Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
OK, I will tell you all - if there's anyone in the Atlanta area who has no family and would like to come to Newnan for Thanksgiving on the Saturday after - let me know - you are all welcome. After my in-laws leave, we can break out the wine.
Awwwwwww......
That was sweet!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
Quote:
OK, I will tell you all - if there's anyone in the Atlanta area who has no family and would like to come to Newnan for Thanksgiving on the Saturday after - let me know - you are all welcome. After my in-laws leave, we can break out the wine.
In Va now, but if I still lived in Atlanta, would most def drive down and have a glass of wine with you!!! LOVE me some wine!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:11 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihab View Post
Many of us doesn’t have any friends except net friends.
We know each other mostly by fake names..
Sometimes we call other people.. "best friend"..
Simply this doesn’t happen in real life..

Mostly you can't describe any one as a best friend, unless you know him well.
But on the other hand, we heard about thousands of love and marriage stories had happened through the internet.
Once, I heard my professor says "I can't talk well to anybody in the dark, I need to see his face".
So, can the relationship be a real friendship through the net?.
Speak for yourself.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
I sure hope some internet relationships will turn one day into real-life friendships.
It didn't happen yet , though....

Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,891 times
I do think net friendships are real friendships, or at least they can be. I mean, what is friendship if not spending time with each other and supporting each other?

My fiancée and I met online, where we became aware of each other on a forum just like this. It started with messages on the website, then progressed to instant messaging and texts. We spent many many nights keeping each other company online for hours and hours with instant messages, kept in touch by text when we were away from our computers, and eventually added phone calls into the mix. All of this was the best friendship I've ever had. Eventually we decided I would drive out from Detroit to visit her in Charlotte when I had a couple weeks off for vacation. I did. We were both exactly how we had represented ourselves online, and our online chemistry and friendship translated perfectly into the "real world". I now live in Charlotte, and we're engaged to be married. If that's not real, I don't know what is.

So yes, I think online friendships can be real -- sometimes more so than real-life "friendships". People who are two-faced and selfish can be just as fake in person as they can be on the internet. I think the same criteria we use in determining if a real-life friendship is "real" are pretty much the same ones we can use online. Your mileage may vary.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:37 AM

Back in the day when not everyone and the kitchen sink had a computer (1998) I joined a group that later became a full website and forum. We used it as a networking platform and many of us got to know earch other well. Because of work some of us actually met. In any case it was a tight group that grew over the years. It's still around but not the same place I knew as many of us have moved on but it was good while it lasted and I met some awesome people that I will never forget.

With these people, many were real I guess it was before every kid had a computer, so you were dealing with real people, some quite accomplished that didn't have to bull **** as is many do these days. Since then I'm more private and really haven't gone out of my way to meet people although 2 1/2 years a go I did hire a womans husband. I'd originally met her on a very large forum.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:11 AM

Even more reason to avoid some people from message boards. I've had someone from this forum who can't shut off his on line life from his real life DMing me to reiterate what he has already posted here and to let me know that mature broads aint all that and how being young and hot is all that matters seriously dude, must you?

Anyways...it's just after noon here in London but it's after 4 am in LA and you've been sending messages all night. Listen, put the pipe down take a xanax and start a new day when you awake.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihab View Post
Many of us doesn’t have any friends except net friends.
We know each other mostly by fake names..
Sometimes we call other people.. "best friend"..
Simply this doesn’t happen in real life..

Mostly you can't describe any one as a best friend, unless you know him well.
But on the other hand, we heard about thousands of love and marriage stories had happened through the internet.
Once, I heard my professor says "I can't talk well to anybody in the dark, I need to see his face".
So, can the relationship be a real friendship through the net?.
Look at our favorite C-D couple Rance & Sweden!

For you & anyone else who shares your opinion; get out! Get out there in the world & DO make "real life" friends! What's stopping you?? Absolutely I think an online friendship can be as legit as a "3D" one - just reading all the responses to your post should convince you of that. But if you are using the net as your crutch so you can avoid the face to face interactions....well, that's just sad. There are lots of avenues to explore in order to meet people - online is just one.

I see your professor's point, but I think the flip side can be true also. I made a few posts here on CD that I seriously doubt I would have ever had the guts to say in person...easier to show a vulnerable side of oneself via the net than face to face - IMO.

Every friendship brings something different to the table; are you satisfied having only internet friends? Great if yes, but if no, join some activities & groups, contact your alumni assn. to be included in the next get together. BE a friend to MAKE a friend!

Old 11-17-2008, 06:07 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Quote:
Right after I retired (about 7 years ago) I read an article in our local newspaper about an author who had written some books and there were "groups" around the country who were Sweet Potato Queens wannabees. I joined the message board and went to a parade in Jackson Ms where there were about 10 thousand or so women who were SPQs. From there, I met several people who have become almost like family. We have met at the beach, in Las Vegas, was honorary moms to a young friend who was getting married in FL and her mother would not attend. There is a group of about 12 of us that are "sisters of the heart." There are also lots of other friendships out there also. If any of us are travelling, we can put a shout out and see who lives where and if they would like to meet up. Some people you like and can bond with, others you can say nah, they're not my type, etc. I do have friends in real life too.
I was on a Delbert McClinton Sandy Beaches cruise & the author of the SPQ books (Jill something?) was one of the performers! Her "wannabees" went all over the ship & by the end of the week had recruited a dozen more SPQ wannabees! It was a hoot!!!

BTW OP- that is an EXCELLENT way to make new friends: join an activity you already like solo (such as rocking out to great music!) - & you will surely meet kindred spirits!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,465 times
Piperspal, that is Jill Conner Brown. She is the author of the SPQ books. I was even on Good Morning America once when she was being interviewed. Not just in the crowd, but standing right behind her. Did you happen to meet a redhaided "Martha Jean" and Mr. Bill? They have been on most of the Delbert cruises in the last few years. She entertains he and his group when they are in the Mobile, AL area.

I haven't been to the parade in about 3 years, but am planning on going this year. It is a hoot and if you like to have fun, that is the place to be around St Patrick's Day in Jackson, MS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships