U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:21 PM

40,452 posts, read 39,973,507 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if this happens at your family gathering. When we have family get togethers for birthdays etc, we usually go to my MIL's house. She would usually cook dinner or have some kind of food out for everyone to eat. My SO's brother and his wife have in the past, excused themselves and went and got McDonald's to eat for themselves and the kids. Now I don't want to be prissy but I find this incredibly rude.

I wouldn't in a million years do something like this. Have you guys ever seen this or done it yourselves??

It's beside the point but it seems like an extra insult because their getting garbage like McDonald's. It's like saying your food is so crappy that I gotta get McDonald's.

No offense to people who like McDonald's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:24 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,419,392 times
No, it is not really rude. They just do not like her food. End of story.

I have passed on asparagus before at My Aunt's dinner and my belligerent Aunt kept harassing me in front of everyone to eat it or else....so I was like fine and I nibbled on it in disgust for a few hours...

Old 10-24-2008, 05:27 PM

9,875 posts, read 20,160,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was wondering if this happens at your family gathering. When we have family get togethers for birthdays etc, we usually go to my MIL's house. She would usually cook dinner or have some kind of food out for everyone to eat. My SO's brother and his wife have in the past, excused themselves and went and got McDonald's to eat for themselves and the kids. Now I don't want to be prissy but I find this incredibly rude.

I wouldn't in a million years do something like this. Have you guys ever seen this or done it yourselves??

It's beside the point but it seems like an extra insult because their getting garbage like McDonald's. It's like saying your food is so crappy that I gotta get McDonald's.

No offense to people who like McDonald's.
That is really weird. And rude. Who taught them manners?

Old 10-24-2008, 05:27 PM

Maybe they think her food is repulsive and nauseating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
That is really weird. And rude. Who taught them manners?

Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 22,602,281 times
I have never done this, but my ex`s brother in law used to go out to eat, knowing damn well that his MIL had a big dinner fixed for Thanksgiving.
She would be furious when she found out, because usually he would come in late. She always had these awesome dinners fixed anyway, and she was always proud of it. Yes. That is quite rude.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:29 PM

40,452 posts, read 39,973,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No, it is not really rude. They just do not like her food. End of story.

I have passed on asparagus before at My Aunt's dinner and my belligerent Aunt kept harassing me in front of everyone to eat it or else....so I was like fine and I nibbled on it in disgust for a few hours...
Your really don't think that it is rude? I'm mean even just a little rude?

If there is something they don't like fine, don't eat it, but to go out and bring back food from somewhere else and eat it right in front of my MIL.

That's not rude??

Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM

That is Thanksgiving. Huge difference. The OP was talking about a family get together and some of her guests find her food revolting....must we turn this into a Salem Witch Trial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I have never done this, but my ex`s brother in law used to go out to eat, knowing damn well that his MIL had a big dinner fixed for Thanksgiving.
She would be furious when she found out, because usually he would come in late. She always had these awesome dinners fixed anyway, and she was always proud of it. Yes. That is quite rude.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM

9,875 posts, read 20,160,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Maybe they think her food is repulsive and nauseating.
It doesn't matter if they don't like her food. It's simply bad manners. Sorry if you don't agree.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Of course it is not rude. You are being silly and petulant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Your really don't think that it is rude? I'm mean even just a little rude?

If there is something they don't like fine, don't eat it, but to go out and bring back food from somewhere else and eat it right in front of my MIL.

That's not rude??

Old 10-24-2008, 05:32 PM

So they should eat food that is God Awful? I do not get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It doesn't matter if they don't like her food. It's simply bad manners. Sorry if you don't agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships