U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,689,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Did you set Thanksgiving dinner rules Mrstewart? If not then she just assumes she can do as she pleases which isn't her fault if you guys are a close family.
You know Artsy, you may be on to something...I should post the Rules of Etiquette (or Rules of Engagement) at the door...

Seriously, don't you think it's tacky to bring this sort of crap and talk bad about the fresh, homemade food that is being made for you and your family? Maye I will get her a box of Franzia and a bag of pork rinds for Christmas this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,332,957 times
You can appreciate the hard work and the friendship but you don't have to humor them and flatter them because that is really dishonest and insincere...and I would be more insulted by the dishonesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I agree it's rude, and I'm a vegetarian, so there are many times I can only eat a few things on the menu since my friends & family are crazy about meat...but I eat what I can, and I tell them the meat dishes "look delicious" even though I can't eat them, that way they don't feel bad about it. I do have one friend who is a terrible cook, and she tries so hard! I grin and bear it, pretend it's incredibly palateable, and go puke it up later...(just kidding!) I would never let her think I don't appreciate all her hard work, no matter how ugly it may taste!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:03 PM

Don't be passive aggressive. Just say it in English if you find it to be rude and insulting. That way she doesn't do it anymore. If she does repeat her rudeness then do not invite her to your dinners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
You know Artsy, you may be on to something...I should post the Rules of Etiquette (or Rules of Engagement) at the door...

Seriously, don't you think it's tacky to bring this sort of crap and talk bad about the fresh, homemade food that is being made for you and your family? Maye I will get her a box of Franzia and a bag of pork rinds for Christmas this year

Old 10-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Don't be passive aggressive. Just say it in English if you find it to be rude and insulting. That way she doesn't do it anymore. If she does repeat her rudeness then do not invite her to your dinners.
She is not invited back into my home so no need to have that discussion. That is another story...

Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 PM

16,227 posts, read 22,549,604 times
You can sit here, and tell me, that if you were married.(HA HA) and you have any idea what anyone here is talking about... (again, ha ha ..)
then you can relate to families such as MIL, etc...
That you would bring in Mcdonalds food, rather than eat her food that I`m sure she worked hard to cook.
Grow up a few years...come back with this same post.... bha ha ha ha .....

Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,936,784 times
Quote:
You people are way too sensitive and whining for no reason. If it is so RUDE then tell them it is rude and say what you prefer, don't be so weak.
Joke, as defined by Merriam Webster.

1 a: something said or done to provoke laughter ; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1): the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2): an instance of jesting : kidding <can't take a joke>

Really, I was just trying to have some fun with you, but I guess I'm bad at joking.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 PM

So it sounds like you were already upset with her for other reasons...and I'm not discounting that....I'm just curious as to what that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
She is not invited back into my home so no need to have that discussion. That is another story...

Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
So it sounds like you were already upset with her for other reasons...and I'm not discounting that....I'm just curious as to what that is...
Years and years of hurtful situations...not enough time to tell you all of it.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 PM

sorry you need to use smilies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Joke, as defined by Merriam Webster.

1 a: something said or done to provoke laughter ; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1): the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2): an instance of jesting : kidding <can't take a joke>

Really, I was just trying to have some fun with you, but I guess I'm bad at joking.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,936,784 times
Okay. I promise to use smilies from now on. Can we call a truce now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships