U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2008, 04:59 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 48,342,225 times
Reputation: 6957

Advertisements

why? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Online friendships are VERY difficult to transcend into the physical world. And once you do, it will never be the same. I used to have a "best friend" online when I was a teenager, and meeting in real life was the worst thing that ever happened to our friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2008, 05:01 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,521 posts, read 13,958,748 times
Reputation: 8079
Not everyone has the same experience as you.

Just curious, why was it "the worst" thing ever to happen?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Online friendships are VERY difficult to transcend into the physical world. And once you do, it will never be the same. I used to have a "best friend" online when I was a teenager, and meeting in real life was the worst thing that ever happened to our friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 05:15 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,694,470 times
Reputation: 7404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Not everyone has the same experience as you.

Just curious, why was it "the worst" thing ever to happen?
I wish an online friendship gone bad was the worst thing that ever happened to me....trade ya'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 05:17 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,521 posts, read 13,958,748 times
Reputation: 8079
My feelings exactly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I wish an online friendship gone bad was the worst thing that ever happened to me....trade ya'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,356,461 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
It never occurs to me that someone would be lying...what is the point?? Of course I know they do but I guess I never think someone will lie to me Here comes Polly again...
Some people are predators and prey upon the good nature of trusting souls. You sound like you are such a person (the good one!). Be careful.

I met two men off the Net. One tried to extort money out of me by threatening suicide if I didn't give him a loan. The other showed up on my doorstep with $8 in his pocket and a wife who sent me nasty emails.

I shudder to think about those experiences. For me, the Net is a way to distract myself and deal with times when I am bored and just want to do much of nothing. Not for meeting quality people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 05:24 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,694,470 times
Reputation: 7404
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Some people are predators and prey upon the good nature of trusting souls. You sound like you are such a person (the good one!). Be careful.

I met two men off the Net. One tried to extort money out of me by threatening suicide if I didn't give him a loan. The other showed up on my doorstep with $8 in his pocket and a wife who sent me nasty emails.

I shudder to think about those experiences. For me, the Net is a way to distract myself and deal with times when I am bored and just want to do much of nothing. Not for meeting quality people.
You are sweet to say so but I have a feeling the only relationships I will have online are the ones I have now. The odds of me being stalked are probably pretty slim...

I am sorry you had such horrible encounters...how did you get rid of them??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 05:29 PM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,356,461 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
You are sweet to say so but I have a feeling the only relationships I will have online are the ones I have now. The odds of me being stalked are probably pretty slim...

I am sorry you had such horrible encounters...how did you get rid of them??
Well, the one told me he was in the process of offing himself via email. I called the LAPD and, boy, was this guy angry with me for doing so when the cops showed up on his doorstep! Turns out he really wasn't killing himself, just threatening me and trying to get money out of me. He disappeared shortly thereafter.

The other one - ugh. I don't even like to remember it. I guess I just told him I wanted nothing to do with him. Yeah, that was it. I told him I had moved on and was engaged (lie). I was involved with someone else at the time, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 05:32 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,694,470 times
Reputation: 7404
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, the one told me he was in the process of offing himself via email. I called the LAPD and, boy, was this guy angry with me for doing so when the cops showed up on his doorstep! Turns out he really wasn't killing himself, just threatening me and trying to get money out of me. He disappeared shortly thereafter.

The other one - ugh. I don't even like to remember it. I guess I just told him I wanted nothing to do with him. Yeah, that was it. I told him I had moved on and was engaged (lie). I was involved with someone else at the time, however.
Oh my gosh...that is like a bad Law and Order! I'm sure it was scary, nontheless...

Well, watch out for Artsy if you don't want to be stalked or harrassed

Just kidding...Artsy is funny...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 78,926,627 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
It never occurs to me that someone would be lying...what is the point?? Of course I know they do but I guess I never think someone will lie to me Here comes Polly again...
Welcome back, Polly! Long time no see! Sheesh... almost since your baptism! I must've jinxed ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Online friendships are VERY difficult to transcend into the physical world. And once you do, it will never be the same.
That's true. Then you have to start watching your mouth online - not fun! Or lose your online fun altogether - which happened to me once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
The odds of me being stalked are probably pretty slim...
Ya never know when I'll decide to come and boil your bunny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 32,325,675 times
Reputation: 11452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
It never occurs to me that someone would be lying...what is the point?? Of course I know they do but I guess I never think someone will lie to me Here comes Polly again...
I am like the Grand Jury. I believe all statements to be true to the best of the posters knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top