driving me up a wall and a few people were lecturing me like I was some stupid ignorant child and trying to start fights. Pretty pitiful.

Quote:
I am unsure if this is based on anything that went on here but to respond to the ones who think it is, I was new not that long ago and was welcomed with open arms..well, monitors and keyboards. I never felt that I was being ostracized or dismissed.

Maybe Sierra is referring to a situation other than CD.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:42 PM

Do you bring in socially awkward people so your real friends reject them? lol I've seen people do that. It's weird.

Quote:
Expand on what? Why I try to bring them in? Why my friends are so tight it may be hard to bring someone else in?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:42 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol I came on here ranting and raving about my ex roommate driving me up a wall and a few people were lecturing me like I was some stupid ignorant child. Pretty pitiful.
Should I ask who was ranting and raving? Nevermind

I am sorry you were not treated like you should have been. Do you think it is better now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships