Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,455 times

Advertisements

SO WHATS WITH ALL THE AGRO ON THESE FORUMS, WHY CAN'T PEOPLE JUST GET ALONG ?

Look I must admit that this forum is generally tame.
But once in while you see people get all worked up.

I just don't get it.

Its a Forum.
Look when I get home from work, I like for nothing more than crashing on the couch with my favorite glass of Red and my laptop and unwind.To forget about my world for a while.I look forward to having a deep/meaningful/witty/funny discussions on forums like citydata to get away from that world.
And for the most part I do.
But then it starts.
Someone doesn't quite agree with what someone says (Hello,isn't that what where here for.To listen to different opinions)Then you see others totally misinterpret what someone says.
Then it all gets all personal.
They start believing its a personal attack on them there culture/race/sex/religion/country/politics/education what ever.Look I have not been on this forum for to long but already I can tell there are some people on here that are much more and less intelligent/mature/worldly/liberal/witty than what I am.If someone doesn't agree with me then fine.If I think their post is stupid then fine.I will just tell my point of view and be done with it But I will never stoop to a personal attack.
No one on hear knows what any one here is really like despite what you might think.I'm sure if most people met each other on here in person I bet you would all be surprised what kind of people they really are .Good or Bad.

Sorry about ranting on, just something I got to get off my chest.The world's gone to hell but maybe I can fix my forum.

So what are your opinions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:06 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
People disagree its like. People have different points of view and hold on to those points. Besides if everyone agreed how would ideas be exchanged and it would get boring too.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Well....with a name like HairyandScary I'm hardly going to disagree with you now am I?

People get cranky sometimes and it's not like everyone is always going to agree. What a beige old world that would be!

That said, I do think people find it hard to determine "intention" on the internet. We all filter what we read through our own biases and life views.
Plus we're missing visual cues like hand gestures and facial expressions, not to mention we can't hear how someone is talking. What could just be a quick little quip meant for fun can be taken as a personal slur against someone when that's not what was meant at all. And then of course there's all out fisty cuffs at 50 paces between some folk sometimes.

So I don't know, I guess I just go with that quote my Gran used to say often, no idea who originally said it, goes like this.

"I may not agree with what you say but I defend to the death your right to say it"

And if that one doesn't grab you there's always

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"

Focus on the happy!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:27 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,491 times
Its peoples lives, they are soooo bored, not enough action.

Plus its Americans and their free speech hang up.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:54 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
HairyandScary & moonshadow - excellent points both of you! A little more tolerance on some things & indulgence on others .... I think a forum can present a lot of different views. Most of the disagreements stay polite & mature, but the ones where it gets into a cyber shouting match ....well, I feel sorry for the moderators!

Old 11-02-2008, 03:34 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Most of the time we all get along, considering how many different personalities and backgrounds we all come from...

Personally I think emotions are high with all of the doom and gloom about the economy and the election...

Hopefully everything will recalibrate itself in a few days...

Old 11-02-2008, 03:44 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Most of the time we all get along, considering how many different personalities and backgrounds we all come from...

Personally I think emotions are high with all of the doom and gloom about the economy and the election...

Hopefully everything will recalibrate itself in a few days...
No doubt, I can't wait for the election to be over, I know this isn't the political forum, but man it feels like they've campaigning for years now.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:46 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
No doubt, I can't wait for the election to be over, I know this isn't the political forum, but man it feels like they've campaigning for years now.
I know...I'm exhausted...

All of a sudden Virginia is considered a "Swing State" and we have had all of the candidates here in Richmond...even McCains mother...I think it was his mother... We are just not big enough to re route traffic all the time and not hit glitches...

Old 11-02-2008, 06:22 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well....with a name like HairyandScary I'm hardly going to disagree with you now am I?

People get cranky sometimes and it's not like everyone is always going to agree. What a beige old world that would be!

That said, I do think people find it hard to determine "intention" on the internet. We all filter what we read through our own biases and life views.
Plus we're missing visual cues like hand gestures and facial expressions, not to mention we can't hear how someone is talking. What could just be a quick little quip meant for fun can be taken as a personal slur against someone when that's not what was meant at all. And then of course there's all out fisty cuffs at 50 paces between some folk sometimes.

So I don't know, I guess I just go with that quote my Gran used to say often, no idea who originally said it, goes like this.

"I may not agree with what you say but I defend to the death your right to say it"

And if that one doesn't grab you there's always

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"

Focus on the happy!
Good point, I think with out those visual cues like hand gestures and facial expressions can lead to many misinterpretations.

Oh also don't let the name HairyandScary fool you
I'm really more like a puppy dog

Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Dear OP

Maybe it is because people don't want to get along. It is that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships