Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:53 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Not sure if this the best place for this request. We have kind of a touchy situation with a neighbor. He has so many 'toys' parked in the driveway, that he can't park his vehicles there and must park them on the street. Usually in front of my house because there is shade. Because DH and DS2 have such different schedules, it is easier for DS2 to park on the street which means he usually has to park down the street.

When he first moved in, he complained about the forsythia branches alongside the house scratching his boat. Well, we couldn't ever get in to prune them because he always had the damn boat in the way (my blood pressure is already rising- I can feel it!). So in the end, we took all the shrubs, which my late husband had bought for me, out and replaced them with slow-growing evergreens.

He got rid of the boat and bought a camping trailer when his daughter was born. Instead of keeping it behind the fence, it was always sticking out in front of house which is a violation of city code. He always claimed that he had 72 hours from Sunday night when they got home to unload it, which would be Wednesday. On Wednesday, he claimed he had 72 hours to load it so they could leave on Friday.

In the meantime, his car would be parked in either in front of my house or in front of his and half the time the street sweepers, for which I am paying tax dollars, would not sweep in front of my house because they couldn't manuver that tight around his vehicle.

I just saw the the leaf removal truck go down the other side of the street, and guess what.....? He has got a vehicle on the street because now he has two, count 'em, 2 freaking trailers in his yard. I am sure he doesn't care if the removal truck comes or not because he has no trees. I do, I am disabled and I don't want to have to go clean up the leaves, and I don't think I should have to ask my husband or my son to do it, since we are paying to have it done.

I have calls in to both the DPS and the code enforcement officer about the situation. I am sure they won't want to get involved unless I file an offical complaint. I am trying to figure out how to stay on good terms with this guy. I don't think he even realizes how he takes advantage of the situation- I know he doesn't do it on purpose, I think he is just that dense! Any constructive suggestions? I have come up with lots of unconstructive ones on my own! lol If not, thanks for letting me vent.
you are doing the right thing so far, I think you should sit down and talk to him in a firm way and try to resolve all your issues. The back and forth has to stop, you guys need to reach a compromise where he understands your delima and respects it and you understand his delima and respect it. If you start calling the police or code inforcement officers on him without discussing it first its going to get nasty. if hes the vindictive type he is capable of anything. I had a similar situation and it wasn't handled properly. I had a 79 camaro as my only car and i parked in front of the house i was renting a room from. The car was parked and moved everyday meaning i drove it. We had this lady that sat in her house and kept calling on my car over and over again claiming that it was abandoned.She just did not like the looks of the car which there is nothing i can do about it, im not rich and that was the car i had at the time. It came to a point that i could not even have one day off on the weekend without having to drive my car away in order to save it from being towed. One day i saw the code inforcement officer trying to call a tow truck and i ran out side and gave him a firm talking to explaining my situation and the fact that the lady had been abusing her rights to call on me when i wasn't violating any codes and i explained how i cannot afford to have my car towed because i commute in it for work everyday. He understood i was not the type to play games and he made note and the calls stopped. Needless to say i was the victom of someone who abused those rights and it was wrong. All i can say is what goes around comes around. i was just explaining from both sides, even though your neighbor seems clearly at fault and he is wrong. If he will not sit down and civily come to a comprimise that can benefit the both of you , you need to call the city code enforcement, trust me they DO work, lol. All i am saying is if someone else was being wronged in my situation that person might have not had as much characture as i did and would result to violent actions out of the amount of frustration it causes, just be prepaired. Good luck with your situation, i really hope your neighbor can stop hogging the streets, he needs to learn the world does not revolve around him. lol

Last edited by okie333; 11-06-2008 at 04:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:16 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
We have a very loose HOA in our neighborhood and if you break the "rules" you just get shunned from the neighborhood parties until you straighten up...works well...

Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
^Sounds like Nazi Germany dude. I wouldn't want to live there or be invited to any "neighborhood parties."

Where I live everybody is an island unto themselves...so it doesn't matter what "the neighbors" say, think, or do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
We have a very loose HOA in our neighborhood and if you break the "rules" you just get shunned from the neighborhood parties until you straighten up...works well...

Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
^Sounds like Nazi Germany dude. I wouldn't want to live there or be invited to any "neighborhood parties."
Why...it works and our neighborhood looks wonderful...everyone knows what is expected of them...

Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 PM

It's abusive. Normal people have discussions, are understanding of other people's short comings, and they send out notices. Abusive people use mind control and cold shoulder to manipulate, belittle, and control others. I wouldn't want to live in that type of atmosphere.

Also are the HOA rules spelled out in a manual or code book?

Quote:
Why...it works and our neighborhood looks wonderful...everyone knows what is expected of them...

Old 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
It's abusive. Normal people have discussions, are understanding of other people's short comings, and they send out notices. Abusive people use mind control and cold shoulder to manipulate, belittle, and control others. I wouldn't want to live in that type of atmosphere.

Also are the HOA rules spelled out in a manual or code book?
Sure they are written out but our neighborhood is very old and there are just certain expectations that are obvious...everyone knows the expectations and we never have to worry about resale...actually, it is very rare to ever see a for sale sign in yards because the houses are usualyy sold by word of mouth at cocktail parties. It works for us and people love living here.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
This is why I love HOA's!
What's an HOA?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What's an HOA?
Home Owners Association

Old 11-06-2008, 05:06 PM

I've never lived in one of those types of areas. Sounds cultish Are you their leader??

Quote:
Sure they are written out but our neighborhood is very old and there are just certain expectations that are obvious...everyone knows the expectations and we never have to worry about resale...actually, it is very rare to ever see a for sale sign in yards because the houses are usualyy sold by word of mouth at cocktail parties. It works for us and people love living here.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I've never lived in one of those types of areas. Sounds cultish Are you their leader??
Of course I am! I only wear black, have a roll of quarters in my pocket for the after life and we all sleep in bunk beds just like Heavens Gate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships