U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,931,450 times

Advertisements

It is incredibly rude. Amazingly rude. If they find her food nauseating, then they should stuff their faces before they come. Then, they can just excuse themselves for not being hungry and pick at what is edible. Honestly, they're adults and they just need to suck it up. If others can eat it, then so can they. It's apparent they're not on some special diet if McDonald's is what they're eating. I'm sure their excuse is that it's for the kids, but that's total bull.

Sadly, I have seen this done to others. It would hurt my feelings if anyone were to do that to me. They'd never get another invitation to my home. If it were family, I guess you'd have to invite them, but I wouldn't set a place for them at the table. They'd get to eat in the garage and I'd consider letting the dog go along for company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:39 PM

16,227 posts, read 22,515,127 times
I can see that you were not made to clean your plate when you were little.
Sometimes, as we grow older, and mature, its the "adult" thing to do.
My MIL gave me a jar of homemade pickles that was absoulutely horrible!!
Now, should I tell her that this things suck? Or be polite, and tell her that they are good? She put alot of work into them...

Old 10-24-2008, 05:41 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,751,875 times
We treat each other with the upmost respect at our "Family" gatherings.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:47 PM

I do want my husband to be honest with me, when I make something new that he doesn`t care for, but thats just because if he lies to me, and tells me that he likes it, I will make it over and over again.
He won`t come out and say," Man, this really sucks, but he will say," uumm, its ok." lol... Then, I know to mark it off, and not make it again.
I think thats a little diffrent, than going to a family gathering, and taking food in.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 PM

40,130 posts, read 39,671,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Of course it is not rude. You are being silly and petulant.
Ok, I'll take the bait.

Artsy, you have in the past said that in your experience "6 out of 10" people you meet or have dealt with are what you describe as "toxic".

So using your own words, you don't find that kind of behavior as leaning toward "toxic".

To go to someone's house and be blatantly rude. I'm not saying you need to eat. Just don't go out and bring back food.

And btw the food she makes is standard fare, stuff that most people would eat.

It's not like she's making Duck a L'Orange

Old 10-24-2008, 06:16 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,273,741 times
So she is not serving Kentucky fried possum? hmmm interesting.

However, it is not toxic. I find toxic people to keep people in the dark, ostracize them without much notice or care, not be direct or respectful about important matters, lie, cut down with insults, manipulate, connive, use people as a patsy, block relationships from forming, etc. I do not see that being done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

It's not like she's making Duck a L'Orange

Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 PM

9,823 posts, read 20,057,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I can see that you were not made to clean your plate when you were little.
Sometimes, as we grow older, and mature, its the "adult" thing to do.
My MIL gave me a jar of homemade pickles that was absoulutely horrible!!
Now, should I tell her that this things suck? Or be polite, and tell her that they are good? She put alot of work into them...
Pickles are always a difficult topic. Usually I accept them graciously and try to serve them or give them to friends who like pickles. Then I hope the topic never comes up again.

Or you could simply say that you don't care for pickles and thank her anyway.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So she is not serving Kentucky fried possum? hmmm interesting.

However, it is not toxic. I find toxic people to keep people in the dark, ostracize them without much notice or care, not be direct or respectful about important matters, lie, cut down with insults, manipulate, connive, use people as a patsy, block relationships from forming, etc. I do not see that being done.
You need to add rude to that list.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:31 PM

He`s not mature enough.... lol....

Old 10-24-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
It is incredibly rude. Amazingly rude. If they find her food nauseating, then they should stuff their faces before they come. Then, they can just excuse themselves for not being hungry and pick at what is edible. Honestly, they're adults and they just need to suck it up. If others can eat it, then so can they. It's apparent they're not on some special diet if McDonald's is what they're eating. I'm sure their excuse is that it's for the kids, but that's total bull.

Sadly, I have seen this done to others. It would hurt my feelings if anyone were to do that to me. They'd never get another invitation to my home. If it were family, I guess you'd have to invite them, but I wouldn't set a place for them at the table. They'd get to eat in the garage and I'd consider letting the dog go along for company.
What did the poor dog do to deserve that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships